We filed down the side of the street, a red white and blue line headed up by a father pushing a toddler in the stroller, a mother with a baby strapped to her torso, and four little hooligans in between. I could almost hear the people we were passing whispering and crossing their fingers, "Please don't sit by us, please don't sit by us." We finally claimed our little plot of curb along the parade route and set up camp. All of the children around us suffered significantly reduced candy profits apon our arrival. We tried as hard as we could to keep our children minding the "parade etiquette". No cutting other children off, especially toddlers. No running out in front of the farm machinery. And most importantly, feed mom and dad a steady supply of candy.
All in all it went well. Some highlights:
- Watching barefoot Jack jump up and down and squeal at the sight of the first tractor. His eyes lit up as bright as the fireworks themselves.
- Chuckling as the children scrambled for the few pieces of candy that were NOT Tootsie Rolls.
- Tyler and Caedmon's "almost" red hair. Very patriotic. We are still quite a few shampoos away from their natural color.
- Lots of new pencils and pad of paper.
- One "float" (if you can call it that) threw out a box of Mucha Lucha fruit snacks. Bonus.
There is just nothing like a small town Iowa parade. Let me sum it up in three words:
Tractors. Horses. Old cars.
16 comments:
And, of course, horse poop.
Ah, I've never been to a parade like that. Well, maybe when I was very little and lived in a small town in Arizona. But I would have been only 4 or 5. Gosh, my kids missed out on all the excitement!
Oh, and as a P.S., at our home last night we had an 11 year old boy who was visiting from Iowa. He was so funny, spent most of his time trying to impress us with his recently acquired technology devices. That and when it rained and we got cold he kept declaring that it wasn't cold at all and we should come to Iowa. He was a riot.
The title of this post says everything! I love it. I also love the typical small town parade, which my husband loves to poke fun at but I adore. I love seeing paper crepe taped to tractors.
That brought back so many memories for me! I've been to many a small-town Iowa parade. They were all exciting and wonderful. Very good memories.
i think you forgot the fire trucks! (.. and the firefighters drinking afterward!)
belly didn't get any candy cause she hid from them the whole time, she was afraid they'd throw fire at her, i think she meant water! you know your home when you wait in a line from one town to another for the parade and then again that night to cozy next to 10,000 strangers snuggled on a hill for fireworks. gotta love it.
Actually, I would rather watch YOUR parade any day. It's much more entertaining that seeing every business from every surrounding small town drive their generic car through with a sign on it and that makes it qualify as a parade entry. Of course I am exagerating, but I vote for a total kid parade. But would they be willing to throw the candy....?
...and don't forget all the crazy politicians. Especially on election years. Like anyone is even going to remember which Senator was in the parade come November. Oh well...we had a fun time at a small town Minnesota parade in Pequot Lakes. Same thing up there, but less tractors and more snowmobiles. I especially liked the float full of "antique" snowmobiles. Only in Minnesota.
I am a small town girl living in the big city.
Sigh.
I miss it.
Parades are the best :-)
I wanna go to a parade where they throw candy! All the parades we used to have up north were just parades- no candy!
I totally miss Fourth of July parades (haven't been to one in years)... nothing beats a small town parade! (Do you have pics of the family??)
That sounds so much like our parade. I could not believe how many tractors there were. I wish Magoo were old enough to appreciate them. Small town Washington is very different from the Seattle suburbs where we celebrated last year.
Having never experienced a parade like this, I can only read with saucer eyes. Tractors? In a parade? And where did the pens and notepads come in? Oh I think there's a part of this united states I just don't get....
Love the title! :)
Hey, hwere in Iowa are you???? I just got home from Iowa, literally a few hours ago--we went for the Special Olympic games. We loved it!! Very friendly place!
Hi! I'm new to your blog -- just couldn't resist the title!!
Triple LOVE parades and candy! Coming from the South, where "parade" is a euphemism for candy (and beads and dubloons...) we never miss our little town's July 4 parade!
We have TONS of kids (okay, 4) and Parade Candy Etiquette is this:
If you are over the age of 4, for every item (candy, toy, horseapple [kidding, really!]) that goes into your bucket, you must put something in someone else's bucket.
Also, Mama will put a nickel in your bucket for every treat you give away to a neighboring (non-related) child.
LOL at Shannon's comment!!! The dude with the box of fruit snacks was ahead of us, he gave Madison like tons of stuff, cause she was it the parade, next year I wanna be like him. I don't remember seeing you guys this year. hmmmmm.
Post a Comment