Monday, March 13, 2006

Chinese Philosophy?


Yin and Yang.

Check it out: two primal opposing but complementary forces.
Yin, the darker element, is passive, dark, feminine, downward-seeking, and corresponds to the night; yang, the brighter element, is active, light, masculine, upward-seeking and corresponds to the day.

So I guess I look better in black? I have been thinking a lot about how Nate and I completely compliment each other. Specifically, how when one of us is down, the other is up and vice versa. Say I have a completely emotional, bordering on psychotic, bawl my eyes out for no reason, type day. Not that I ever have.....yesterday. Nate is my Yang. Capable and willing to be everything I am not. When he is tired or has a grumpy day. Not that he ever does.....Saturday. I am his Ying, cheerful, energized, and taking care of business. If I'm overreacting about something with the kids, he usually sees it from a different perspective and balances me out. And I do for him. Like if one of our children takes a pair of scissors to a brand new leather (maybe it's fake) office chair, and plays "stab the chair to death". I may initially freak out and not even want to call Nate, fearing for the child's life. But in true Yin Yang style, he stays even keeled and doesn't bat an eye. Not that any of our kids would ever stab a chair with scissors over 45 times.

I really am in awe of how perfectly God fit us together. He sure knew what He was doing.

11 comments:

Chilihead2 said...

Sounds like you just fell in love again. A wonderful feeling, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

1. i've NEVER gotten the yingyang thing. thanks for explaining. i felt too stupid to ask anyone.

2. the chair started it. totally. it was a self defense.

Tina said...

does one of your precious need some counseling?? :)

Truth said...

There were times when I'd wonder why dh and I were soooo different, but like you mention, it is a good thing and brings such balance. (Glad your dh didn't wig out about the chair.)

GiBee said...

Huh! I'm with Holymama! I never got the yin yang thing either. I guess that explains me and my husband! After all ... they say opposites attract! I'm the gas, he's the brakes!

Goslyn said...

Wow, need to add scissors and chocolate syrup to my list of controlled substances. I will learn from your .. er ... experience.

Love the ying/yang thing. My husband and I are like that.

melanie said...

too cute heth! at least you and nate have mastered the opposite thing.. i think we are still fighting it? your family is so great.

Amie said...

I never understood that either! Thanks! Uhh, 45 times? Sorry, but that may or may not fit in the category of "funny". Someday you'll look back and laugh, right?

Right?

Heth?

T said...

Yeah we're like that too, except sometimes when I am at the end of my rope with the kids I *want* him to be the bad guy and he just says "Aaah what's the matter little guy?" Sometimes I wish "Wait til your father gets home" Could illicit a response other than "yeah, daddy, daddy"

Angela said...

The opposites thing has it's moments, but you are right that the balance between the woman and man was definitely orchestrated by God. I am always trying to remind myself of the POSITIVES of being different...

Anonymous said...

GiBee's gas and brakes analogy fits us most of the time. Now about that chair, are you sure Holymama isn't right about it maybe throwing the first punch?