Monday, July 21, 2008

Walmart's Shelves Have Been Lined With School Supplies For Two Weeks

Our school district hangs in the balance of old school and up-to-dateness. Just a couple years ago we were still marching into the high school gymnasium with all the kids in tow, just to sign all the papers and write a check to register everyone for school. We are not quite to the point that we can register online, clicking our children into school. As it stands, we receive all the necessary forms in the mailbox. They can be filled out in the comfort of my own home. In my pajamas. While drinking coffee. No children need to be dragged across town and made to sit in plastic molded chairs, waiting for me to update their information while twiddling their thumbs.

So this morning I filled out all of the necessary papers. Pink papers. Green papers. Carbon copy papers. Right in the middle of it all I came across the question that makes me chuckle every year. Times four. Four of my kids are headed off to school. Four times I laughed at this question. It's an insignificant little check box right in the middle of a bunch of other check boxes. Asthma? no. Heart problems? no. Blood Pressure Problems? no. Hearing Difficulty? *chuckle*

I am tempted to include a short paragraph when I send the registrations back in.

To Whom It May Concern,

Please note that I did not check either the yes or no box concerning my child's hearing. The test results have been inconclusive. Even contradictory. When the words "(insert any of my children's names), time to clean your room!" are yelled at the top of my lungs, three inches from their ear, no response. Completely deaf. On the other hand, when I whisper "(insert any of my children's names), do you want some icecream?" from the kitchen with the dishwasher, air conditioner, and oven fan running, through a closed door and while they are listening to their iPod, they respond within 3.45 seconds. Thus, I am unsure which box to check. Do with it what you will.

Sincerely,

Heth of the Laundry

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shoot, check the box and include the note! Those poor registration ladies need a good laugh. Maybe they'll give you a free school sweatshirt or something.

I hate to say this, but this is the first year since you were in elementary (early 80's) school that I have purchased one lunch ticket. With mixed emotions.
(not the ticket's emotions, mine...)

From Bottle to Box said...

Hearing? My kids hear nothing. My 9 year-old hears nothing. When he was between 4 & 5 years-old and I'd call his name, he'd always respond "nothing!" He wouldn't even wait for the question, it was just "nothing!" "I'm doing nothing!"

Beth@playinwiththepaulsens! said...

that's funny.

Anonymous said...

I agree with momzie....include the note!

Ahhhh, Heth, rest assured this is a childhood affliction.

Born Blonde said...

AMEN!

Sincerely Iowa said...

Yes, our small Iowa district is the same way. We can't do it online yet, but I do get to do it by mail. Makes it so much easier!

And totally send the note!

Michelle said...

LOL! Are our kids related?

Amie said...

HAHA! Too good.

Anonymous said...

hee hee you need to have them include that letter next year WITH the forms, i would totally fill it out and sign my name at the bottom for both my kids--i can say clean rooms and Dairy Queen in the same sentence and all they hear is the Dairy queen part---i think i could say DQ in sign language and they would still hear it over clean rooms--- argh

Marcy Massura said...

I DARE you to actually include that with the form. I am all for random acts of comedy. Spread the laugh I say.....

great post

Sherry said...

Selective hearing! I remember those days. And you have them times four? Bless your sweet, darlin' heart.

(I think the note would be hilarious.)

Unknown said...

HAHA....too funny! :)