I made homemade bread.
If I was to confess, I would have to tell you that making bread has always scared me. The yeast seemed almost magical and I have always been afraid of it. I knew I would mess it up. The bread would either spill out of the pan, yeast going crazy and bubbling everywhere like the Thing from the swamp. Or maybe it wouldn't rise at all and I would have a loaf of bread resembling a rock, useful only as a door stop.
I've made it before but it has always involved a bread machine. In the machine it's practically foolproof and easy on the arms. Recently, I got a little braver and started using the bread machine just to mix it and then I would take the dough out, put it in a loaf pan and bake it in the oven. It made for a better shaped loaf, one that is a little more horizontal than vertical. Saturday I took my homemaking skills to the next level and made it all my myself, just me and my muscles. Kneading was kind of fun.
There was flour everywhere.
The best part? The smell of baking bread wafting through the whole house. Even better than that? A warm slice slathered with butter. Almost worth selling your birthright for, if you have a birthright to sell.

30 comments:
Way to go, you! I bet it was delicious.
I had to laugh about the 'magical yeast'; it used to scare me, too.
Ask and ye shall receive...a chance to win one, anyway! Coincidence? I think not...you're in my reader and I happen to know where you can enter to win one.
I'm giving an apron away for the bloggy carnival going on over at Bloggy Giveaways. You can enter to win the apron here.
beautiful bread! too pretty to eat!
YUMMY!
OH MY! If I close my eyes, I can almost smell it! I've never conquered the yeast thing, although I do have a yeast pizza dough that's works pretty well. I love your use of the word- "slathered" ymmmmmmmm
it looks so yummy!!! enjoy! mine is more the doorstop..
yay! go heth! it's like you discovered fire, right? such a powerful feeling, conquering homemade bread. :)
Teach me!!! Yummmmm
Yeah for you! Looks delish! I love making bread... I just don't do it enough. It's a great activity to do the with kids (when I'm in the kind and loving mood :))
Brittany
Mmmm...there's nothing like fresh baked bread! I think I'm off to make a loaf (in the machine of course!)
I made bread this weekend too. It exploded. I wrote about it here http://lostinacircle3.blogspot.com/2008/04/lost-in-translation.html
Oh well, congrats your bread looks yummy! Mine still tasted ok, it was just let mesay NOT pretty.
mmm....I love fresh bread but it doesn't love me. Yours came out beautiful. Mine for some reason will not rise and looks like a hard rock. sigh....it's just not ment to be.
Yes! Start carb-loading. But do it in the Rocky Mountains so you can mega-oxygenate your blood. Yeah, that's the trick. Eat bread while running in the Rockies.
That looks delicious!
No kidding about the "slathered with butter" part! Nothing like it this side of Heaven.
Way to Go, you always have been Becky Homecky! Now if you could just figure out how to make homemade Peeps. :)
OMG that looks so delicious!
YUM! I tried bread baking for the first time a couple of weeks ago- only I let my mixer do the kneading:) It was nice that my kids were finally drooling over something I made.
It looks delicious. And homemade bread certainly gives your arms a workout, with all of that kneeding. Load up on those carbs!
Yum! It turned out beautifully. You should let us in on your secret....mine usually turns out like a rock. I blame it on living in a high-altitude area, but I think it's really just me. :)
always a good idea to make bread when you are cross - seems to make all that hard work of kneading just fly by!
woohoo. Looks so good
Heth,
The bread looks wonderful!!
looks good to me!
Check out my blog post "Aprons, Aprons Everywhere" for info on how to get the cutest aprons on earth!
Congrats on making the bread. I've been baking my own bread for years but a lot of people are intimidated by the yeast and kneading. No big deal. You did it!
I give you a standing ovation! I tried making homemade bread once and ended up with a fluffy outer ring that surrounded a gummy mess. *sigh* I guess I shall stick to store bought.
Your picture is making my mouth water.
You should be proud, that bread looks perfect!
Found your blog through Sarah's post today over at Life in the Parsonage. You've got a great blog, I'll be back to visit for sure.
Jamie
You rock! Good job! Getting the apron might be a big leap, though. One step at a time...
Oh my Golly that looks good! Kudos to you!
There's nothing like the smell of homemade bread baking...except, of course, eating it! Great job!
Post a Comment