Saturday, January 05, 2008

Heth Goes Digital

Shhhh.

Do you hear that?

It's me, smiling as loudly as I can. I have officially entered the digital age. I have hoped and dreamed for a certain camera. I swore that I would only abandon my Pentax K-1000 film camera for one and only one digital. The clouds part and a ray of light shines down upon my new Canon Digital Rebel SLR. Merry Christmas/Happy Anniversary/Happy Birthday to me. And maybe even Hanukkah and Kwanzaa too.

I have been having so much fun playing with this new toy. It is going to take me awhile to get into the swing of things. The manual itself is 171 pages long. It's practically a novel.

Sadly, I picked up my last batch of film photos from the store a couple of days ago. I think even as excited as I am, a little part of me is going to miss shooting film. There is nothing quite like the anticipation of seeing how they turned out. I sit in my car the parking lot and look through the whole batch before I drive away. It's habit.

But OH MY GOODNESS! I finally have it, and it's so much fun. Welcome to 2008 Heth! Technology is grand.

17 comments:

Homegrown Tribe said...

Yeah! Can't wait to see some pictures. :)

have a great weekend!

His Girl said...

We just borrowed one of these for my Cousin Judi to take our family pictures! It was so awesome I almost considered 'losing it' at my house!

Cousin Judi said "Oh my goodness, I want to eat this camera!"

I think that means she thought it was cool, too! Congratulations!

Emily said...

awesome!! i'm so happy for you. my husband has a D-SLR -- it's like a club or something. and the good news (about shooting film) is that you can still do it if you want to. i'm excited to see some of your shots, too!

Sara said...

Yay! All I can say is "it's about time lady!". You're such a great photographer...I can't wait to see all the moments captured now that they are essentially FREE :) You won't miss paying for film processing, believe me. But, like Emily said, you can always shoot film for fun. And then they will sit in the bottom of your purse because you don't want to pay to process them. Ha. I'm so happy for you!

melanie said...

haha- josh and i were looking at the pics of the girls, wondering what??? did you take them on your phone?
It does an awesome job- I want to blow the close up up!

Anonymous said...

Yay! It is like a club.

Welcome. I have the same camera and I LOVE it. Any good picture I happen to take is because it rocks so very, very much.

I've had it for about 10 months and am just now getting comfy with all the different fancy settings. It was intimidating at first.

I can't wait to see the first batch.

Unknown said...

welcome to the digital age!! i don't have a camera that fancy, but they are loads of fun once you get going.

Jenni said...

OH wow, how awesome!! I'm so happy for you! And jealous. Yes, and woman enough to admit it.

And don't worry...the pang of missing film can be remedied by taking a whole roll of really awful shots and then having to pay for their development. That'll cure you, right there (assuming you CAN take a bad shot).

Get busy reading that manual! I want evidence of useage!

Truth said...

Woohoo! What, and no pictures??? I know what you mean about picking up that pack og photos. The anticipation was half of the fun.

trash said...

I could never wait long enough to get outside to look, I always did it standingthere at the counter!!!!

Jackie said...

I'm interested in photography, pictures are a wonderful thing. Right now I have a toddler and a five month old...needless to say, not a lot of picture taking going on here.

Laura Lu said...

totally want one!!!!

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

yipee! Congrats! Have fun!

Haleigh Steere said...

yay! Nate told me about your new toy...You will have soo much fun!

Tina said...

yay! Congrats!
I hope this is the year for me too!!!

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

I am so excited for you!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to see some photos.

Queen to my 3 Boys said...

I am looking at this camera as well. How are you liking it? Do you have theXT or the XTi? Does it come with a good lens or do you NEED to upgrade?