Sunday, October 08, 2006

Mystery Boxes

So I have some organizational issues. I've admitted it. It's nothing new.

Sometimes when we are doing a whirlwind clean for company and I know I just can't get it all done, I have a top secret cleaning method. Wanna know it? Huh? Do ya? Ok, I'll reveal. I throw random stuff in boxes and containers and then put it downstairs. Genius isn't it?

The other day, we were trying to make some progress on some of the clutter around here and I pulled out a cardboard box with a bunch of stuff in it. When I looked inside I just stood there and shook my head. I could tell immediately that it was one of those "secret cleaning method" boxes. And I'm almost positive it was from quite awhile ago. Like a year ago while ago. Here are some of the very important things I found in that box.

  • 4 toothbrushes
  • a key to who knows what
  • a pacifier
  • a hairbrush
  • a tooth
  • a receipt for $248.75 worth of car repairs
  • an eyeglass repair kit
  • a ziplock baggie full of Christmas ornament hooks

What. The. Heck?

So you can see that I really missed some of those things. My lifestyle was completely altered because the pacifier and tooth were in a box in the basement for a year. Lesson learned. THROW AWAY THE JUNK HETH!

(I'm not going to give you a list of all the stuff on the top of the microwave. Trust me, you don't have enough time to read a list that long)

11 comments:

Tanya Nichols said...

tsk tsk...tooth in box...evidence!!! we would have a MAJOR issue if they found the teeth we leave moola for...bad enough when you dont have change the night it falls out and the "fairy" leaves a crisp 5 dollar bill..........ehehehe ...

~cjoy said...

I use that method too! Frightening, isn't it?

Truth said...

Ah, the cram and shove method. Once when my inlaws came for a week-long visit, dh said not to worry about the basement. "They won't go down there, the stairs are too much for them." Wrong! My FIL started down there with, "just wanted to see what y'all have done with the downstairs." Boy did he get an eyefull.

Anonymous said...

How appropriate that I read this today! My house looks like a tornado hit it. It is so overwhelming that I don't even know where to start. And the biggest bummer is that all of my boxes are already full of junk!!! UGH! Great way to start a week!

Tina said...

can i have that eyeglass kit if you don't need it?

Sara said...

I did that sometimes when we had to show our house. I dreaded cleaning those dumb boxes out later. You should just do it and then throw it all away :) Like you said...you didn't miss it!

Kristine said...

This method is so me.

I thought I had a patent on it though.
None of my friends around here use it...(at least that I know of!)

Amie said...

I just started that method a couple months ago! Except......it didn't fit downstairs because it's already full down there. Where did it end up? My bedroom - just cleaned it out today. Except the "junk" filled 2 big boxes and now they are sitting in the living room...at least I got it swept up and surface cleaned....and under the bed looked worse than a 5 year olds. Don't come over tomorrow morning. It's scattered everywhere other than my bedroom.

melanie said...

i have those too, but usually it is a garbage bag from the car.. we have one in the basement right now with who knows what! in the house i usually cram the cupboards, until you open them! who's tooth??

PastormacsAnn said...

LOL!

My girls have boxes like this under their bed and in the closet. Ever so often I look in there and wonder, "Do we really need to keep old empty candy wrappers and toothpicks?"

Keithclan said...

One day, the only things laying around will be the things that you put there. There will be no pacis, no piles of school papers, no socks hidden in the back of your child's closet, no nectarines under beds (oh, that one may just be mine)... and I am sure, though sometimes it's hard to believe it, that we will sit in our clean houses, and miss the mess.