Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Photo Shoots and Mommy Meltdowns

Yesterday I took Caedmon to JC Penny's for his 4 year old pictures. I planned ahead and fed Gemma so she would be happy. We arrived and I popped Jack in the stroller, Gemma in her wrap, and we all headed in. I apologized to the photographer for being a bit late, but she said it was fine, she was running a few minutes behind too. Now, this is the moment where I mistakingly felt in control. I had it all together. Then everything fell apart.

Gemma started screaming. Not crying. SCREAMING. She has a very, very shrill scream, that is just piercing. Just about that same time, Caedmon unbuckled Jack and let him out of the stroller. I was fumbling around like a crazy woman, trying to get Gemma settled and Jack back in the stroller. I took Gemma out of the wrap. All this time, the photographer was helping other customers who were coming in to pick up thier photos. It seems that pick up time is from noon to one. Our appointment was at 12:20.

When the photographer came into the little room, I explained to her that Gemma was having a rough time, and that we would just have to go ahead anyway. She started shooting Caedmon, who was being very somber. He wasn't in a bad mood or anything, he was just taking this male modeling thing very seriously. She really had to work to get him to crack a smile, but he eventually did. So Gemma is still screaming, Jack is getting into the photographer's props and I am feeling a little stressed out. I will admit though, I put on my game face and remained very very calm and collected.

I bounced her, and rocked her, and swayed with her. I checked her diaper, and talked sweetly in her ear. She just kept screaming and screaming and screaming. I decided to nurse her, that would definately calm her. The minute I sat down with her, Jack realized that he was a free man. No more Mom breathing down his neck. So he set out on a mission to find gum, and completely dumped out my purse. He found my lotion and the hand sanitizer. I "detatched" Gemma and got up to get him and she IMMEDIATLY started screaming again. I could tell that the photographer was getting flustered so we decided to wrap up the appointment. I put Gemma down on her blanket and wrestled Jack back into the stroller. Two year olds are stornger than they look. Now he and Gemma were BOTH screaming. We ordered our pictures (kind of. I don't think she could hear a word I was saying) and paid, and got the heck out of there.

It was one of those days when you hold yourself together, and then get in the car and cry. I have had a few of those over the years so far, and this one ranked right up there with the best of them.

I feel like I need to look at the positives. It could have been a lot worse:

  • Gemma could have pooped or puked.
  • Jack could have found the zippered pocket in my purse that holds all my lip gloss.
  • Caedmon could have been crabby too. (he was an angel)
  • I could have cried BEFORE I got to the car.
  • I could have run into someone I know.

I guess it wasn't all that bad......

2 comments:

Tina said...

oh heck yeah, piece a cake. you're an old pro. you are truly such an awesome mom, i admire you for all you do!

iridium said...

Honey? You....are....my....butterstick.

LOL! No one will know what that means (don't worry it's not inappropriate)

But really, you are teh awesome.