Thursday, October 12, 2006

*grumble*

Last night we were dusted with a powdered sugar sprinkling of snow. The grass is poking it's little green spikes out from under the white stuff. And boy oh boy am I crabby about it.

I love having a big family. These six little kiddos are amazing. Winter, however, takes everything to a whole new level. I can no longer throw a pair of flip flops on a toddler and run out the door. We can't get by with whatever hoodie is hanging by the front door. No siree. When winter comes, we have to bring out from the basement the equivalent of a sporting goods store's youth section and try to find places to hang everything. This little burst of winter caught me a bit off guard and this morning was a chaotic scramble for hats and mittens and winter coats. I gave up on boots and just sent them in shoes, I don't even want to think about trying to figure out which pair fits who.

Caedmon and Jack were thrilled of course and after fifteen minutes of bundling up, they spent a whole four minutes outside. Little red noses pressed up against the storm doors as they poked repeatedly on the door bell and begged for cocoa. Now that I write that down, it seems a whole lot more endearing than it felt when it was happening. Maybe I don't want to ditch this joint and move to the equator just yet. I'm not sure why this little glimpse of winter sent me into a grumbling downward spiral. It could be the reality that I will soon be wading through knee high outerwear everytime I come through the front door. Oh Indian summer, wherefore art thou?

11 comments:

Avery said...

mary set forth the law that i must come over... you have been blessed by my presence... lol

looked around a bit, nice blog, and you do a wednesday photo thingy too...

L.L. Barkat said...

Summer is over here in New York, where I'll be picking fresh peppers for dinner and wishing my tomatoes would ripen up before your sugar snow sweetens my fields.

(Fields, I say, because I haven't mowed the lawn for a while... who says you can't have ten inch grass leading up to the welcome mat?)

Chewy Mom said...

I want to feel sorry for you. Really, I do. But my children have not seen a snowflake in about 5 years, and I JUST WANT TO LIVE NEAR SNOW, darnit!!!! Of course, if I did, I'd be dreaming of Alabama...or something....

Tanya Nichols said...

OHHHHHH how adorable!!!!! pink little nose...better with pics...i could seeeee the rosey cheeks ehehe Love wordless wednesday...how many different times did you photo the sandwich...Im just jealous hehehe

PastormacsAnn said...

Ah yes, I understand. Boy do I ever. (and we don't even live in a place with extreme weather temperatures! )

The shoes and coats laying all over the ground (X6) is what makes me crazy about the cooler weather.

Anonymous said...

We have our first freeze warning tonight and a chance for snow showers. My kids are giddy but I'm not ready! Not just yet. All the coats and gloves...

Anonymous said...

I understand. Let's get the socks, shoes and jackets.

Sorry I haven't been blogging lately. Been SO super busy, but I've accomplished alot!

Kilikina

Visit My Blog

Tina said...

**GRUMBLE GRUMBLE** I'm with ya on that one !!!

Sandy said...

Here in the "Maybe it'll snow and maybe it won't" states, we have to have all the snow items "just in case". But regardless, I always have *socks* all over the house- and all over the yard. Muddy, yucky, ucky socks because for some reason, my kids cannot leave their shoes or socks on unless the ground really *is* covered in snow (and then the socks end up in a ball under the couch). I already miss sandal season...

Anonymous said...

Wow, snow already. That bites.

Least it was only a dusting, right?

Brenda said...

You need a fire place they make you want winter to come...the coziness of a fire somehow makes winter come easy!!