Wednesday, March 08, 2006

They're dropping like flies.


The Fever has taken over our family, one by one. And can I admit this? Sometimes I like it when my kids are sick. Of course I don't like it that they feel horrible. But I love the rosy little cheeks and glassy eyes. I love the quiet that falls over the house when Jack is lethargic on the sofa. I love holding them. I love that they sit still and let me hold them. I love laying my cheek on their fiery little foreheads.

Noelle spent two days home from school, sleeping on the couch. It was a special time, having her home with the three littles. A different dynamic. She let Camryn in on the perks of being sick. "You get to watch TV all day, and eat chicken noodle soup, and be with Mom." Awwww. Melts my heart.

Jack was blindsided by The Fever yesterday afternoon. He didn't particularly love the watery eyes that afflicted him. Infact, he would scream "MY EYES!" But a little cuddling would put him right to sleep, and he also spent the afternoon on the couch.

Last night, Nate could feel The Fever coming on. "Why is our house so freezing?" Um, it's 70 degrees in here. After dinner he retreated to the couch to snuggle with Caedmon who's face was flushed and was also beginning to show signs of The Fever.

As soon as the American Idol theme music started playing, I claimed my cushion on the couch and was immediately swarmed by feverish children. One of them being little Gemma, thumb in her mouth and head resting on my chest. You know, a sick family doesn't need to stock up on Tylenol or chicken noodle soup. What they really need are more Mommies. Last night I was wishing I had six more arms and a couple more laps. I wanted to hold each one of them and stroke each little sweaty forehead. But I'm sure, with more than two Feverish children on my lap at once, I would have spontaneously combusted.

Today, Noelle is back to school. Camryn and Tyler are healthy. Jack is up to his antics again, and Caedmon's bout seems to be short lived. But Daddy is knocked out on the couch, and Gemma's little cheeks couldn't be redder. Can I just sit and hold her all day? It's a good thing laundry doesn't have a voice, or it would be screaming at me right now. And I would continue to ignore it. Clean clothes are overrated.

21 comments:

mommy to six J's said...

What a sweet post,as I was reading it I could imagine your family being held my their loving mommy.What a innocent picture I do hope they all continue to get better.I will be praying that you dont get it because mommys don't look so cute with red cheeks and burning eyes.Well at least I know this mommy dosen't.
Have a great day.
Char

Goslyn said...

Awww. I'm sorry your family is sick, but I know exactly what you mean about just wanting them to sit still and want to be held. Tom, at nearly 7 mos, would rather be chewing the dog's bone than cuddling with Mommy. I'm just glad he nurses, so at least I get that much time.

Anonymous said...

"Clean clothes are over rated"- I love it! You are so wise.
If you get The Fever, I will come over and you can sit on mommy's lap. ha, ha! What a great mommy you have become...Baby Nate today- enough to make him feel better, but not enough to make him fake a fever for a week.

Truth said...

Ah, that is so sweet-a true picture of motherhood in all of its glory and grandeur. It's not about clean clothes anyway, it's about those sweet babies, burning up with fever or not.

Anonymous said...

Ah, Heth, you are so right. The clothes will be cleaned eventually, but the sweet days with the kiddos will pass much too quickly.

And yes, I TOTALLY feel a weird little joy when the kids are sick. It's so nice to be able look at my 7-year-old when he's not in motion. And he's only still when he's sick!

Chilihead2 said...

Ditto on the holding sick kiddos. I love the snuggling that goes on when they aren't feeling top notch. It's a little known secret that all moms love it once in a while. ;)

Amie said...

GREAT post! Almost like having newborns again. :)

Natalie Joy said...

I know how you feel. We just got over The Fever, but I didn't mind the quiet, the extra naps, the sweet faces and extra cuddles. Hope everyone is well soon, but not too soon.

Anonymous said...

oh you're so right. i've always felt guilty about liking my kids so much more when they're sick. it just brings out all the mother-i-ness in me.

Anonymous said...

Ooooo, aren't you a cutie in Mommylife's laundry room contest. I am seriously coveting your high-tech washer and dryer.

Anonymous said...

Nate, you big faker. haha j/k

The last time I said "Men are such whimps when they are sick" my poor husband ended up in the hospital with pneumonia and an infection in his blood!!

owlhaven said...

Hope everyone is well soon-- we have it here too

MARY

Tina said...

hey, we have a couple sickies here too...

Anonymous said...

Heather,
Is that a Whirlpool Duet that you have entered in Barabara's Laundry Room Contest? If it is, do you like it and is it worth the money? My washer and dryer has died and am thinking of getting a Whirlpool Duet. But my husband is concerned about the cost.
You can e-mail me privately at cuttergap@aol.com. Thanks, Donna from Lake Norman, NC

Anonymous said...

Hey, Q, I say the same things! (about taking a bath making you feel better and the whole medicine thing) AND I make a bed on the couch for O and E too :) And I get them sick food. Just like when I was little :) I remember also that we would get to watch "apple shows" LOL! apple shows were the old PBS shows, they always had an apple with the minutes/seconds counting down till the next show. I remember drinking lots of 5 Alive. Do they still make that stuff?

hannahjoy said...

very cute post, heth. and don't feel bad about liking it.

Anonymous said...

I ran across your site from Mommy Life and enjoyed reading it. Could I add you to my "mommy links"?
Kristina

Mrs. Simonsays said...

I love that old fashioned picture. I gotta admit, I kinda like the quiet and the cuddling when my little ducklings are sick. However, having both twins sick at the same time is about the worst!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am a totally new reader - came here via Mommy Life and her picture of you in the laundry room.

May I be bold?

We are considering purchasing high efficiency washer/dryer and you are the first person I have seen pictured with them - would you please share your opinions?

Randi said...

Sick kids are like sleeping kids--adorable in every way! I hope you are all on the mend and that you stay well!

Heth said...

Tina-Thanks for stopping by. I love my machines, they are awesome. My laundry gets done so much quicker now. They have so many settings for all different kids of loads, I would totally recommend them. Also, I know that T fromDull as Dishwater has these machines too. She has used them longer than I have so she might have some insight also.