Friday, October 28, 2005

I'm back.....mostly

Sorry, my blogging activity has been a little bit...what's the word..pathetic the last week or so. It's not that I don't have anything to say, it's just that I'm too tired to say it. Well, and I guess I don't really have anything to say.

I have a condition that experts like to call, "sleep deprived". My little Precious still thinks she's a one month old and wakes up every three hours or so during the night. I just took her in for her four month well baby check on Monday. (Fourteen pounds, ten ounces, YAY Gemma!) I was sitting in the little exam room with her, skimming over the "info" they give you every appointment. That would be the same info that I usually just throw away on my way out the door. I've already read it all five times, good gracious, I have it memorized. So as I'm sitting there reading over this stuff, trying to kill time while we wait for the doctor, I come across an interesting concept that I must have missed the first five times. "At four months, your baby may be sleeping four to six hours during the day." I held it up, "GEMMA! Did you read that?!" Four to six hours, get your act together girl!

Gemma is basically a diva baby. A "HELLO people! I'm over here and I'm cute and I want your full attention." kind of a baby. She seriously cries and gets ticked when I break eye contact. She screams when I set her down, but immediately stops when I pick her back up. How did it come to this? I know my little ones have all been a little high maintenance, but this is getting ridiculous. I love how people always ask, and I'm sure I have been guilty of it too: "Is she a good baby?" What do you say? "No, she's pure evil." or "Actually, she cries a lot, so we are thinking of sending her back, do you know if the stork takes UPS deliveries?" She's a precious little thing, so happy and smiley when she first wakes up, she just wants full attention throughout the day. And who can blame her, I want undivided attention too, and I tend to feed myself on demand, as in, "I demand some form of refined sugar RIGHT NOW!" Sometimes I can accommodate her eye contact preferences, but mostly not. Sometimes she's happy being entertained by siblings, but a lot of the time, not. So I end up plopping her on my left hip, and I guess I will have to accept the fact that I can work on perfect posture someday when the kids are in college. And maybe if I tape the little "well baby" article in her crib, she will read it and understand that she needs to step up the napping a bit.

This was all a reflection on her day time sleeping habits, I don't want to talk about nights. Its just a little depressing. I have always loved my sleep, it is a precious, precious commodity to me. And I honestly don't mind getting up with the babies, they have all been really good about just eating, and then going back to bed. Especially Gemma, she really does just eat, and then go back to sleep, in her own crib even. But every three hours for four months is catching up with me. And I admit, I'm getting up at 5:30 to run. I know, that would be the first logical thing to scratch, but it really helps me feel better, just not about sleeping. If my schedule were more accommodating, I would run in the evenings, but it just seems to work best to get it done first thing. So three night feedings and up at the crack of dawn are sucking my life away, but I know it's temporary, she will not wake up to nurse when she is in first grade. Gosh, at least I HOPE not!

Monday is trick or treating. We have already been to two parties and the candy total so far is at 6.4 pounds. I am like a crazy woman who can not control herself, forsaking all other forms of food, except candy, candy, candy. Nate and I both admit to waiting until the kids go to bed, and then digging through the bowl (very big bowl) for all the good stuff. The chocolate stuff. We pass right by all the Smarties and suckers and fruity Tootsie Rolls. It's all about the Twix and the Snickers and the Butterfingers and the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. Sweet chocolate heaven. Maybe Monday I'll have some pics of our little trick or treaters. Or maybe not, I don't have a digital camera.

Happy Friday Internet! And it's "What Not to Wear" day, tonight at 9.....8 central, on TLC. Hooray! Oh how I love that show.

3 comments:

iridium said...

Good ole Gemster.

I wonder how fun it's going to be when all three of our divas act like grown up divas. hahahahaha

"Oh no you dih'ent!"

Tina said...

I can't wait until they are teenagers. I REALLY want to be around for that. :)

Anonymous said...

I miss you guys soooo much!!!! <3