Monday, October 10, 2005

Lessons on success

It's a funny thing how a day goes down. I go in spurts of productiveness. Take today for example, I started out strong, up at the butt-crack-of-dawn for a quick run before the rest of the household awakens. I then simultaneously helped kids get ready for school while cleaning up the kitchen and picking up the living room. Look at me! I'm awesome! I can multi-task and my exercise for the day is out of the way. Wait, I spoke too soon, the middle of the night Gemmafest is catching up with me and I am feeling a mid morning drowsiness come over me. While Gemma naps and the two little boys stare at the TV screen, I doze on the couch. What happened to my adrenaline? I think it is napping too. And now I'm up, and I have plans of getting supper started in the middle of the day. Remember the lasagna day? I'm going for it, but this time I will step it up a notch and make HOMEMADE chicken and noodles. As in make-your-own-noodles, homemade. WOW! I'm a super star again! But it seems that supper's main-dish has hijacked my day. I ran out of flour and ended up at the noodle ER (my mom's). I spent two hours of my afternoon watching noodles dry. But all was not lost, in fact, the boys had a lot of fun playing with my sister Holly who is home for a week. They played with grasshoppers together, Bubba, if you are on a first name basis with the bug. Four to seven was it's usual chaotic whirlwind of homework and spelling lists and babies who want their Mama to hold them. But seven to nine turned out to be quite a fascinating two hours for me. I turned it on and knocked out some major house work. Laundry was put away, rooms were picked up, dishes were done. Camryn and I even pulled off a school project in the middle of it all.

I'm still trying to learn how to measure my success.It's a battle I have been fighting since my first day as a mother. With my head, feel like checking off to-do lists and having a tidy house, free of dust means I have accomplished what was needed, and that I'm good at what I do. My heart knows that it's the conversations at bedtime, the sitting down and explaining a math problem (I admit, that wasn't me, I referred him directly to Nate. 5th grade math is HARD!). It's the hugs and kisses and cleaning up after a bloody nose. It's the time spent admiring a bug named Bubba, the 15 diaper changes a day, the time just sitting there while the baby nurses. I don't always have to mulitask to be successful. Sometimes I just shouldn't. Sometimes they just need to know that they have Mom's full attention, and THAT is when I am a success. Frozen pizzas for supper tomorrow night, I promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wise words.