Friday, July 27, 2007

Adventureland

One of my fondest memories as a kid was my parents waking us up one summer morning and announcing "We are going to Adventureland today!" Adventureland is a little theme park in Des Moines that isn't really all that awesome, but to a kid it is the BEST. We went there every few years during my childhood and I loved it every time. We would spend weeks counting down the days until we went. But I especially loved the year that Mom and Dad surprised us the very morning we went. Nate and I decided we wanted our kids to have the same memory so last Friday we woke them up early and announced, "We are going to Adventureland!"

When we walked through the gates, the smell of hot asphalt on a summer day hit me and I felt like a kid again. Except that now I can't stand any rides that spin faster than a carousel. Even the carousel is pushing it. Love the rollercoasters though. WOOT! We even learned a few things while there. Who says that theme parks can't be educational?

Noelle learned that some games are not winnable and used up all her money trying.











Nate learned that he can throw a ball fast enough to win a cheap plastic helmet.














I learned that it is possible to take WAY too many picture of the kids on the carousel.














I also learned that taking a picture of myself on the carousel is tricky and borderline dangerous.














Jack learned that he isn't quite tall enough to experience death defying rides.














We all learned that when you are four, catching a frog takes time. Lots and lots and lots of time. Frog catching is an art.














We learned some other things that I don't have pictures of. Things like:
  • It is entirely possible to spend three thousand dollars on funnel cakes and lemonade.
  • Big, colorful popcicles are very fun and very sticky.
  • Mom may have a panic attack while riding the Ferris wheel with a baby, a two year old, a four year old, a six year old, and an 8 year old. Holy cow, Ferris wheels freak. me. out.
  • The duck pond water, while very enchanting in appearance, is actually extremely stinky and full of duck poop and you might not want to slip and fall in.
  • Age is no indicator of braveness. Some six year olds are willing to ride anything.
It was just a fun as I remembered. I hope my kids remember it when they are 30.

16 comments:

Truth said...

I know there is fun in anticipation, but I love the surprise idea of going to Adventure Land. Makes it all the more adventurous! I wanted to be there too, smell funnel cakes, watch chins drip with colorful popsicle drips and enjoy the fun.

Sara said...

Oh my yes. So fun. I remember going on church trips there. Like you said though...way cooler when you're a kid :) Looks like you had a great time!

Kimmie said...

Sounds like fun family times...enjoy them and don't eat to much funnel cakes ;-)

Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted
come meet us ;-)

Unknown said...

sounds like you all had a great time!! :)

Jenni said...

Aww! I love that! Sounds like the way the very best memories are made--spontaneously!

Tina said...

sounds like fun!

bethtrue said...

that is an awesome story and what a great memory for the kids! thanks for sharing!

Beth (mommy to an almost-4 yr old)

Anonymous said...

Oh how CUTE! I love those pictures and it looks like you had a blast!

Carrie said...

I have LOTS of fabulous childhood memories of Adventure Land! Thanks for helping me remember a great place.

Pamela said...

Sounds like a great day.
I just love reading your blog. I love hearing about the kiddos. Thanks for sharing. You and your dh are very very blessed. :)

Judy said...

Jack is such a riot! I love that! You are a BRAVE woman to do the ferris wheel with a babe and all the rest! FUN FUN FUN!!!! Our boys would be green with envy! They've been begging to go back this summer! I love the idea of the morning wake up too. That's a great idea!

meNmykids said...

Sounds like a blast. I'm sure that they will all remember it as fondly as you do. What a nice thing to do with the kids.

Trina and Jophie said...

Holy cow is right! Ferris wheels freak me out too but YUMMO to the funnel cakes! Sounds like some fun memories for your little ones. Glad you had a good time.

We have a place like that we went to when I was a kid called Kings Island. We loved it too!

Trina

Kiki said...

Man, this post brings back memories! We would meet our cousins at Adventureland and would beg and beg to play the game where you throw a quarter and it has to land in the perfect circle to win a huge, giant stuffed animal. Well, one year as a lesson, my parents and our aunt and uncle decided to let us play so they could teach us how we are wasting our money. Well, my cousin, Carrie, won! We were 8 and I was the one who learned the lesson. A giant stuffed animal, not something to be so jealous over you can't congratulate your cousin on her big win!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word. I remember Adventureland! I LOVE it there. I have very fond memories of the Silly Silo. :D

Anonymous said...

You deserve an award for the ferris wheel ride with so many little people!!!

I just noticed that chilihead mentioned fond memories of the Silly Silo - I was just going to share that I have horrible, rotten, stinky, memories of that said, Silly Silo at Adventureland!!! First of all, spinny rides and I don't fair well. Add someone on the other side of the Silo finding out that they get sick while spinning. Picture vomit spraying all of the unsuspecting victims held hostage by centrifical force along the wall of the Silo.

Yeah, that was me and a handful of others who were given a shower that smelled worse as the heat increased throughout the day. Needless to say, even if I wanted and could handle spinning rides, this would never be the one!!