Saturday, March 25, 2006

My Friend Sara

A few of you asked about the wrap that Mariah is wearing in the photo. I'll tell you about it but first I want to introduce you to my friend Sara. Sara and I met in the eighth grade and we were friends until her family moved away our sophomore year. Ok, that makes it sound like we weren't friends anymore after that. We were. We still are. We have kept in touch all of these years. Well, one of us has done a better job of that than the other. I suck. Sara has this wonderful attribute. She remembers special occasions. She has sent me cards and gifts for birthdays and anniversaries and just for fun over the years. Me? Yeah, not so much. Sorry Sara. Sara has taught me many things but I want to highlight three of my favorites.

Babywearing. This is where the wrap comes in. When Sara and Matt had little Bella, Sara dove headfirst into baby carriers. I love that about her. She has a collection of some of the most beautiful wraps and slings and is an official consultant. She has wraps for summer and winter. Slings for teensy little newborns and for hefty, squirmy toddlers. Fabrics that go with your flip flops and fabrics to wear with your strapless black dress. She gave me a Moby Wrap when Gemma was born and I LOVE it. I had dabbled in ring slings with Jack, (see him sucking his thumb there, awww) but they put such uneven pressure on my one shoulder and although I love having my hands free, my back couldn't hack it. This wrap spreads the weight evenly across my back and I could carry Gemma in it for hours. Infact, I do. When she was tiny, she faced towards me and would sleep with her head tucked in the fabric. Now that she is older, she likes to face the world and see what is going on around her. She has been so many places in this thing. Even a Blindside show. It even protected her ears. Love, love, love it. See? We all use it.




Ok, thing number two that Sara has introduced me to. Tea. In the past, I would buy a box of Constant Comment from the grocery store, thow a teabag in my mug, let it steep, and then LEAVE THE TEA BAG IN THE MUG THE WHOLE TIME I AM DRINKING IT! I scream that because now I have been made aware of how much of a tea novice I was. Leaving my teabag in my cup. BAH! For my birthday this year, Sara sent me this little contraption from Adagio teas.


Isn't that nifty? You can't really tell how awesome it is without using it, but let me just assure you. It is awesome. Pop that baby in the microwaveto heat up the water. Throw your favorite tea in to let it steep. Then here's the coolest part. Set the whole thing on top of your mug and it magically lets your tea drain into your mug, straining out all of the leaves. Trust me, it's rad. And if you don't understand my little description, go watch this little video clip. My favorite kind of tea so far? Foxtrot.

The last thing I have learned from Sara, and I don't think she even knows this, is to wear less makeup and just love my natural face. Last time I saw her, Sara looked fabulous. Her skin? Flawless? Her makeup? Minimal. I think she only had mascara on. I admit, I feel so unbelievably naked without makeup, but since seeing my dear friend, I have re-thought the issue. I'm not going to go all deep on you all about inner beauty and whatnot. But I have ditched my eyeliner pencil, 99.9% of the time. And I usually just do mascara and some lipgloss if I'm just running around town. A night out? Tinted moisturizer, some eyeshadow, and some blush are added to my ritual. Sara's skin was just glowing that day. She looked amazing, so healthy and vibrant. Now, that could be because she eats so healthy that I can't even begin to communicate the extent of her healthiness to you. If I did it would include words like: Vegan. Raw. Organic. Etc. Me? Well, you know me and my refined sugar addiction. Maybe someday her eating habits will rub off on me too, but for now, I'll stick to the wrap, the tea and the mascara. Love ya Sare!

17 comments:

owlhaven said...

I have a carrier just like this that I looooove! Mine is called a Hug A Bub, though...

Mary mom to many, and owner of many baby carriers

Sara said...

Awww Heth...you made my day. You are such a sweetie. I love being your friend and know that our friendship was planned by God for sure. Yay God!
Now we need to talk about your next baby carrier... :) hee hee! I love you and miss you so much.

Anonymous said...

I want one of those wraps.

KarenK said...

Does she make these carriers? Pretty cool looking. Those pictures are so much fun. What pretty babies you have.

Mrs. Simonsays said...

Interesting, I also soak my tea bag right in my mug. I never knew this was uncooth. Thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous said...

I have the Ingenuitea, it's SO awesome! And I realized how good tea can really be!

Anonymous said...

I learn something everytime I read your blog! :)

Love those baby wraps.

Jenn said...

Those are so cute..I could not find a sling one with any of my kids.

Good friends are gold indeed!!

Anonymous said...

I love baby wearing. Love it!

GiBee said...

Oh, my aching back... just thinking about wearing my 18+ pound 6-month old is making me scream!!! Argh!

So ... I see you use tinted moisturizer... Is there a particular brand you would recommend? I HATE foundation... hate the feel of it on my face... but ALWAYS use moisturizer (with SPF)... And, I, unfortunately, have a rudy tone to my skin... uneven red blochiness... so... I was thinking of trying a tinted moisturizer... do you like it? Well, obviously, you use it, so you must like it... that was a silly question, huh? What kind do you use?

Heth said...

Gibee- I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer I really like it, it's nice and light.

Karen- Nope, she doesn't make the carriers, I think she has purchased all of hers. I sewed the ring sling that I am using in the photo with Jack. I am a very poor seamstress but it was pretty simple.

Denise- When I make tea with tea bags, I soak them right in the mug too. The problem was, I wasn't taking them out when they were done steeping, I left them in there for the whole twenty minutes it took me to finish the tea. That makes for some seriously bitter tea. Bleh.

Anonymous said...

Love this post, and I want one of those carriers so bad!

Stephanie said...

that is very cool!

mommy to six J's said...

All of those babies pictures are so cute.Have a great day.
Char

Mrs. Simonsays said...

Oh, gotcha now.
I am trying to figure out which one is you in this post. Or are both of them you at different ages?
Either way, you are beautiful.

Heth said...

Denise-

The first pic is me two years ago with baby Jack. (our now two and a half year old)

The pic in the middle on the left is Tyler (our oldest) with Gemma. This was when his hair was long, he recently had it cut.

The one in the middle on the right is me with baby Gemma when she was just a few months old. GAH! My forehead is huge!

Bottom pic is me with glasses. JUST KIDDING. It's my husband Nate. This was the first time he ever wore the wrap and of course, I got out the camera. See how thrilled he is?

Mrs. Simonsays said...

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought your hubby looked pleased. I ALWAYS hate my forehead in photos too.