I wish I was Amish.
When we were little, sometimes Dad would take us over to visit a nearby Amish community. I think he bought horse stuff from them or something, I don't really remember. But I do remember standing in a hazy dusty barn, intrigued by the barefoot kids out in the yard, peeking in at us Englishers.
Recently I have been reading a fictional book series about the Amish. I stinking love them. I wish I was one. Let's weigh the pros and cons.
Pros:
- bonnets
- barefeet
- black is slimming
- no bad hair days
- bacon, butter, whole milk
Cons:
- butchering chickens
- no internet
That's enough cons for me right there. Nevermind, I don't want to be Amish. But then I start thinking about the ultimate pro for being Amish: friendship bread. My neighbor just dropped by two loaves. I ate one myself just now. At the bottom of the directions there is a little note about the Amish: they and they alone know the starter recipe. I may still convert.
9 comments:
I swear all the time that I want to be Amish....but then my husband reminds me that I would have to do the slaughtering of all animals that we have raised and I get WAY to attached to pets. Plus then he reminds me he would have to farm, which is not his cup of tea either!! I would be a closet English and order out for the meaty dinners!
Okay, I think it would be totally awesome to have the same black dress to put on every day. No thinking about what to wear, no worrying about it. Deciding what to wear almost keeps me in my pajamas all day.
I like the Amish, too. I remember field trips to Amish communities and I would think, "These people know how to live. We wear Nike sneakers and eat Wonder white bread. We'll all die out and these folks will go right on livin."
I want to be Amish only if I get to look like Kelly McGillis. I'd also give it all up if Harrison Ford came crashing into my barn. (Sorry if you haven't seen Witness)
When the friendship bread lurs you, just close your eyes and remember the one and only year we did chickens.....bleh!
My husband grew up in an almost amish community! ;)the amish lived just a few miles, and he did grow up without a television......
I have a fascination with the Amish too, but the whole no-electricity thing changes my mine consistently! Life without a washing machine just doesn't cut it for me. They sure make great quilt, though!
Oh and quilts, I loved the quilts.
I always liked reading about Hope Chests. What a neat tradition! The simplicity of Amish lives is very enticing sometimes...and I agree, other times not.
Post a Comment