Friday, March 13, 2009

Oh Dear! I Mean OH DEER!

I officially have my very own, personal, almost-die-story as of this morning. Let me share.

This morning at 0'dark-thirty, I drug myself to the garage with my running shoes and water bottle in hand, heading to the gym. I pulled out of the driveway and out on to the highway. I was about 3/4 of a mile away from my house and then deer/explosion/panic.

That's the short version.

The long version is that suddenly, like it materialized from thin air, there was the face of a deer immediately to the right of my hood. I can still see it. Then within a split second, before I could understand what was happening, the noise like a loud explosion. It turns out that was my rear passenger window shattering. My heart leaped into my brain as I tried to process what had just happened. I looked back and the rear passenger window was gone. I looked into the back seat just to make sure the deer wasn't IN the back seat, ready to kick me in the head. No deer.

I pulled into a nearby parking lot and tried to catch my breath. First thought? "Should I keep going to the gym?" Uhhh, no. No window and you almost just died. Second thought? "Is the deer laying dead in the road?" I looked over in that direction and I saw the silhouette of legs and hooves twitching. Third thought? "Do I need to call the police?" No, you don't have your phone with you, dummy. So I turned around and started driving home. By the time I got to the spot where I had hit the deer, it was standing beside the road. Uninjured, I thought but in the daylight, the road tells another story. Ew.

The crying came on slowly. I started whimpering, processing what had just happened. I realized that if it would have hit a second earlier, the front passenger window would have blown out instead, all over me. By the time I got in my driveway I was crying out loud. I'm so glad the neighborhood was still asleep. Hey, I'm a cryer, and I'm not apologizing for it. Just say the word, and I will cry. I walked around in the dark and tried to assess the damage. It was then that I saw the deer hair everywhere, inside the backseat with the shattered glass. Something had flown across the back seat with enough force to shatter the glass on the other side of the car. If it would have been the front seat, my head would have been in the path of whatever that was.

I went into the house, sobbing by now (again with the crying) and woke up poor Nate. He was trying to figure out what in the world was going on and why his wife so upset. Was she attacked? No, but kind of...by a rogue deer. He threw on some clothes and we went out with a flashlight to check out the XB. Here are some pics of the damage:


The poor little Black Lego is in the shop, waiting to find out the extent of the damage and I am not crying any more, so that's good. And also, I'm alive. That's good too.

24 comments:

Nicole said...

oh honey, that is scary stuff!!!!! I think you need a massage and Starbucks today!!!

Angela said...

I teared up just thinking about it! I am so glad all the damage is to the car, not to Heth. Let the tears flow, baby...it's healing. :-) Love you.

Anonymous said...

Wow Heath- I am so glad you are okay. What a horrific morning you had! I'm sorry!

Cousin Jessie

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I cried just reading it...I can't help it either. SO glad you're alright.

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

I frequently ponder as I am driving at night... hmmmm... so if I hit a deer right now.... would I live.... would I roll the van..... would I swerve and end up in the river.... anything can happen. SOOOO glad nothing worse happened. sooo glad! God is good!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Lord, for your traveling mercies for Heather this day.

Sometimes He protects us and we never have a clue. And sometimes we see what He does for us, and we cry....

I'm sooooo thankful you and Baby are alright.

flowerpot said...

Bless your sweet heart! How scary! I've heard a similar story that like from a friend - the deer appears out of thin air and smashes into the side of the vehicle.

I'm so glad you and the baby were not hurt.

Sara said...

Oh Heth! That is so scary. I'm so glad you're ok. Praise God for his protection...

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're okay! A very similar thing happened to us a few years ago - so scary how they seem to appear out of thin air and you have no time to react.

i hope you're able to relax today.

Anonymous said...

Oh how scary!!! I'm so glad to hear that you are safe as well as the baby. I agree with Nicole... starbucks and a massage sounds good!

pcb said...

What a scary experience. My son totaled his car when a deer ran in the front of it. He had to stop the car without being able to see the road in front of him because the impact caused the hood to fly up. I was horrified when I realized exactly what had happened...he was okay and I am so glad you (and your baby) are, too.

Tina said...

First of all.... SO SO SO Glad you are okay. Thank God.

Secondly... I'm proud of you.... welcome to the Almost Die Story world.

They are always always always better stories a week or two...or a year or two...later.

I can't wait to hear the story in a year when the deer has become 9 feet tall and you beat the living tar out of it.. :)

Anonymous said...

What a day! I'm glad you're ok and I'm glad it was the back window and not yours. Those deer need to learn to use a cross walk!

-FringeGirl

melanie said...

aww heth.. how nutso.. im so thankful that you and that little babe are ok, love you.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! How scary for you and thank goodness you are ok! Deer are so very dangerous sometimes!

Anonymous said...

wowza.... that stinks. That hiway is super super bad for deer. I am glad you are ok. We hit a deer head on and the antlers came through our windsheild. Glass all over the whole vehicle. I am glad you walked a little faster to the car this morning, to make it one minute earlier!!
Christi

Anonymous said...

Oh man, Heth. I am so thankful you and the baby are okay.

His Girl said...

Once on a family drive to Texas, we barely made it across the border when out of nowhere a deer darted in front of our van. We were stranded in the middle of nowhere, with bits of deer in our grill, and had limp our vehicle to spend three days in the town of Fredricksburg while it was repaired. We, like you kept picturing how many things could have gone wrong, and just praised the Lord that we lived to tell the tale.

All that to say, I feel your pain, sistah, and am glad your story ends well too :)

His Girl said...

(if you will forgive my sick sense of humor, I'll let you know that we titled the photo we took of the front of our van "that deer in the headlights look")

KarenK said...

I'm so glad you're okay!!!!! I'm sorry that happened to you, how traumatic.

Unknown said...

So glad you're ok! What a way to get the heart beating in the morning. Deer are really beautiful animals...except when they cross the road. Grr....

Anonymous said...

Yikes, Heth!

I am so glad you're okay.

nicole said...

Scary! On the way to a wedding with my dad and mom and husband and baby (less than two months old) we hit a deer. We were going 60 mph and it was a big deer. It pushed the grill of the truck under the hood. And the deer was almost cut in half. We were all fine (Praise God!) but it was very scary. My poor dad was most shaken up, since he was driving and we had the baby with us. And the weird thing is, just that day he had thought about how often people had been seeing deer on that road. Weird.

I'm glad you are okay. I would have been sobbing too.

Truth said...

Oh my goodness! That must have been very scary. It's funny how you sort of go into shock mode and it isn't until your adrenaline starts to slow that you are able to cry.

I'm thankful you were not hurt, that no kids were with you. Sorry about your little car. Hope you are able to get it all fixed up again. Hugs to you!