Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Putting it all away

I just finished up De-Christmafying our house. Everything is being packed away in plastic totes until next December. As I took the lights off, I noticed that our tree had the texture of shredded wheat. You know, like all the little crunchies that are left at the bottom of the bag. I wrestled and wrangled the old cactus out the front door and on to the curb where it now awaits it's delivery to tree heaven. It is a bit windy outside today and I keep looking out the window, fully expecting to see the tree go tumbleweeding down the street. Half of the tree was left all over the living room floor, but it is all safe inside my vacuum cleaner now. I had a lot of help from my two little boys, thanks guys, it was fun re-living the green and red Christmas ornament snow ball fight again. The latest in the girls' snowglobe collections are snuggled tightly with the boys' new nutcrackers. It's a fun little tradition my mom started a few years ago. I even clearly marked whose are whose so as to prevent any future squabbles due to memory loss on my part. Hooray for a moment of organization.

I always have an inner debate with myself whether or not to leave out the more "wintry" decorations so the place doesn't seem so stark. This year I opted for no. I have a history of not really getting those last few trailers put away with the rest of the stuff and then we have little mittens hanging on the wall in June. My mother-in-law has gotten us each a little wooden mitten with our name on them, she ends up having to place a new order with the mitten lady every other year. I think she deserves a discount since she single handedly keeps the woman in business.

As I'm looking around the living room, I am extra aware of every nail hole and scuff on the wall. Maybe sometime in the next year we need to switch colors. Any ideas on what would go with tired rose colored carpet, a green love seat, and a purpleish couch? And Nate, don't you have some business trips coming up?

8 comments:

iridium said...

Yes...I do. But there are more important matters at hand. Like: HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?????

No warning? No last look? No last time of laying under the Christmas tree with lights pressed up against my eyes in a pitch black room so as to create my own safe world in my head?

Tell me you left the light-up garland that was around the computers...at least you left that, right?

Man...I'm not coming home from work for 12 months. *sniffle*

Oh, I just remembered...THE OUTSIDE LIGHTS ARE STILL UP!

muahahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

LOL@iridium.

Anonymous said...

Nate, you are weird.

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog from my bloglines the last few days, so when I clicked in I thought I was at the wrong blog. I like your new design, I think I have a sweater that matches it. Pretty darn close anyway!

I can't believe you've already put all your decorations away, I'll be putting ours away through the week. Oops, now that I've said that, you don't think I'll have to worry about finding iridium under my tree do you?

Heth said...

Lauren- I sure pulled a fast one on iridium didn't I? No Christmas tree is safe, pull your shades and unplug your lights. He loves Christmas and is becoming increasingly desperate.

Goslyn said...

Love the redesign. I haven't checked in for a while, so hope it's not a really old redesign. Then I'd just feel dumb.

I envy you the Christmas-free house you now have. I have miles of Christmas lights to wrap before that happens. Ugh.

Amie said...

Men don't sniffle, do they Iridium?

I love that the rest of the tree is "safe" in the vacuum cleaner - you're too funny!

See, t? I'm not the only one! Heth, tell me you have SOMETHING, anything, with a heart on it to replace the Christmas decor?

Natalie Joy said...

I think the living room would look great with a beautiful coat of "cafe au lait" or "creamy cappuccino". Any color that has a name of coffee would be beautiful with your couches (we can ignore the carpet. Let me know I would love to come help.