Isn't it funny how you can be cruising along and everything is fine and then the road of life takes a twist that you didn't see coming? Last night I was running some late night errands alone. On my way into town, I had to pull to the side of the road two separate times for two fire trucks flying toward me, lights flashing, sirens wailing. My mind immediately went to the dark place it always does when I see emergency vehicles, "What if they are going to my house?" My pulse quickened but I quickly turned my thoughts back toward the gallon of milk I was on my way to retrieve.
As I turned the corner on to my street I caught my breath. My heart jumped into my throat, my hand went to my heart, and I breathed the words "Oh dear Jesus, no!" out loud to myself and my empty car. The trucks were parked in the middle of the street, right in front of our house. My pulse pounded, I could feel the panic rising. I didn't see smoke, so I immediately thought of all the other horrible possibilities. As I came closer I could see a fireman going up the stairs in my neighbors house, no smoke, everything looked under control. Further information proved that it was a gas leak, and not a serious one. The kids crawled back into their beds and tried to go to sleep despite the flashing red lights on their walls.
I was struck by the quickness in which my heart leapt into high gear. By how quickly life could have changed. My mind now turned to my Grandparents. Early yesterday morning we had news that my Grandpa had been taken to the hospital. It is definitely his heart, they are running tests to see what exactly. Life took a turn for them that morning. How could Grandma have suspected that this is the path her day would carry her on as she made breakfast for him while Grandpa did chores? Did Grandpa have any idea that he would be laying in a hospital bed that evening? I know my Mom couldn't have guessed that she would be spending the night with my Grandma an hour away. And what of today? Tests? Surgery? More tests?
Life is so precious. I forget that sometimes. I take it for granted and I figure that things will always be the way they are. But they won't. Most of the time I have a hard time looking past the now, the day in day out stuff. But life is all about change. Change for the better, change for the worse, we never know what is coming.
10 comments:
Yep: "But life is all about change. Change for the better, change for the worse, we never know what is coming."
Prayers for your grandfather and the rest of your family.
Hope your grandpa is okay!
We have such a big family, and nothing really out of the ordinary happens - we've been completely spoiled. It's so easy to take family for granted when the possibility of anything happening to them is way in the back corner of your mind. Good blog!
Well said. I would have been a mess with a firetruck parked outside my house.
I will pray for your Grandpa. I was particularly touched because when I was 18 my Grandfather passed away and it wasn't until years later that, through family, I realized what a treasure I had taken for granted. I would give anything for just one more day with him.
It's just wonderful to see someone who values their grandparents.
I've had these moments too. And during times when life really did turn a corner I remember with so much clarity driving down the road and looking at other people and cars while thinking, "How is it that everyone continues on like normal when everything is so not normal? Nothing is the same anymore. Yet it is for all of them . . . " Very surreal. I'm so sorry about your Grandpa.
Heth,
I can't imagine the shock and horror you must have felt to see those trucks in front of your house. Sorry you had to go through it and sorry to hear about your Grandpa too. Keep us updated so we know how to pray.
Oh Heth and Chris, I do hope Grandpa is well and back on his feet soon. My own dear Grandpa just had a stint put in a main artery to his heart yesterday and will go back for one in his leg next week. These things are not easy for those closest to their loved one's. But we do know who is in control and that He holds each of our tomorrows. God be with your whole family
Very well put. I need an occasional firetruck out front to get my attention (or a poignant post from a fellow-blogger.) Thanks for the reminder that cruise control is only for very short periods of time.
Enjoying this moment God gives us is the way to live life! I am so glad your family is OK!
I will be praying for your grandparents
I'll be praying for your family heth...
Well said, Heth. I know what you mean about the firetrucks; I've had a few "firetruck" moments in my life as well. I will be praying for your grandparents.
And thanks, by the way, for commenting on my site so often. It's nice to know someone is reading.
Post a Comment