Saturday, October 01, 2005

The Big Show




It was loud. Very very loud.

The kind of loud that you can feel vibrating deep in your chest. The kind of loud where you have to yell directly into your husband's ear, so that you can tell him "OHMYGOSH, THIS IS MY FAVORITE SONG!" The kind of loud that causes you to speak about four times louder than normal for the rest of the night, but you don't know it, you think you are talking in a normal voice. Ok, first of all, they only played one song off of their newest album. Maybe they were sick of playing those songs over and over, since they just got done with that tour. Or maybe they played all old songs because they had some other guy playing bass. Their bass player, Tomas, hit his head while skateboarding earlier that day, and was in the hospital. Poor Tomas, I hope he's ok. So they played all old music, and we loved it. For all you Blindside fans out there, they played "Pitiful" and "Sleepwalking" and "Fell in Love with the Game" and "All of Us" and "Cute Boring Love" and "About a Burning Fire". I know, it's not that many, but they were just an opener.

Don't worry, Gemma's ear drums are fine. I plugged her little ears the whole time. She slept through the whole thing, so that goes to show you just how loud it really is around our house. I can literally vacuum right next to my babies' crib while they are sleeping, and they don't even flinch. They must have selective hearing that improves with age, because from two years on up, they can hear us open a can of pop. And that's in another room, over the noise of the TV and over the noise of the fake cough that we both do to disguise the telltale fizzy noise. To no avail, they all appear at the door of the kitchen, looking for a can of their own.

This was my fourth Blindside show, and I will remember it fondly. The first was with Nate and my brother, Gabe, who was a sophomore at the time. We were right in the heart of the crowd, and Gabe crowd surfed, but lost his favorite hat. The teeming masses were kind enough to pass it right along behind him, and he recovered it as soon as they set his feet on the ground. Show number two was with the whole family at a music festival in Wisconsin. Good times. We watched from the back of outdoor arena while a couple of the kids slept and the rest of them played in the dirt. Number three was in Souix Falls last summer. It was just me and Aunt Ann. She got sucked into a moshfest and I was pretty sure that she was going to die. We lost our flipflops in the mud (it had rained all day) and were covered in mud up to our knees. THAT was a fun one. This time, I will remember standing in the back with my three month old and my ten year old while my brother Luke (who is a sophomore this year) watched from the heart of the crowd.



Oooh, and we got merch. More specifically, t-shirts, but I just wanted to type the word merch.

I hope you have enjoyed the Blindside theme this week. Sorry if the lyrics were boring. Honestly, I have a hard time reading lyrics when they are just typed out and without music. If I was more technically savvy, I would post a sound clip, but I'm not sure how that works with copyright stuff and all that. Plus I'm just too doggone lazy, so too bad.

2 comments:

iridium said...

Hey didn't they also play:

"This time I'm not gonna follow you down."

Don't know if that's the name of it or not, but they played it. It was nice.


wradaeyk

Anonymous said...

How fun! I am so glad you got to go and made it a family outting. And I *liked* reading the lyrics.