This quote really struck me today. I'm going to be thinking about it for quite awhile.
"We try to get joy through entertainment. We pay someone to make jokes, tell stories, perform dramatic action, sing songs. We buy the vitality of another's imagination to divert and enliven our own poor lives. The enormous entertainment industry in America is a sign of the depletion of joy in our culture. Society is a bored, glutenous king employing a court jester to divert it after an overindulgent meal. (emphasis mine) But that kind of joy never penetrates our lives, never changes our basic constitution. The effects are extremely temporary, a few minutes, a few hours, a few days at most. When we run out of money, the joy trickles away.
Eugene H. Peterson, A Long Obedience in the Same Direction
13 comments:
wow. i'd like to read that one.
I am reading that book as well and was particularly stuck by the truth of that exact quote just last night! I have never heard that, but I know it is true for me. Sad but illuminating. I am always looking for "something", never satisfied.
Great thought! I SO agree! This is one of the primary reasons that we have no subscription television and seriously curb even DVD-time in our house. Entertainment is pseudo-life. Real life is lived with those around you, who matter most...your family and loved ones. If we can't take time to make merry and enjoy one another, what are we teaching our children? That real life is what's found on the tube? *shudder* I would rather my kids be sheltered for that "life" and instead be enriched by a life that matters, surrounded by people who matter most!
good stuff, but painful...and true...WOW
Good stuff Heather!
That there is some deep stuff.
When I think about it...many times I watch a movie or tv show to just "live" in someone elses fake life for a little bit...what a serious waste.
I better go read it again...
I like that!
Kitten
hi, I am a friend of Abbi's. You are absolutely right! I am guilty when it comes to too many movies. Sometimes when the kids are tugging and your trying to get things done it's easier not better. My husbabd just finished oainting the playroom and now we are going to put upp trim and molding. I am excited for the girls to have a nice and stimulating plae to retreat to. So they can use their imaginations. I also read your post on your Marathon, Congratulations!! What an amazing time for you! As I was reading you were making me cry, seeing your family there waiting for. How wonderful!! Great Job!
How often we seek joy instead of letting it flow from us. Ok, I should speak for me and not "us". I could write a lot more, but I'll save my deep thinking thoughts for a cup of coffee with you. Starbucks here we come!
(Sorry Caribou, I'm not being disloyal; you just won't build in my corner of the world!!)
I have that book on my "to read" list, and have bumped it up a notch since you shared that quote. What a powerful thought about our addiction to entertainment. Thanks for sharing it.
Now that is one that hits me between the eyes. Thanks for sharing that. I think he's the guy who "wrote" The Message, right?
That's a very interesting quote...really makes you think, and there is truth behind it.
Oh my. I am going to have to keep that quote handy. It hits home as I get ready to watch all my DVRed reality shows...
Post a Comment