Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A night to remember....

The one thing I DIDN"T want this blog to become was one big gripe session. But last night was too miserable NOT to gripe about.

Saturday night, Noelle came down with a bit of the stomach flu. It seems that the incubation period on that bug is about two days. Last night, after a midnight Gemma feeding, I heard Caedmon start to whimper. I knew exactly what was about to happen, because I was feeling the same churning stomach that he was. I had already slept on the couch for the past few hours because I could feel it coming. I bolted up the stairs, swept him up in my arms, and ran to the bathroom. It seems I was a few seconds too late, we had a little mess on his bed. Once we made it to the toilet, I could feel my own stomach reaching it's breaking point. So being the kind of mother that wants to empathize with her child's pain, I threw up right along with him. Poor little buddy, I hope it didn't traumatize him. What a sight we were, mother and son, kneeling in front of the toilet together. I cleaned him up, put him on a towel on the couch with an ice cream bucket, and slept on the other end of the couch myself. We had to make a few more running trips to the bathroom. Better to just flush it than to use the bucket.

At some poin, Noelle and Camryn were wakened by all the hullabaloo, and Camryn told me that her stomach wasn't feeling that great. *hind sight is 20/20* I told her to go get back in bed, and if she felt yucky, to RUN to the toilet. I didn't realize that she climbed back in bed with Noelle, and a disaster was about to occur. An important fact to note is that Noelle sleeps in the top bunk. Next thing I know, I am waking up to a noise like I have never heard before. I immediately knew what it was. Camryn was leaning over the edge of Noelle's bed, thinking she was hitting the toilet. I scooped her up, and made another mad dash for the bathroom. This was getting ridiculous. I set her up on the other couch in the living room, with an ice cream bucket of her own. Gemma of course, didn't understand what was going on, and continued to want to bed fed a little more often than normal. These events went on for most of the night, everyone taking turns. By the time everyone was feeling well enough to sleep, I heard Jack come down the stairs requesting his morning "ceeyo".

It's hard to be and mom AND be sick. This would have been the perfect day for a nanny, and a bottle fed baby.

All are doing better. Camryn and Caedmon are hungry, which is a good sign. My stomach is a little queasy, but mostly I am achey and exhausted.

Check back in two more days........ *WAHHHHHH*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

And where was your loving husband through all this?? You are just too nice to wake him up and make him help you...or was he out of town? He better have been, cuz if he was actually home sleeping through all this he's going to hear it from me. And that's all Ant Ann has to say.
/steps off of soapbox
/hands Heth a Gold Medal

Heth said...

I have to defend him, he honestly didn't hear any of it going on... It was only when I crawled over to the baby monitor and whimpered very loudly "PLEASE COME HELP ME!" that he got up and came and helped with Gemma. And I must say, although he is working from home today and has been very busy, whenever he isn't on the phone, he is tending to my needs. If only he could breast feed! HAHAHAHA! Oh, and he cleaned both kids' bedrooms with the Bissell this time. Once again, that Bissell saves the day!

Tina said...

oh you poor thing. Here's the bright side... there are still a couple healthy ones that went to school!
truly a mommy story. those are the best kind!