Tomorrow it's supposed to snow. Do you think we have our winter gear out yet? No, we do not. Our coat hooks by the front door are loaded with various jackets, sweatshirts, dress coats, and a few winter coats. But the snowpants and boots were still down in the storage room, until tonight. We pulled it all out and started trying snowpants on. It was exciting, only because we hadn't seen snowpants for eight months, not because we were on our way out to go sledding or to build a snowfort or something. We sorted through about a thousand hats, mittens, and scarves, and came up with an acceptable winter outerwear ensemble for everyone. Everyone except for Tyler. He needs boots. His boots are too small. In fact, we handed them down to Noelle, who handed hers down to Camryn. So here it is, the night before the first flakes fall, and we need new boots. A late night Wal-mart run proved that their selection is lacking. Oops. Procrastination strikes again.
Another incident today: I went on an archeological dig. Yes, all the way back to October, the site was my oldest son's backpack. We suspected that we weren't seeing important papers from school when parent/teacher conference day approached with no little reminder of the time we had signed up for. A quick call to the office confirmed that yes, notes were sent home. Our conference went well, Tyler is doing great. Today after school, Tyler told me that tomorrow is the video. Not A video, not SOME video, but THE video. The infamous fifth grade video, explaining all the changes that come with puberty. The video that all the kids snicker and giggle about. He mentioned that some of the parents were going to watch it, he thought maybe tonight? *sigh* We pulled out the ten pound backpack and started digging. I found massive amounts of candy wrappers, a Gameboy, wadded up school assignments, a signup sheet for wrestling that started a month ago, and finally, a school news letter. I glanced it over and noticed that yes, they were having a parental preview of the movie tonight at 5:00. A quick look at the clock showed 4:50. Of course. I did make it to the preview, only four minutes late. I am still in shock. Not because of all the explicit drawings I witnessed with the other mothers, but because I still can't believe we have a kid old enough to watch THE video. That always loomed ahead of us in the parental trials to come, out in the far, far future. Well, I was blindsided with it out of the blue, and honestly, I think it's going to be ok. Now if we can just get the kid to remember to bring his spelling list home......
2 comments:
Funny what you can find in a backpack, isn't it! I hadn't even thought about boos 4 me yet- 'til your blog, that is. Great blogging!
Gulp @ THE video. I remember watching it and being slightly horrified, but amused too.
I had to drag out the big coats this morning. Everyone complained. A lot.
Post a Comment