So I put together a mystery dinner. I made up a menu for the children to order their three courses from. It was a simple meal: grilled cheese, tomato soup, crackers, carrot sticks, ranch dressing, jello, and milk. I made the jello ahead of time and poured it into drinking glasses complete with a straw and then put it in the fridge to get jiggly. Oh, and there were cupcakes too. Real ones.
So basically, the kids filled out the menu and placed their orders. Only the food choices were all disguised with a different name. "Messy", "Hot Moon", "Jiggly", "Slurpey", etc. The silverware and napkin were included on the list. Once their orders were placed, Nate and I slipped behind the sheet we had hung across one side of the kitchen and began our mischievous plan. A plan that did not involve the clothes hanger in the middle of the floor. What in the world??!!
We taped up all of their orders.
And tried to keep it all straight.
The jist of it was that what ever you got for the first course, you ate, and then we cleared your dishes and nothing carried over. For example, for the first course one child ended up getting a spoon, a fork, some ranch dressing, and jello. He then had no silverware for the rest of the meal because we took it away with his first course. It was hilarious and I would highly recommend it. Each time we brought a plate out from behind the sheet, we were met with anticipation and a round of laughter. We will be doing this again for sure.
Somehow Jack managed to order a cupcake for round one. Of course he did.
Somehow Jack managed to order a cupcake for round one. Of course he did.
24 comments:
Way to go Jack! I remember doing something like that in youth group, FUN!
This is what HOME should be for our children. You have created such a wonderful and fun memory, filled with laughter.
No one and I mean no one of true importance, will remember that silly little hanger on the floor but they would remember a mommy who was continually stressed out about the non-eternal things.
All the planning that took place to pull this off could have easily been spent making sure everything was in it's right place, but instead you have communicated to your kids that they matter more. And anyone willing to hang a sheet across her kitchen is a woman wise beyond her years.
Way to go Heth! (and Nate) Loved this! I want to be your kid!
Heth that is the most funnest thing ever!
Where do you guys come up with your ideas - I love it. I would love to be a bug on the wall in your house for just a day.
cousin Jessie
I did the "meatloaf cupcakes" when my middle child (now nine) was three (I got the idea from Family Fun magazine. It didn't go so well. The meal ended with her at the table wailing "You should have made REAL cupcakes." The dessert I had for later was too little, too late. It was awful at the time (and I never renewed my subscription to Family Fun)but we all - even the offended daughter - laugh about it every year.
My sister and I used to do meals like that for my parents (poor people). I"m sure they didn't enjoy it as much as your kids did, but we sure had fun watching them try to roll peas off of their plates and into their mouths. I'll have to remember that for next April Fool's Day.
Your creativeness makes me hang my head in shame. But, good for you guys!!
I've actually attended one of those dinners for adults. If you think it is a scream for kids, wait until you see the adults eating their food with no utnesils!!!
I want to come live at your house. You're a fun mom.
that is so awesome, what a great idea. i want to come!!
how FUN!!
What a great idea; so fun!
Very funny. I think I understand it but for those of us suffering from a lack of clarity poerhaps a little tutorial (although am open to a home visit for direct tuition)
Y'all are so inventive. I bet that was a blast!
Hi! I'm new to your blog, and I'd just like to say, "That's hilarious!!" That's something that my dad and mom would have done when I was a kid; I think I'm going to copy you...My kids would love that!
would you be willing to adopt my family? all of us. this sounds like so much fun!
You are so very creative. I love your blog. It is great! How do you pronounce your name?
We did this once too... and I tried to tell Nate to do it with the youth. I'm so glad you did it! Now maybe he'll know what I'm talking about next time.
It's so funny isn't it??? :) Way to go!!! FUN!
Becoming Me- My full name is Heather. Everyone shortens it. Just take off the "er" and you have "Heth".
How fun! I admire parents like you...Maybe someday I will pull off something super creative like that.
That is awesome about Jack and the cupcake! What are the odds?
Hey Heth this is just me doing a test comment to see if I can get my wordpress location to show up. It's supposed to say Ann and not 1smalltownlife. so here it goes, let's see what happens....
I love this idea! Your kids will remember these times forever and have fun reminiscing for many years to come.
It has taken me about a week but I have read all your archives and fully enjoyed them. A good friend of mine recently started blogging and had you as one of her links. Reading your blog entries was like reading a good book that I could not put down. I was constantly laughing out loud. What a fantastic memory book your children will have of their lives from the pages of your blog. Thank you for sharing......
i really liked that idea...
Post a Comment