Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Puzzles

Being a mother requires the ability to put together unusual puzzles.

You start off simple, poring over and analyzing every word on the directions to the pregnancy test. What does one line mean? What do two mean? Did I do it right? Is that a faint pink I see or am I just imagining it.

Then you jump to a super advanced puzzle. The re-assembly of a newly washed car seat. Difficulty level: 10. Heaven forbid your little precious should spill ketchup while eating french fries in the van, or that they should barf. It's inevitable, you will eventually have to take that thing apart and wash it and then pull out your hair putting it back together.

There are the obvious puzzles involved in parenting. Little wooden ones with pictures of animals and numbers, then later 250, 500, and 1,000 piece puzzles. The kind you set up the card table for. The kind that toddlers love to ruin.

But yesterday I attempted a new kind of puzzle in my mothering journey. The challenge? Inserting football pads into football pants. The seventh grade football season has begun and after two weeks of practice, the pants finally left their home in the locker to be de-grass stained for the first game. I'm sure once they left the locker room, they breathed deeply of the fresh air, no longer surrounded by the stench of pubescent seventh grade boy sweat. I hit them hard with the Oxy-Clean and once they were clean I realized that they needed to be reassembled. A belt and seven interestingly shaped pads were involved and I won! Another puzzle conquered.

12 comments:

Lovely Rita said...

My puzzles are more of the orderly house type. Fitting together the time tables of two nap schedules with my cleaning schedule so I have a 3 year old to help and not the 1 year old to destroy. Hmmm. It may be easier to just let both children rest from 1-3 p.m. and let me clean alone. But then, what am I teaching my son? That mom will always pick up after him?

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for that puzzle. :)

Good job!

Someone said...

A more literal mommy-type puzzle I've done recently is the reassembly of the Usborne Jigsaw World Atlas after it had been taken all apart by the three year-old. I love Usborne books, but this one makes me grumble! (It's on a higher shelf now.)

Mom said...

Moon shoes. The assembly instructions for moon shoes blew me away, I would rather put together a triple stroller blindfolded.

Mrs. Schmitty said...

Mr. Schmitty is not mechanically inclined. I put together EVERYTHING, baby furniture, desks, bunk beds, you name it. So I am well experienced! :)

Anonymous said...

Ooooh...sounds like a real bear. Congratulations on your triumph!

Truth said...

Woohoo! Believe me, that boy sweat on uniforms only gets worse. But laying them in the sun not only helps get the stains out but helps freshen them up a bit. (Febreeze when necessary.)

We love to do all kinds of puzzles here. We had a 1000 piece one going a couple of weeks ago. It was within about 50 pieces of being finished and Ethan came over. Sadly, he ate a few pieces.

Anonymous said...

Bravo! Would you rather do the car seat or the football pants.
Doesn't matter, you're going to be doing both for quite some time!

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

I have done all those puzzles, but on the last one, I have taken it apart (for washing) but haven't had to put it back together.

Amy said...

how about the baby bjorn puzzle? ever laid that thing out on a bed wondering which hole your arm goes in, your head, not to mention where the actual baby goes nor how in the heck to get her in there! And, everytime you put it on, it's like you have to learn it all over again! Good Luck!

Ann said...

I can TOTALLY relate. I've gotten myself pretty frustrated trying to put those things back where they go. I have the hardest time with the knee pads. The upper thigh ones and the ones that snap are a sinch. But those knees...grrrr!

Qtpies7 said...

Oh, yes, the football pants puzzle. I know it well........