But today I'm going to do it anyway, despite my better judgment.
Last night was the junior high variety show. Singing, dancing, and all sorts of entertainment. Tyler sang in the choir intermittently during this "Totally 80's" themed show. A skit here, a couple songs there, it was practically a Broadway production. The last few weeks, after school practices have come to a head, some lasting until after dinner. I have received many a call hearing "Mom, can you bring me a burger or something." from the other end of the line. I would then don my fast food delivery hat and attend to my son's nutritional needs. This of course meant I had to set foot in the junior high school building. The same building where I attended 7th and 8th grade. The same building where I passed notes between class and where I served my first detention for chewing gum. It even smells the same. Industrial strength cleaners and pubescent body odor. What a combo.
Nate and I whispered and giggled during the whole show, acting like middle schoolers ourselves. "We're Not Gonna Take It!" and "Freeze Frame" brought back all sorts of memories. I sat and watched a stage full of these 12, 13, and 14 year old people. Awkwardness and insecurity oozed from ever corner of the stage. Girls who were beginning to look like little women. A sea of male faces, some looking like little boys while others already had stubble and angular jawbones. Some, you could tell, were endowed with an extra dose of stage presence. Others were mortified that people were actually looking at them. Oh my heart broke for these young teenagers and the emotional and hormonal turmoil that I knew they were going through. At the very same time I was in awe at a glimpse of the adults they would grow to be. Every few moments I got a peek of a stage full of grownups.
What a responsibility.
What an opportunity.
What an amazing young man.
17 comments:
How can he be in junior high already!?! He's adorable, and so blessed to have you and Nate for parents. LOVE that they made coffee by the way :)
Tyler has grown so much. Enjoy the view and the ride. It will be every bit as exciting as the best roller coaster, complete with thrills, shrieks, laughter, fear, and every emotion imaginable.
*sigh*
I so so so identify!
what an incredible honor, no?
ah tyler.. i would have loved to watch!!
That is one thing about homeschooling the kids we miss out on.
And you know it is missing something.
That said I enjoyed sharing your venture into it today. I would have loved to see that show.
I am not ready for that age... thank goodness I have a few years. He is a very handsome boy.
Brittany
He is so handsome. Don't they grow so quickly? Tre and I were discussing that recently.
We were saying how comfortable we are with our little ones and yet it feels so "uncomfortable" to think of them as middle schoolers. Do you just grow used to that? I mean it seems so akward, how to interact with a middle school child. What's your take?! :)
BTW- My post from today might find you giggling, you having all the kids you have I'm sure in a sleepy daze you've tried one of the 28 things listed! LOL
I love this post- what a proud mom you are:)
I wish I could have seen the show, too. Tyler, I hope you know how awesome you are and how proud we are of you!
heth, thank you for you wonderful words. my baby boy is 14 today (he's my oldest but still my baby)and i am seeing all those changes in his heart, body and mind. trapped in OUR own little world we forget that everyone goes through these changes.....not the kids, us as mothers *sniffle* *sniffle*. let's pray our babies grow up learning from from all their experiences and gain wisdom through it. Thanks again for your blog. I love reading it. Jodie
a really, really wonderful post.
Indeed.
But can I just say...
TOTALLY 80'S THEMED SHOW?
How can we be this old?
What a sweet post. I can't believe you have a junior high kiddo either. Those years get a bad rap, but it is such an important time---when you can see the child and the future adult at once.
Most of my posts focus on my littles, too. Primarily, Joel because he's just Joel.
I have two middle-schoolers, as well, but we homeschool. I still see that insecurity (as they are very active in performing arts). I want to tell them, "Someday, you'll remember this and squirm a little, but no one else will think a thing about it. They'll only remember how great you were." But, I know they wouldn't listen. :-)
Thank you for sharing one of your "older" kids. He is absolutely darling.
Oh my word. He's such a cutie...and I cannot believe he is in Jr. High already...WHAT? I can still remember that building... our big bangs ... and a certain girl threatening to beat me up because I wanted to be a cheerleader. Oh...those were crazy days. You have a wonderful, amazing boy there. And he has the best mama too. xxoo
I'm so sad I missed the 80's party!!!
What a great post! My oldest is going to be 3 so I can't say I understand, but I dream of the day she is this old and it breaks my heart. :::sniffle:::
I love how you write in prose. Beautiful!
Post a Comment