I do not enjoy taking my children shopping. There. I said it out loud. It's the truth, I avoid it as much as possible, strategically planning my errands so that I can go with as few offspring as possible. It keeps me a little more sane. There are those times that it cannot be avoided and I am always a little bit intimidated by the unpredictableness of toddler and preschooler behavior. Often they surprise me and behave as angels complete with shining halos. Often they do not. On occasion I have left a store and sat in my car and tried unsuccessfully to hold back tears of humiliation. Just keeping it real, Yo. There are probably those of you out there who have your troops marching in perfect order behind you with smiles on their little faces as you browse the aisles. God Bless you. Are they robots? Where can I order some?
Today I was pleasantly surprised. Not because the under five set behaved themselves but because of the kindness of a stranger. I needed to run a quick errand in a not so child friendly store. I thought I had all my bases covered: Toby in the wrap, Gemma in the umbrella stroller, Jack......well, he was roaming free but I had given him the pep talk. There is a little pep talk I give before entering a store. It goes something like this: "We are going to be good in the store today aren't we? Let's listen to our Mommy and this will be FUN!" Inside I am mentally crossing all of my fingers and toes, hoping the trip doesn't take a turn for the worse.
We made our selections and all was going well. I was proud of the crew for behaving themselves so I offered a treat. (keep your bribery opinions to yourselves please, desperate times call for desperate measures. I like to think of it as "rewarding positive behavior") The choices were: a Laffy Taffy or a Sugar Daddy. Two perfectly acceptable options. But not in Jack's mind. He was going for the mother load. He eyed the candy display and saw many, many more appealing choices. The tantrum began. I was paying at the time and there he was, throwing a fit on the floor at my feet. He is the king of ultimatums and he was dishing them out left and right. I stayed calm and I stuck to my guns (although I was thinking some of my own ultimatums inside my pretty little head). At one point I was handing over my debit card to the cashier while trying to wrangle the little mustang in my arms. He went all wet noodle on me.
Many times in the past these kinds of scenes have gone down and I have just cringed on the inside. I look around and start to worry about what everyone around me is thinking. "Just give him the candy so he will shut up." or "Get your kid under control lady." or who knows what. This morning the cashier made my day. "You are doing great." she said. Just four little words that gave me the energy to go round two with my little munchkin. I mumbled something about winning the battle, finished my purchase, and herded Mr. Meltdown out the door to the car. It was at that point that I realized that Gemma was holding two little stuffed animals that we didn't pay for. We turned around and went back in, returning them to the display. The ladies behind the counter chuckled. It took me a few minutes to get the kiddos buckled into their respective carseats. As I started to pull out of my parking spot, the lady who had checked me out came running out of the store. I had left my debit card on the counter. I laughed and made a comment about it being "One of those days" and she said the sweetest thing. She told me that she had been so distracted by the beautiful way that I handled my sugar-hungry hooligan (not her exact words) that she hadn't noticed my card sitting on the counter. It made my day. I pulled out of that parking lot with a renewed confidence in my parenting skills and not one single tear in my eye.
I don't tell you this story to brag myself up. I am completely aware that there have been plenty of times that I have caved and given into my preschooler's demands so that we could just get out of the store without causing a scene. There have been other times that I have held my ground only to fall apart in the car. I tell this story to show the power of an encouraging word. That lady behind the counter spoke just the right thing to me at just the right time. We have all seen a kid melting down in public before, sometimes we look away and other times we stare. How about a kind word to the mother? It just might make her day.
26 comments:
Good for you! Good for her!
I always agonize over the mother's in the store with the meltdown kids. People can be just idiots are it.
Yes, I get frustrated listening to a screaming toddler or child. Mine have screamed and cried. Lord knows.
But, isn't it better to maybe:
- offer to let them go ahead of you in line
- smile and tell them you understand
- offer to unload their basket for them so they have two hands free to wrangle the munchkins
Something- anything but stand there and snarl. They feel bad enough, although God know why. It's like we all go into "my kids would never act that way" mode. Yeah. Right. Kids are kids.
True story -
We were shopping and this particular store gave out suckers to every child in line. Jonathan was maybe 4 and having a full tantrum. I had been in line for a few minutes trying to get him calmed down and told him in no uncertain terms to get over himself. He was old enough to know he was being bad.
Once we got to the register, the lady cashier leans over and tries to hand him a sucker. She said something to the effect of "You're such a good boy, here's a sucker".
I fairly knocked said sucker out of her hand and said "On what planet have you been the last ten minutes. This is NOT good behavior and we will not reward BAD behavior."
Two parents behind me gasped in horror like I had just beat my child, and the cashier behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said" Good job mom" with a smile.
That made my day. And he didn't get a sucker.
Stick yo your guns mom. In the end, it's worth the child they become.
Oh this made me laugh!!! I could totally see it, and of course I miss you guys so much I wish I could have been there.
Gemma with the stuffed animals, hilarious!!!! And by the way, only a Sith speaks in ultimatums.
You did great, Heth. People are thinking more about and tuning into the parent's reaction, rather than the actual meltdown. Like you said, everyone has seen or had kids throw tantrums, but what people REALLY want to see is how the mom/dad reacts.
I love it when people rock.
I see children melting down in the store almost every single time I go. Mind you, they are usually mine ... but I promise, after this post ... if the little screamer doesn't belong to me ... I'll say something encouraging to the rightful owner.
It IS true ... a few kind words can work wonders.
:)
Glad you wrote it down. It makes me feel a little more normal because as much as I sometimes wish it, I am not the mother of the robots you mentioned. We have "octopus boys" who can extend their reach by about ... oh, 6 inches further than the distance to the shelves in each aisle. And grow arms as well, it seems.
But really, how much fun are robots to take to the park?
