Can you bear another post about running?
So I'm three days past the big race and I feel a little bit of sadness. I have been consumed by training for four months. The nightly question was "what's on tomorrow's running schedule?". Now there is nothing on any running schedule. I can do whatever I want. What I want is for there to be a schedule telling me what to do.
I really liked having goals. I really liked having that big thing out there that I was working towards. Surprisingly, I really liked the discipline as painful as it was sometimes. So I've been thinking a lot about "now what". I'm not sure yet. I'm working it out with myself.
My legs are mostly better. I went out this morning and got them moving for 3 miles. It felt good. Stairs are becoming easier, I don't have to lean against the wall while I go down them sideways anymore. It took my shoes three days to dry out.
Thank you all for your sweet words of encouragement and for sharing in this moment with me. I can't tell you how much it means to hear congratulations from all over the internet. Next time I fully expect you all to be standing along the curb, ringing a huge cowbell or running along side me. Now THAT would be fun. The Internet runs a marathon.
10 comments:
I imagine there would be a let-down of sorts a few days later...like when Christmas is over and January and February look absolutely blah looming ahead.
Now what? A triathalon? New baby? Learn to quilt? Go back to school? Take a roadtrip to CO? Learn to play the cello?
Really, your possibilities are endless. I am still in awe of your accomplishment. You did it.
Maybe that's my problem...I need a running goal...
I'm with Gretchen...still in awe of you and your accomplishment!
HA HA COWBELL MY BUTT i am going to bring my whiskey jug we already talked about that---it will be like Hee Haw!!! and if you need a new goal, my house is actually looking to give out a free goal. keep me clean and organized is my house's goal and it can be yours for the low low price of.....free!! yes you heard me FREE!! ( yeah i am generous and kind like that... ;-)
The internet runs a marathon.
Now that's an interesting concept. :)
Well, I just have to say it was an amazing, wonderful event and i can't wait to do it again. Spectating is hard work- getting around Mpls/St.Paul and trying to beat you to the next spot and all.
I'm still in awe of you.
I just have one question that's unanswered- what every happened with the eyebrows?? Did anyone notice if they were plucked or not? Were they? These are things we need to know.
Hmmm...just got an error message posting my comment. Hope you don't get two.
I can't believe you're back to running so soon! I'd give myself at least a year off, but I'm not as dedicated as you. I admire your drive.
Best of luck to your legs.
I keep thinking back on your race too, Heth. It was incredible. Your description was so detailed that I felt like I was there too. I had tears too, and it was just like you said when you compared the marathon to child birth. All those precious emotions, even the tough ones, I just want to hang on and remember those feelings. I loved the picture of you hi-fiving everyone, your mom and sister were in the picture, that brought me to tears. I could feel the energy of them cheering you on and you being lifted up. And you better believe that next year I WILL be there. And I can't wait. When will training start? Maybe I could sort of train with you and do a fifth of what you do each day heehee :)
Anyway, my comments are getting too long now. You are the most incredible amazing wonderful person I've ever met, Heth!!!
ok so i really don't get the cow bell thing. it's really strange to me. i think i would have chucked it at them or something. i can understand the let down though, and the process of taking it all in. but i really wanted to ask you a question wed nite- it had something to do with #8..? yah, i'll shut up now.
I just started running again three weeks ago and hope to totally get back to where I used to be. Lite and fast. :)
I have never done a whole marathon and great job by the way but I have done a half and had similar feelings after the race. I remember feeling sad on the ride home and I didn't know why. I ran it in 1:45 which I though was pretty good.
Heather, thank you so much for these posts about your marathon! I am training for my first in January - running 8 miles tomorrow, which is the farthest I have ever run. I LOVED your marathon post about it - gives me so much to look forward to!
Post a Comment