Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Oatmeal and Black-eyed Peas

So we're trying to be a bit healthier this week after last week's Halloween candy binge. So far (two whole days now), I haven't made one single dessert. Those of you who know me can understand, that is HUGE. I made some muffins and even threw in some *gasp* whole wheat flour. I have been keeping them in the freezer so that I don't eat ten during the day. Oh how I love carbs. I also wanted to share this recipe with you all.

Baked Oatmeal
2 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp table salt
1 cup fat-free skim milk
2 egg
1/2 cup Crushed Pineapple
1/2 cup Splenda
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 banana cut in to chunks or slices

mix all ingredients

--bake at 350 for 35-45 min in 8 x 8 pan that has been sprayed w/PAM
Serving size is 6 bars -- about 160 cals a bar, little fat.. WW girls.. 3pts per bar


Ok, so that sounds mostly healthy right? Well, I don't use the Splenda. Holy cow, have you seen how much that stuff costs per pound??!! I'll stick with regular sugar thank you very much. Which, I guess would totally screw up the calories and Weight Watchers points. Oh well. I have used brown sugar before too, that's yummie. You can throw in some pumpkin spice for a fall flavor, or some peaches instead of the pineapple or whatever. Go crazy. It is very yummie. I double it and make a 9x13 and I recently tried it warm with milk poured over it. Wow. But that's my carb loving self talking. Another thing I do is cut it up into bars and wrap them individually and put them in the fridge for a quick breakfast on the go. For Nate. Because who am I kidding, I don't go anywhere quickly in the morning, now that the kids are riding the bus.

Which brings me to another thought. I'm just thinking out loud here, so help me out and ignore the randomness. My kids have recently told me about the music that is being played on the bus. A little song by the Black-Eyed Peas is particularly offensive to me. It's one of those catchy tunes that gets in your head and stays there all day. I went out and did a little research on it, (thank you internet) and I really, really don't like it. Now should I run around and plug my kids' ears? I don't know. I want them to learn how to deal with some of these things, I don't want to completely keep them in little personal bubbles, but HELLO??! If I don't protect them, who will? And this doesn't just apply to riding the bus, it applies to everything. AAAK! Being a parent is hard. We had a talk with them about the radio and some of the songs they would probably be hearing, but I just can't help but think I am throwing them to the wolves. Now, I heard nasty songs on the bus when I was a kid, and I turned out ok....I think....., but even the most offensive stuff back then was a lot more subtle. I didn't understand most of it.

Now I'm just rambling, but it feels better to get some of these thoughts out. I'm looking forward to hearing all of your wisdom. How much do you shelter your kids?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I could say to not make a huge deal out of it...but at the same time the kids need to know it's inappropriate. Right now, when my boys hear bad words or something like that at wal-mart or wherever, i completely ignore it. they are still at a pt where they don't know they are bad words.
the other day we were walking around the mall waiting for the movie to start, so we went in a sam goody kind of place. we were looking at calendars trying to find a starwars one. Lo and behold, there were a stack of playboy ones just sitting there...my husband immediately commented on it..i said we needed to leave. the boys caught on right away and were asking "what? what is it? i wanna see..." i think if eric and i had said nothing they would have been clueless...who knows...okay now i'm rambling.

Anonymous said...

i think maybe if they start singing the lyrics or repeating them then i would say something...i dunno :/ could you talk to the school administrators about what radio stations are being played on the bus? my goodness, the bus is usually so loud anyway, why would they need the radio in the first place lol.

Tina said...

I have to totally agree with Vashti. Oatmeal and black-eyed peas would be really nasty. Although I am still unsure about the mayonnaise and pork and bean and cheese thing.... You are a great parent, as evidenced by your children's openness with you. Having three teenagers, I have to say the one thing I appreciate is our openness to talk about life's challenges. I'm proud of them for repeating it to you and I'm proud of you for noticing and picking up on the little things going on in their lives. The way you talk to them about things now will set the stage for many a late-night cry-fest with them when they are teenagers. It's all good.

Amie said...

I third the Oatmeal and Black-eyed pea thing - ick. Heth, I run into this ALL the time with Harry's two. When they come here after being at their mother's, their mouths are spewing out lyrics to the hard rock stations (and inapropriate TV shows) - drives me nuts! But here's where you have the up. It sounds like your kids think there's something wrong with the lyrics without someone telling them that. Unless it's a swear word, Olivia and (mostly) Darin will go around singing these words which 1)they don't understand and 2)they DON'T understand that they might be offensive, because they hear it all the time in their home. So good for you that they understand it's wrong, whether they comprehend all of it or not!!! And have to agree definately it's great that they come to you and ask. We've tried to explain to Liv and Darin why it's wrong to sing words like that, and it's frustrating that it's obviously a part of their everyday life. They seem to understand, but when Mommy does one thing and Daddy does something different....they don't want to take sides. It's awesome that you and Mr. Heth can control what they take in at morning and evening time every day. I honestly was a little jealous. :) Sounds like you're on the right road! It might even call for a happy dance?

Anonymous said...

Um, can I fourth the glad it wasn't for Oatmeal and Black-eyed Peas? I thought it sounded a little too crazy, but in the name of healthy eating I have heard of people eating some pretty bizarre combinations.

Does the song's title rhyme with "My Lumps"? I echo Vashti in taking comfort in the fact your kids will talk to you about the songs. It's a great opportunity to talk to them about what they are hearing. Still, I understand your frustration and irritation that you would even have to play garbage woman to clean up after other people make a mess in your kids' minds!