I love the people who don't keep it to themselves...they see something great and they tell you ;) AWESOME!!
Heth...you ROCK!!! You are a BEAUTIFUL momma...with that beautiful blonde ur, ummm reddish hair holding in all those game-plays to out-wit the kiddos! I was actually impressed that the candy wasn't mentioned before entering the store...you never cease to amaze me. I resort to offering up anything with sugar just to get through the store...desperate times call for desperate measures...not even close to bribing in my mind! :)
Tell Jack, a man after my own heart for sugar, that I totally would have gone for the Laffy Taffy myself.
When we moved to a new town I went to the grocery store twice with all of them with me...twice the youngest managed to climb out of the cart while I was paying, pluck some sort of candy from the rack and proceed with eating it. Of course, this is all while I am running the card through the machine...too late for them to add it on. Do I ever have cash with me...never! So I am begging money off of my kids so I don't have to run my card through with a screaming toddler for a freakin' pack of Lifesavers! Of all of the candy that she could have chosen...she chose LIFESAVERS...they were the farthest thing from their name! The lady that rang me out both times, the one that gave me the most incredibly dirty looks I've ever had...well, she ended up attending the same church that we go to! ;)
What a blessing those kind words are...I will definitely remember this!
You ARE doing great because you are perfect for mothering your children. I mean, God could have chosen billions of women to mother them, but he entrusted you. And don't let anyone make you doubt rewarding children for good behavior. Last time I checked, I really appreciated my paycheck for a job well-done at work.
Agree. Totally.
Oh how many times I have been in your shoes over the years and to be honest, I can only retell of maybe 4 times someone has been that nice about it! You hit the jackpot with that cashier today!! You both are very blessed!!
Supermom (noun): One who can be truly honest, carry a sense of humor, and enjoy the simple pleasures of life. That's you! Thanks for the important reminder of how far a few words of encouragement can go.
I had a moment much like that in Sam's Club. A lot of times we'll do Icee's if the kids have been good (yes bribery) and my 7 yr old son had disobeyed one too many times while checking out so he was not getting an Icee and he was mad and begging and whining, etc. but I was not giving in and I was not going to deprive his sister. The lady in front of me turned around and said "Way to stick to your guns." I think that made Noah actually quiet too.
I sense a revival of check-out encouragement coming from this one humble blog. I think I'll go to Walmart tomorrow and keep getting in line behind mothers of small kids just to cheer them on.
Way to be transparent about real life, Hez. That check out lady deserves an employee of the month bonus.
That is great! I would have loved for someone to say that when my daughter had her tantrums..... However, When you said that others were probably thinking "just it him the candy" or "control your kid"... I would have been standing behind you thinking "Don't cave in... Don't cave in... If you do he will just do it next time!!!!" LOL
Pat yourself on the back you should have gotten a sugary treat for yourself!!!!
-Kate
Someone knows what a mother needs in her most trying times. :)
This was such a blessing to read. Like Momzie, I can't wait to encourage the next mom I see struggling. Thanks!
This is a great post and such a reminder of the power of our encouraging words. Thanks for sharing it!
I love this story. It reminds me of my little trip early this week. I took LK (2 yrs) and LW (10 wks) to McDonals. Obviously LW wasn't going to eat anything. ANYWAY. I'd been out running errands and by accident ran into our lunch time.
When I took LK inside we had to wait in line, I guess a local school had open campus lunch. LK was so mad b/c he thought we weren't eating McDonalds (because we were having to wait) he actually LAID ON THE GROSS FLOOR and was crying! I had LW in the carseat on my arm, and LK screaming with high schoolers, and moms, and working dads looking at me.
When I paid for my food I actually had to put the car seat across the way and walk back to physically PICK UP LK while the person who had been behind me in line was ordering but couldn't stand close to the co unter because MY SON was in the way.
I was so embarassed and felt like everyone was staring at me, and criticizing. And maybe they were.
I could have used a pep talk like yours!
No that does my heart good - Happy Friday:)
Im glad you posted this. I have two boys, one very well behaved and the other can be a complete terror at times. people dont realize its not your parenting that is causing them to act the way they do. its just their personality, and you deal with each kid in a different way. I am so glad the cashier said those encouraging words! and maybe by you writting about it, it will remind all of us, of the times our kid pitches a fit, and next time when we see a child doing the same thing, remember that mom is not alone, and offer some encouragement!!
That is so cool. Maybe I should start "paying it forward" now and say nice encouraging things to the mommies with rambuntious little ones in public, so that when my girl is old enough to arch her back and throw a fit over candy choice someone will be there to do the same for me.
Sometimes that is all it takes, just a few kind words, for a mom to get through a situation like that. Too many times we are given "those looks" instead of something more positive.
As a gramma who can totally fanticize about having perfect kids who weren't "allowed" to throw fits in the stores, I know that I have given the looks and maybe made a few comments under my breath. Thanks for the gentle reminder that I too was once a young mom and NO, my kids weren't perfect and yes I had many many embarrassing moments. I will now also try to remember to "pay it forward"...of course I find it really hard to believe the little sweet Jack would do such a thing....lol
ooma
ok so today i had an incident. i posted about it. i decided not to leave that long comment on your blog.
Great story. The Bibles says, "Like apples of gold in settings of silver is a word spoken in right circumstances." Proverb 25:11. How kind of the Lord to use the words of a stranger to encourage your heart. If you will stay at the task, your children will one day rise up and call you blessed. Until then, isn't it great that someone else did. Blessings. jean stockdale
It just goes to show that a little positive affirmation, for even us moms, goes a long way. It makes me want to compliment other moms who are really trying, because mothering is a constant struggle. I think you are a great mom, and I want you to know that too!
Post a Comment