Wednesday, April 02, 2008

A Deadly Mistake Averted

I stood in Target, mesmerized by the cuteness of shower curtains. They were on sale! There was a certain one that was calling out to me. It was bright, and fun, and...made out of fabric.

I reached for them, holding one in my arms, longing to put it in my cart. I had been wanting to spice up my bathroom a little bit. And then I remembered.

I have four boys.

Let's all stop for a minute and ponder the gravity of that statement in relationship to all things bathroom.

I suddenly realized the foolish path I was about to embark on. You see, our shower is in very, very close proximity to the toilet. I have found myself using antibacterial wipes to wipe down the plastic shower curtain daily. My sons need a lesson, a lesson in aiming.

And so I put the pretty cloth shower curtain back safely on the shelf.

Can you imagine? *gag*

20 comments:

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

oh yeah! I hear ya! Without going into the gross details...I hear ya!
When they are all grown up....BOTH bathrooms will get gutted and remodeled!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I am so mean, I make mine all sit (except for public restrooms!) I figure if I'm the only girl and there's only 1 bathroom, they'll survive sitting :)

Anonymous said...

Eek.

Wondering if you bother having the little rug in front of the toilet? I do, and I question the wisdom of that decorating choice daily. Luckily, our tub is enclosed with the sliding glass doors---and it is a sufficient distance from the kids' toilet.

Ann said...

Hahahaha! You'd be washing that shower curtain every.single.day.

I love those boys.

Zaankali said...

When do they outgrow that problem? My hubby, thank goodness, doesn't have that problem but my 17 year old still does and when I find it first he is called back into clean it up. Yuck!
Smiles!

KarenK said...

Oh girl. I don't have to imagine. I KNOW. It took me awhile to trace the lingering stench to the fabric shower curtain after cleaning the bathroom over, and over, and over again. And then cleaning it again.

Ma said...

I think my boys (6, 3) pee on the ceiling! I can scrub the bathroom and it still stinks in there!!! It's a conspiracy!

Staci Eastin said...

I have two boys. I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to realize I cannot keep magazines by the toilet.

Truth said...

Febreeze? Just kidding, sort of. I'm afraid I would have gone for it foolishly thinking I'd just throw it in the laundry once a week. (And I know that wouldn't happen, at least not at my house.) But I'd fool myself long enough to buy it anyway.

Judy said...

I hear ya! BOY do I hear ya! And to think I thought of carpeting our bathroom. OOOOO. That's a gagger too!

Tina said...

Yeah, I broke down and got a fabric one for the master bath and my husband has been complaining ever since. They are so. cute. but, they really suck.

Joy said...

Ugh... yeah, glad you put it back! Maybe when they've gotten bigger and better aims, or go off to college/get married you can spruce up the bathroom!

Kiki said...

If you figure out how to teach that lesson, pass it on!

Laura Lu said...

Well thanks...now after reading all of these comments I can't wait to potty train my little guy!

Carletta said...

Let us know if you find a way to teach them to aim. I walked by the bathroom one day when my son was using it and said, "Maybe it would help if you actually looked at the toilet while peeing!"

Anonymous said...

Here's a dangerous suggestion that won't work with your imaginative boys. For awhile I tried with your three brothers to have a target in the toilet. Like a piece of toilet paper- and we make a game of hitting it. But I venture to say that the wild and funny imaginations that reside in your house may come up with some toilet plugging, found objects ideas for targets, so I don't think you should even go there!


ps. We won't post my success rate so as to not embarrass anyone you know.
ps again. You could buy the pretty shower curtain anyway and just hang it on another wall like some people do with a quilt....

Julie Q. said...

HA! This is exactly why, unless guests are imminent or someone is currently IN the shower, the curtain is always flipped up over the bar in our boys' bathroom. The boys are getting better at the aiming thing, but still...

Bekki said...

HA! I have four boys as well..and I so hear ya. I too have cleaned and cleaned and wondered where in the world that smell could still be coming from! I often have to unscrew the lid to clean the screws. GROSS!!
Glad you thought this through, cause I probably wouldn't have!
BTW, I'm a lnog time reader, first time poster. I love your blog.

Anonymous said...

I really hate to tell you this, but I have four boys, ranging from 9-17, and the aim really never improves. You may not own a fabric shower curtain for about 20 years.

And now you probably understand why my daughter refuses to use the kid's bathroom--she claims my bathroom as her own. Can't say I blame her.

Lisa said...

Ohhhh I can so relate! ONE day I will have nice things (that won't be peed or pooped on). I HOPE ;-)