Thursday, July 24, 2008

It's Time To Act Like A Grown Up

This morning dawned cloudy with a looming dark sky, threatening rain. The forecast for the rest of the day looks like clouds and 74 degrees. I muttered to myself "It looks like we won't be going to the pool today." In that very moment, I think I heard my house whisper a sigh of relief.

Yesterday I was out of town from about 10 am until after 9pm. Nate called me mid day in a bit of a panic. "How's the house?" I didn't understand what he was asking. "What's the state of our house? Is it a disaster?" I was three hours away from home and was trying to remember how I had left it. We had left in a hurry and I was pretty sure it wasn't good. I asked why. So and so was stopping by and Nate was on his was home with this person right behind him. No time to tidy. When I found out that the person coming over was a dad with seven kids to his name, I breathed a sigh of relief. "It's fine Nate. He'll understand." And he did. And it was fine.

But today, I hang up my bathing suit and I'm going to try to get some stuff done around here. Wish me luck. It could get ugly. I hear the dust bunnies are restless. Maybe even rabid.

17 comments:

Laura Lu said...

I am totally praying for some extra motivation and energy for you right now.

I just had a panic feeling...remembering that the phone company is coming to fix the phone. I quickly went to the calendar to see what today was. Then I called Matt to have him verify that they are coming on the 25th...whew...that's tomorrow, I'm good!

oh for the love of a forever clean house!!!!

trash said...

Just come at them with a chair and a whip!

Amie said...

Dad of 7 kids - yeah, he'd get it. :)

I THINK about cleaning this mess up about as often as I breathe. But once and for all - - - ahhh, I'll do that tomorrow...

Good luck TODAY! :)

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Your house "sighed" I love that :)

Hope your cleaning is going easier than mine!

Tina said...

yeah, of course,... the ONE day I line someone up to take em to the pool...it's this.

maybe the movie will work.

melanie said...

rabid dust bunnies?? scary.

Anonymous said...

i got off work at noon to "clean" I have come to the realization that my house will never be clean. I try, but I have so much to do it is overhwelming and instead i sit on the couch with an icecream bar and read blogs!!!! today a friend from work stopped to get some of our booty from the garden and i was completely embarrassed (she is NOT the mom of 7...) **sigh**

Anonymous said...

In the words of Scarlett:
"I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."
I probably use this line of thinking more than I should!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Re: the perm. Yes, it's wonderful, and it I only have to go to the hairdresser once a week to have it set. (From a child who went with her mom in the 60' and 70's to have said mom's hair set once a week and who gave said child Toni home perms.)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Also, go get 'em today, Killer.

polkadot said...

my MIL stopped by unannounced last night and stayed forever. there was a lot of fodder for judgment, including dirty dishes and laundry and toys and...

well you know.

It's not that it's hard, it's just redundant, right?! The kids are messy, bottom line.

noha said...

I can't even begin to imagine how you do it with 7 kids. My sister's got two under 3, and there is no.point.whatsoever. in trying to keep anything tidy until after the kids go to sleep, at which point we're just exhausted and want to go to sleep too, so...

Anonymous said...

Always nice when unexpected house guests "get it".
Good luck with those dust bunnies...

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed the state of your house even crossed Nate's mind. Sounds like a great guy.

I hope the cleaning went well.

His Girl said...

rabid dustbunnies!
hah!

Anonymous said...

It's scenarios like this that make me wish I would really stick with the whole FlyLady routine...

Katie said...

Oh my goodness, I know that moment... and the relief of a rainy day... or broken car, which is what kept me home the other day, and I NEEDED to be home.

:)