Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Change

We have had a big life change at the Laundry Pile house. I've been putting off posting the news, not because I'm not excited about it or didn't want you all to know, but because there are so many different ways I could write about it. I just haven't been sure which way to go.

I could take the laundry route and say it this way, " I'm going to be washing a clergy cassock now and I'm not sure if those are dry clean only or not."

Or I could take a super-spiritual route and explain how God has completely directed even the smallest details of our lives and continues to do so in ways that just amaze us, including this new path. Especially in this new path.

Or I could just come right out and say it: Nate quit his "regular" job and has accepted the Pastor of Student Ministries position at our church. He has worked with the youth for almost 8 years and now it's his full time job. We are thrilled.

As we approached this decision, we had to answer some hard questions. The three questions I personally wanted answers for pertained to being a pastor's wife.
  1. Do I have to wear pantyhose all the time? Even when I'm scrubbing the toilet?
  2. Are there any secret casserole recipes I should know about?
  3. Do I need to know how to play the organ?
Just so you know, Nate doesn't need to wear a cassock. Most days he leaves the house in a t-shirt and shorts. I know you were wondering.

This really has been an amazing time. The last three months or so have been a pivotal point in our lives. God has shown Himself to be so trustworthy. I have learned that He not only guides the big moments but also cares about every little detail. I know that sounds so cliche, but it became real to me through this transition. Like I said at the beginning. I don't even know how to write about this. I'm having a hard time putting all of my feelings into words. So like Mary, when she had a big event in her life, (the birth of our Savior!) I think I will just stick to pondering all these things in my heart.

27 comments:

Truth said...

Congratulations to Nate! Heth, you are going to make a wonderful pastor's wife. I am very excited for you.

And the pantyhose thing? You always look way too cute to need those.

Casserole secrets? I'll bet you have plenty of those too.

Playing the organ? With your bunch, you could be your own band.
(I'll be praying for you though, just in case some people have certain expectations of a pastor's wife that nobody could ever fill.)

Sara said...

Yeeeha! I'm so excited for Nate and for you and all of the amazing plans God has in store. Doesn't life just get better and better?

boomama said...

Wonderful news...and I'll totally hook you up with some new casserole recipes if need be.

However, I can't help you a bit with the whole playing-the-organ thing.

:-)

Tina said...

1. yeah.... all the best pastor's wives wear pantyhose...pretty much.

2. I'm a pretty sure you do and I think you have to cook for the support staff at least once a week to get on the good side for them to "do stuff" for him.

3. yeah, I think so... but you have some really sweet bow hunting and organ playing skills so it shouldn't be a problem.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations to Nate and to you! What an adventure you have in store. So cool.

KarenK said...

Congrats, Nate!

I think what you're really gonna need is some JELLO recipes. Preferably ones with celery and nuts in them.

There is nothing cliche' about any of it. :)

Someone said...

My hubby's aiming to do the same switch-to-full-time-ministry thing soon. You can let me know how it goes. I've heard that soon all the church ladies will be asking you over for their turkey pot pie.

Emily said...

wow, congratulations to your family! that's fantastic news.

Rocks In My Dryer said...

Very exciting, Heth! And I have some rockin' (I mean, um, HOLY) casserole recipes for you...

Judy said...

We are SO excited for you guys, and those who are/will be so blessed by Nate's leadership!

I'll be checking for pantyhose from now on! :)! LOL

Ann said...

I'm so happy for you guys!!! And I'm dying laughing at T's comments! :)

MrsFierceShoes said...

That's a great thing! And, from a former pastor's wife, NO, pantyhose are not required ALL the time...ha! The Lord knows how uncomfortable they are!

hannahjoy said...

I am SO EXCITED for you guys! *Smiling giddily with joy.* I know God has great things in store for you and the youth...

Anonymous said...

OK, Tina....we need to work on what movies are influencing you....I think you need to upgrade to Pride and Prejudice or Sense and Sensibility.....?

GOSH!

Forget the caseroles and focus on desserts. Don't you dare touch an organ! Just dust off your violin and the panty hose are up in the Christmas box wrapped around a coat hanger you made into a reindeer in elementary school.

melanie said...

you guys are great, we are so happy for you. throw those panty hose and casseroles out the window girl and make the new mold.

Anonymous said...

Long time lurker here....

Just be yourself and the church will love you - just as God designed!!

Blessings on your journey to Glorify God,
Patty
(Ann's friend)

Heth said...

Hi Patty! Glad to see you comment!
*wave*

Jenni said...

How exciting, Heth! It's so wonderful to feel that leading and know you are in the very best place you could possibly be...the center of His will.

Just say "no" to pantyhose. That's my motto.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I told my mom when I was growing up I would never marry a preacher/missionary. I did NOT want to play the piano for a congregation! I did not marry clergy, but I work in a youth ministry. It is the most fertile ground for seed-sowing! Some fruit shows up right away, as you know from 8 years' experience, while some will bud years from now. Bless you for caring about the youth in our world.

Tracy said...

(de-lurking!)
Heth- I'm a pastor's wife and I don't sing, sew, play the piano, and I'm incredibly stagefright. People just appreciate you being you! And since you've already been at the church for years...they know you! So be you!

One day I wore a skirt and matching jacket to church and one of the older ladies say, "Oh my! Don't you look like a pastor's wife today!" Uh oh...what did I look like previously? : )

Congratulations!

Pamela said...

Wonderful news! Congrats. You are blessed indeed.
If you need any casserole recipes I have a few. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh we love you just the way you are. Don't you dare dig those pantyhose out! If you start, then maybe someone will think the elder's wives have too.

Anonymous said...

Well I think that sounds exciting! Congratulations!

I'm finally back in the blogging world, Little Wiseman is now 10 days old. I'm tired to say the least!

Natalie Joy said...

I do sing, but you know I DO NOT play the organ or piano and although I like a good casserole from time to time you won't find anything with tator tots or anything JELLO with nuts in it. Thank God there really is no "mold" for what a Pastor's wife should be or I'd be in big trouble. You and I can show up to all the church potlucks bare-legged with "Better than Robert Redford" dessert in hand. (I think the Robert Redford part replaced a three lettered word that we'd rather not have in your comments section... you are a Pastor's wife now.)

PastormacsAnn said...

How wonderful! I'm sure you'll both be great.

Praying for many blessings to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

WOWZERS!!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!!! You guys are a great pastor's family...just look at all those kids! (Aren't all pastor's suppose to have a gazillion kids?!?) Plus Nate already has experience driving a big church van! And he is not afraid to eat or drink weird things...do you remember when he made a pitcher of kool-aid with powdersugar because you were all out of sugar? He is naturally great with kids...and now it is official...you don't have to grow up you are a Youth Pastor family!!! WhooHoo!!!!

I am so excited to see the Lord using you for His glory!!

Kimmie said...

Congrats on the new job...God is way cool.

Your questions pertaining to a Pastor's wife crack me up...too funny!

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted
come and meet us!