Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Distracted part two

Back in January I wrote a little bit about how distracted I can be. It's really quite ridiculous. Let me give you an example from yesterday:

I finished up switching Noelle and Camryn's winter and summer clothes. (round of applause for me please) I didn't feel like I was up to tackling the boys' stuff quite yet so I started puttering around the house, doing other little jobs. The trash can was overflowing, so I pulled the bag out and took it outside. When I was about to put the new bag in, I noticed how dirty the inside of our garbage can is. You know how sometimes the bag comes off of the edge but "someone" was lazy and just threw whatever it was they were throwing away in anyway. Well that thing they were throwing away must have been spaghetti sauce and it was crusted all down the inside of the can. I dragged the can and the recycling bin out side to be hosed down. Isn't that ambitious? Wait. It gets better.

Now you have to know that our garbage can and recycling bin sit in the bottom of the "pantry" which is just a small coat closet in the kitchen. When we moved in, we hung a pretty little curtain over the door way, not that it keeps Jack out of the chocolate chips or anything. With the garbage can and bin out of the closet, I was faced with the brutal reality of how nasty this closet had become. The wall was scuffed and dinged and dripped on all around the garbage can and the floor was kind of sticky. I grabbed a bucket and sponge and started scrubbing. The floor looked better right away but the walls were not giving up their grime. That's because this closet had only ever been primed, never painted. I thought, "I'll just paint this area around the garbage can, that should spruce this pantry right up". So I did. I grabbed some white paint and slapped it right on that wall.

It was at this point that I took the final plunge. I realized that chances are, I would never get back to painting the REST of the pantry so I better just do it now. I changed into my painting clothes, pulled all the food off of the shelves, took the shelves down and went crazy. There were cobwebs in the top of that closet that were a hundred years old. Well, maybe not, the house was built in 1979, but whatever. My hard work was rewarded when I found a long Nestle's Crunch bar from Halloween on the very top shelf. Bonus! And yes I ate it.

The closet looks great, not that anyone is ever going to notice. It's a closet for goodness sake. I put the kitchen back together and all of the food is back on the shelves and I discovered that we have five boxes of instant rice, so that's good. Today I tackle the boys' clothes, and who knows what else. Maybe I'll end up staining the deck. I sure hope not.

22 comments:

Angela said...

You know, I can be exactly the same way. It's a chore to actually remember what you were supposed to be doing in the first place when your three tasks removed from it. I've noticed it while unpacking; it's so easy to get distracted. I went upstairs 3 times last night before I remembered I needed the scissors.

Congrats on a newly painted pantry! I cleaned ours of cobwebs before I filled it on Monday. A coat of paint would probably be good but I'm not as ambitious as you are.

Anonymous said...

What if it was a Nestle Crunch bar from 1979?

owlhaven said...

You energetic girl!!

Mary, mom to many

Kristen said...

LOL! Start out taking out the trash and end up painting the entire pantry. What's amazing to me is that you just happened to have paint sitting around to do it. ;-) How ambitious you are.

Waywordgrrl said...

*clap, clap, clap*
That sounds like a bunny trail that I follow quite often myself! lol.
You are so entertaining. hehe

Dollymama said...

Hey Heth,

I have a question for you. Would you email me at supermomshealth (at) hotmail.com ?

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Very ambitiuos day! I have the same issue with where my garbage can is. Where it is has only been primed so I need to plan a weekend and take on that task.

Chilihead2 said...

If you give a mom a dirty trashcan, chances are she'll want to clean it. So she'll take the can to the pantry to clean it and discover the floor is sticky. She's going to want to mop that up and then she'll discover the walls aren't coming clean. When she looks closer she will notice the wall is only primed. So she'll get the paint...

Anonymous said...

Sounds WAAAAY too productive for me. Excuse me while I go watch Oprah and eat some bon bons....

melanie said...

i tend to lean twords amber, i have finished the kid's easter chocolate and taken a nap the last two days.... mabie one day i'll start nesting. is that what it is heth??? have you got an itch....

Natalie Joy said...

I don't think Heth is itchin' quite yet. Gemma isn't quite 1 yet. Well, I guess we're getting close enough.! Maybeee????

Nah, not yet. Heth's just that ambitiuos. I have a closet in the bathroom that needs a little sprucing up(complete overhaul). You wouldn't want to come over and help me wipe it down(prime, paint and hang shelving)?

Nettie said...

Wow! Will you come take out my garbage? Have I ever painted the inside of my pantry? Never. The results would probably be so satisfying, however. Even if no one else could see it. (Like getting new underwear, I suppose.)

Anonymous said...

Way to go! I've been thinking about cleaning my pantry, haven't gotten past that point yet.

Unknown said...

That is a bonus finding chocolate! You didn't mention finding any mouse droppings either, so that is good too.

hannahjoy said...

I wish cleaning my dorm room could be as productive as you and the garbage - I get started on sorting my books and desk, then get sidetracked - not by other jobs, mind you, but by the internet awaiting me at my laptop.

GiBee said...

You're not sick to your tummy from that Crunch bar are you?

Cause I just tagged you for TWO memes! Yes, TWO... oh, the joy of it all!!!

6 Random things about yourself and 6 Weird Things about yourself... (like eating chocolate with an unknown shelf life).

C'mon over to my blog and get the directions!!!

Can't wait to see your lists!

Truth said...

Oh my, I love it! You sound so much like me. And I love what Chilihead2 said, so true.

Tanya Nichols said...

*blink* *blink* tears forming....Ive met my soul sister...hehehe

Anonymous said...

I am your uncle enjoys that you are supporting Nestle! :-) Even if it a little old.

Also, if I lay chocolates (or whatever your favorite candy bar is) next to my house, would you do my landscaping?

Anonymous said...

wow! i've never once been tempted to be that productive. ('hmmm... i think i'll just paint this...?' nope. never.) way to go!

Stephanie said...

This is funny, I am the same way!! I'll start one thing and then end up doing something toatlly different and the first thing I started never gets finished on the same day.

momofalltrades said...

ROFL! I'm so, so, so glad to know I'm not the only one who starts on a small journey, only to have it end in a big adventure!