If I'm looking a bit twitchy and you see extra wrinkles in my brow, it's because we have a new driver in our house. The driver's permit has been obtained and now begins the process of teaching the young lad how to navigate the road. His little plastic card shows a serious scowl much like a mug shot. Guess you've gotta look tough when you flash your id around.
He took his first spin up the block in his Grandma's car, turned around in the parking lot of the Mexican restaurant, and back down the street to our house. It was the most terrifying four minutes of my life. Talk about feeling out of control! I never stopped talking, giving the poor kid a non-stop running narrative of directions. Gas, gas, gas, brake, brake, slow down a little more, ok now take these turns nice and easy, easier, easier, get to the right a little bit, a little bit more, too much, now speed up a little, no, no, slow down, now signal, (he fumbles to find the turn signal) no, no, just forget it, go ahead and turn, slower, slower, turn, now stop, not that fast, ok now go, take it easy, easier, easier, now accelerate, now slow for the turns again, slower, now speed up just a bit, just a little more, not that much, now start braking for the driveway, brake, brake, turn, ok you did it. And then I thanked God that I was still alive and prayed for strength to make it through the next two years of instructions with out us killing each other. Bonding moments, I'm telling ya!
To his credit, he never stopped grinning despite my inadequate and never ending directions. It's good to be a driver, even with your mom riding shotgun.
16 comments:
Oh man, been there and done that and about to do it with the next child. I seriously think 15 is too young to get a permit and 16 is too young to get a license. My gray hairs will attest to that. :o) Have fun.
We are starting this process with our 18 yr. old. Having five kids in the house at one time kept us from letting them get their permits/license due to the high cost of insurance. They were required to wait until they were 18 OR had a steady job and could help us pay for their part of the insurance. My oldest daughter is terrified to drive and still hasn't taken the plunge. I was the same way, not getting my license until she was about six months old and I was 20.
I am terrified of those days!! Thankfully I've got some time. I think my husband will be doing most of the teaching to drive though- maybe I'll let them drive me around when they've got several years of experience under their belt! Hope the twitching goes away soon.
Congrats to him! And welcome to the teaching-your-child-to-drive world. It's fun, exhilarating, frightening, and makes you feel like it really was just yesterday when you were learning to drive.
You are one brave woman!
Tania @ Larger Family Life
You should totally wear a football helmet or a hard hat while riding shot gun! That would be super funny!!!
Christi
Oh Heth, that is hilarious!
only 7 more kids to go ;)
i am sorry but that sounds fun! I can't wait for russ to drive... jedd on the other hand..... terrifyin!
YAY! That just makes me happy. I spent my first few weeks in the high school parking lot. :) My sister broke the rules and SHE let me drive her car - I almost ran into a brick wall. I'm glad he didn't stop grinning - that exciting!
What!?
Didn't he just turn 14? Iowa is a strange and magical place, one where all teenagers would want to move if they knew they could get a permit at 14!
Good luck with that...I guess it would be nice to have another driver in the house. I've told Aidan many times I wish she could drive when I am feeling too lazy to pack everyone up to go to the store for one thing.
hehe. crack me up.. i can just see his grin :)
I love it. And all in the span of just a few blocks. YAY I'm so excited for him! And just think heth, in a few more years, HE can take the kids to school woohoo!
Just wanted to let you know that I'm hosting a give-away today!
Enter by midnight Sunday for your chance to win.
It's a book designed to help parents foster a love for reading in their children.
-FringeGirl
And so it begins.
wow, a new driver. that brings back so many memories and makes my stomach hurt.
that's cute that he grinned the whole time.
Post a Comment