Monday, February 04, 2008

Soup. It's What's for Dinner.


This is what is for dinner tonight. I just finished putting it in the crock pot. I wanted to document the last meal I fed my family before they ran away from home.

What you see is:

tomato sauce
diced tomatoes
chicken broth
onion
dried cranberries
jalapeños
garlic
black beans
butternut squash
corn
chili powder

I took the picture and then I added the meat. Because who wants to look at raw meat?

Just before serving you stir in some fresh spinach and then sprinkle it with cheese. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll let you know who survives.

17 comments:

Rachel Marie said...

That looks soooooo yummy! I wish I had started cooking like that before my kids knew any beter! I mean if you start out like that they just don't know the difference, right? Although it seems like they are wired to reject anything green starting in infancy!

Sara said...

Ooooh Heth. I'm so proud of you :) Healthy mama!

Homegrown Tribe said...

I'm intrigued! Sounds delish. I'd love to know how it goes. :)

Brittany

Anonymous said...

Heth, are you sure you didn't just make salsa??? anything with cranberries,jalapeno,black beans and tomato sounds like a salsa to me :). Or wait, with the chili powder, it must be a chili....lol. Put enough cheese on at the end to cover up the spinach and you might just get them to eat it.....What color will this end up being. can't wait to here the outcome.

yb

Unknown said...

And they would be running away why?
I am making potato soup, actually refreshing a leftover batch with more potato & bacon.

Need something warm and tasty after being sick all weekend.

Looks good, never would have considered dried cranberries.

Anonymous said...

That looks SOOOO good. Please post the recipe!

Tina said...

the picture looks really yummy.
but i hate squash.
leave that out.

then i can come over for supper.

for the record, we're having soup tonight too.

something creamy and chowdery though. i don't think it's healthy.

your family can come and live with me! :)

Tina said...

and might I add what fabulous photography that is! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm saying Caedmon will love it, Jack is going to as for ceeyo, and Camryn is going to try and negotiate her way through it.
Post photos of their first spoonfuls.
I agree with the other mother- cover it with cheese and they may give it a chance, ha, ha.

Save me a bowl!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking about the frozen pizza I was going to feed my fam and feeling like an underacheiver! :)

Ann said...

That looks fabulous Heth!

Staci Eastin said...

I'm afraid I would have a mutiny at my house if I served that, although I think it sounds wonderful. Let me know how it goes.

melanie said...

it looks really yummy! .. as i sit and eat m&ms. i tired dried cranberries on homemade pizza, once. you'd think i'd be smarter. but it looks really good- especially with the squash.

Laura Lu said...

OK, first...gorgeous picture! Way to make healthiness look good! ;)

Two...will you please post the actual recipe? It sounds deliciouso!!!!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Gosh it's so colorful it looks like a Food Network photo! I do want to know how this is received. And someday, if I can find the picture of the red jumper, I will post it so that you can really laugh.

Laura said...

That is one GORGEOUS picture! Gracious - it makes me hungry!

Truth said...

It looks beautiful!