Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Standing Ovation

I was shocked, truly shocked.

Tonight we watched the Charlie Brown Christmas Special. Popcorn and apple cider and a couch full of kids. I laughed as Snoopy danced on the piano, much to Lucy's dismay. I empathized with Charlie as everyone dogged him about his choice of tree. We all giggled at the various dance styles of all the Peanuts kids.

And right in the middle of Linus Van Pelt's spotlight speech, my jaw dropped. Did he just say "For unto you this day is born in the City of Bethlehem, a Savior, which is Christ the Lord." on national TV? Wow. Seriously, wow. I was so impressed with ABC's bravery. They didn't cave to the typical politically correct holiday phrases. They could have done some editing. They could have just ditched Charlie and his religious little friend in favor of a more tolerant cartoon. But they didn't.

Good for them.

*edited to add:
I was so pleased with them, that I let them know. How many times do we boycott and complain about all the things our society is doing wrong? Let's thank them for doing something right. If you feel like giving ABC some positive feedback, go here and do so.

14 comments:

Scribbit said...

Yea, I'm quick to complain but not as quick to praise. Thanks for the link.

Norma said...

Good for you. That film was probably made years ago, but it's a still a good idea to support not editing it out the way the mayor of Chicago has done with baby Jesus.

I've written a new hymn to be sung to the tune of Stand up for Jesus. Stop by and take a look.

Sarah said...

It gives me chills to hear the word of God spoken on TV, even when it's the Charlie Brown Christmas Special. That is a wonderful show.

Anonymous said...

I thought the exact same thing. How refreshing that one Christmas show will actually mention the reason we are celebrating. He quoted Scripture at length. Yea for Charles Schulz and his convictions. Good for ABC for keeping it intact.

Truth said...

I haven't seen that for a long time and honestly forgot that was in there. I hope nobody overhears us cheering, or they just might try and edit it out.

Anonymous said...

good blogin'

Did you notice it was the kid who drug a blanket around and sucked his thumb that had the spiritual depth? Don't throw those "boochies" away too soon!

Anonymous said...

Yay for you sending ABC some positive email! Yay for ABC! We watched it too and I kept waiting for them to edit out the good stuff and was slightly surprised when they didn't. It's sad that we've come to expect our beliefs to be negated and erased.

Anonymous said...

We too, were happily surprised! As soon as I read your post, I went right over and left a note of appreciation...thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the ABC link, I sent them a "thanks".

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link! I praised them because you are right we do need to praise especially ABC which is a Disney affiliate!

Anonymous said...

the charlie brown Christmas has always been a holiday tradition in our home since my first baby was small and each and every time i have heard linus quote Luke 2 over the years has given me chills. i am so glad it has always been aired in its entirety since i was a little girl.
it is a very good thing but not a new thing and for that network tv deserves the kudos.

Anonymous said...

I am going to send them a thanks. Good post.

Grafted Branch said...

That's a classic...the only thing sweeter is hearing your own children recite the Luke 2 passage after many weeks of practice.

I can't believe I missed the special. I'm a little sad.

Anonymous said...

Hello! The title of your blog caught my eye and made me laugh. I have twin 10 month olds with severe reflux and don't you know I've kept Arm & Hammer in business!

Thanks for this link to ABC, too. I wholeheartedly agree with your comments and will tell them so! SeaBird