
We have already established that the heat is dear to my heart. I'm still loving this weather. Mowing the yard in the middle of the afternoon is a great way to lose ten pounds. Or to lose ten friends, the smell of a sweaty woman is a little overpowering.
I have another quirk to confess. I'm a bit compulsive about it too. And obsessive. Oh no! Don't do the math on that.....
I cannot stay away from the pool.
There. I said it out loud. Well, kind of. We have three months of summer in Iowa. Three little months. 92 days. Why would I want to waste a perfectly good sunny day in the house doing boring old housework?
Take yesterday for example. It was completely overcast. A very warm day, but the sky was nothing but grey clouds. There was not a speck of blue sky to behold. Deep inside my soul, I was a little bit happy. I would be able to accomplish SOMETHING around this house. Why would we want to go to the pool when there is no sunshine? It completely defeats the purpose. I am a sun-worshipper. I worship the sun.
The pool opens at one. Fine. Lots of clouds, I just kept hacking away at balancing the checkbook. Nothing says fun like a day spent in front of a computer screen of online banking. Good times. Then it happened. At about two thirty, out of the corner of my eye I saw a ray of sunlight stream across the room. I took a peek out the window and *gasp!* blue sky and a few white fluffy clouds. All bets were off. I started barking orders to the kids. "YOU! Get the towels!". "YOU! Put a suit on Gemma." We scrambled around like wildcats and pulled into the parking lot by 2:35.
I'm like a mad woman. I panic. I don't want to miss a bit of summer. It won't be long and my poor oldest three will be chained to their desks, grinding their #2 pencils down to a stub. It won't be long and the wind will be a howling and the leaves will be a falling. It won't be long and we will have to worry about things like boots and snowpants and mittens and hats. So for now, I'm going to let the floor mop it self. I'm going to let the furniture dust itself. I'm going to let the laundry..... wait, that's taking it a bit far.
Today my to do list is a mile long. One of the things on the list is to pack for tonight's big camping trip. I need to clean out the van and get it all loaded up. But guess what? The forecast is 91 and sunny. Come one o'clock, you know where to find me. Look for the lady in the brown suit and pink shades.
9 comments:
You and my husband would get along just fine. He is very addicted to the pool as well. Unfortunately, my one year old did not share his enthusiasm at the beginning of the summer. So at least one weekend day, the two of us were left out. He has started to enjoy the water, finally, and now my 3 year old has a broken arm. I am destined to spend a major part of my summer, basically stuck inside because when it is 110 degrees, if you're not in the water, you are inside.
Enjoy your camping trip!!!
Ooh, I want to live at your house!
Girl, I am WITH you -- but we have 5-7 months of summer in Texas, and only 3 months when the pool is open, and my family takes FULL advantage of it. I LOVE the smell of chlorine (seriously, I do), I love the feeling of lying in the sun, I love my children playing without fighting. I love it all. But, I do feel a bit guilty for telling my hard-working hubby, "I am WIPED out from being in the sun all day" b/c he knows I wasn't laying asphalt or anything!
i so don't understand cuz i hate chlorine up my nose. but that pool in your pic is oh so holiday-in-the-hamptons pretentious and fun looking.
Three months of good weather. How lovely! I live in Ireland. We get occasional bouts of good weather during what we call summer. Enjoy every minute of it.
i LOVE going to the pool too -- and i'm sure your kids are thrilled to get to go so often! it's making memories, i'm sure.
LOL Your post gave me a good chuckle. My kids act the same way when we tell them they can get in the pool...they run around like maniacs trying to get their suits on and get their towels. I guess they are afraid we'll change our minds in the 5 minutes that it takes them to do this. Enjoy your time in the sun...we only get about that much pool time here as well. Sure wish it was longer.
i am the same way!! i live in western PA and we are lucky to get 3 months of summer, but on the days we do...i will do anything not to be inside. my house may look like a battlefield,my work abandonned but they will still be there in Sept. do you sneak out on those nice afternoons in fall and get your last rays of sun too? i do
i love it! gotta love the pool and all those crazy pool friends!
Post a Comment