Monday, April 20, 2009

Making My Kids Eat Gross Stuff- My Life's Mission

I'm sure that my children truly believe that I sit around all day, cackling and plotting what kind of new nastiness I could possibly make for supper. That making their nightly dining experience miserable is my sole purpose for living.

They may be right.

Remember when I made the super colorful chili that was so beautiful? The one that they deeply despised? Another time I tried to serve them soup that had peanut butter in it. I know. I'm not sure what I was thinking either. But this time it wasn't soup.

This time it was black eyed peas and tortillas. I thought it sounded good but what do I know anyway? As they simmered on the stove and the aroma (if you can call it that) wafted across the room, I began questioning my own judgment. It smelled bad. Really bad. But we persevered. I dished everyone up a tortilla filled with beans, sour cream, salsa, and cheese and we dove in. Well, some of us did. Those of us who attempted a first bite were pleasantly surprised and continued eating. Others were in tears begging for chips. And for a couple of them, I'm sure breakfast and "ceeyo" can't come fast enough. I'll let you guess who that would be.

Final stats:
People who had seconds-2
People who had firsts and finished them-2
People who took one bite and were done-1
People who just ate the tortilla after dumping out the contents-3
People who didn't even attempt-1

Want to come over for dinner? It's risky.

20 comments:

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

Aren't you suppose to use black beans? or refried beans?
At home most people eat Black-eye peas with ketchup.

ann said...

I have never had them. I love beans. I'm curious to try them.

Unknown said...

I've got to know, who are the second-helpers and who was the non-attempter? This post is such a fun one! I also loved looking at the ultrasound of baby Beam. Maybe when he/she arrives, the baby will know my voice? Well, atleast on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Thanks for another great post!

Lizzie M. said...

The real test in our house growing up was if the dog would eat it. Trust me, there was a couple of times even he wouldn't touch the dish :-).

Ellen said...

that sounds worse than my cooking skills,LOL! Good try.

Valerie Roberson said...

Hmmm...We're bean lovers at my house, especially black-eyes. Tell them they are for good luck, although the ketchup thing is intriguing :)

lindsey said...

that actually sounds really good. it may make it onto our menu this week.

Nicole said...

Poor Jack know how he loves ceeyo!

let me see if i can guess

2 who had seconds you and Nate

2 who finished firsts Tyler and Cam

3 tortilla dumpers Gemma Noelle Toby

1 1 biter Caedmon---

1 no tryer Jack all the way!

Truth said...

No pictures? LOL, isn't it fun trying new food with kids? Don't worry, it will pay off later.

Amie said...

Never had them! I would try them - what time is supper??

You must have yummy ceeyo for a backup food?

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

At least you try.

We eat the same things over and over and over.

Anonymous said...

I soooo hear you on this one - Remember the exploding beans incident? Every time I make chili now, my kids ask if the beans are "then crunchy kind" or the "ones from the can". Yup, mom of the year - right here. That's me. And apparently, now it's you too:)

Heth said...

The results were:

Seconds- Me and Caedmon
Just one- Nate and Noelle
One bite-Tyler
Dumped out the contents- Gemma, Toby, and Camryn
Didn't attempt- Jack

No surprise there.

Anonymous said...

I am wondering if any of this "experimental food" has anything to do with the belly?? I craved silly things too, but I guess I was nice enough to NOT make my husband eat them! :) Ha ha ha. Did you have cravings with all your babies?

Christi

gretchen from lifenut said...

Jack and Joel are simpatico! He wouldn't try it, either. Food has to look beautiful for him to eat it.

Hats off to you for changing things up, though. I'm not sure what I'd think if presented with a black eyed pea burrito.

momzie said...

I love it. I have to say I'm really surprised at Camryn! I thought it would be Noelle who ate two. Wow. Jack is a given. Oh, how fun. Takes me back to the days of lentil cheese bake! I should make that next time everyone comes home just for laughs!

flowerpot said...

My parents had the horrendous rule "For every time you complain, you get another helping." It didn't take us too long to learn to zip it and eat it. I can still remember sitting at the table eating cold, canned asparagus long after everyone else was happily in the family room watching TV. My mom wasn't the best cook, so you atleast learned to eat the detested food while it was hot.

We were a pastor's family and people always asked my parents how they managed to have three kids who always ate everything offered to them at a guest's house. 'Cuz we knew the torment of 3 helpings of cold soggy cabbage or 247 helpings of cold liver and onions. Oh, I kid. Sort of.

Anonymous said...

I do refried black beans in tortilla shells with cheese & salsa. Takes 2 minutes and I only use the microwave. It's one of my kid's favorite meals. I love that kind of cooking!

-FringeGirl

Vicky Aissen said...

I so think you should post your "final stats" on the meal on the link. They would get a kick out of it. Here's what a family of 9 thought of it... :) And I can't believe you are eating salsa & not suffering some serious heartburn for it! Love your stories!

Dorci said...

Lima beans were my bane of existance growing up. I think the first bite I ever had to take was what triggered an overactive gag reflex. I was one of those who sat at the dining room table long into the evening staring at those green evil beans.

I don't make my kids do that, but they do have to at least try everything.

But I say, you go girl! You're doing an awesome job. And that food looks great to me!