Tuesday, May 01, 2007

What's For Supper? How about Candy?

May Day is my new favorite holiday. It's genius really. The doorbell rings and when you open it, surprise! there is candy. What more can a girl ask for in life? It's like trick or treating, only with out the costumes and all of the walking. The only thing that could possibly make May Day any better is if instead of leaving candy, the sneaky doorbell ringers left cute shoes, or purses. Wouldn't that be a day worth celebrating?

But participating in this thrilling holiday is not for procrastinators. It sneaks up on me every year. One day I'm cruising along, it's April 30th, and all is well and then ACK! I flip the calendar and now it's suddenly May 1st. MAY DAY! Quick, make a trip to the store for Dixie cups and candy! And that is what we do every year. Today I realized it was May Day at 2:30 pm. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Again, I was not prepared. And so I made an executive decision. This year I was bailing. We were not going to participate in the ringing and running. No last minute grocery store trips. No driving all over town. And I felt good about that because as of 2:30 pm, we hadn't received any May baskets.

As of 6:27 pm, 18 individual May baskets have appeared on our front step along with two giant family sized ones. THE GUILT! The people of our town, my friends, neighbors and family are spending their hard earned money on candy for my children and I am doing nothing in return. How am I going to live with myself? (Just a second, I need to stuff another Reese's Peanut Butter Cup into my mouth.) Anyway, as I was saying, I feel terrible. The year I decide to boycott is the year May Day visits our house in full force.

I don't feel like cooking supper. No one is hungry. But popcorn and twizzlers are a part of the five food groups right?

(While writing this post, six more May baskets were delivered to our front step. I'm not even kidding.)

14 comments:

Tamara said...

I used to love May day but unfortunately I have not lived up to my own mothers wonderful ability...and we seldom (maybe once) follow through with our May Day ideas...there are many that run through my head (let me say a quick thank you to FAMILY FUN magazine for this). But nothing got done AGAIN this year. Can I blame it on Teacher Appreciation Week and the stress that goes along with that?????

Natalie Joy said...

We did not participate this year, so none of those sweet surprises came from us. The unfortunate bit is none came to us either. I think you have been my one and only source of May Day joy in the past few years. Oh, well. My kids didn't even realize it was May Day and coming home from work at 7pm there just wasn't enough May Day energy left. Enjoy your spoils!!!

Sara said...

Ooooh you are so spoiled. And popular :) Enjoy it. Stop stressing silly. I NEVER do May baskets. My mom used to do them when we were little...but I haven't forever. So today, I made cookies and did "May Bags" for the people of live in our 4 plex. Yay for me. :) ha. I mostly made the cookies for Matt though...so does that really count? Miss you.

Anonymous said...

Good Lord! Are you kidding? I have never received a single solitary May Day basket, although I have always thought it was a really nice idea, and have always planned to do such a thing although, like you (but only this year for you apparently), the day arrives and I bail. Do you live in OverachieverVille, or what? Sounds like you are getting paybacksies for a lifetime of lovely May Day Deliveries! Enjoy it!

Can I send you my address? Will you send me a May Day Basket if I do?

Rocks In My Dryer said...

Well, it just sounds lovely, but I have to admit I've never even heard of it.

Unknown said...

Holy cow, where do you live??? I've lived in...let's see...six cities, and I have never once celebrated May Day. No candy has EVER appeared on my doorstep! In fact I've [gasp] never even HEARD of this tradition! I'm moving to your neck of the woods.

KarenK said...

Wowza. I haven't dropped or received a May Day basket since I was little girl. I thought about doing some with Spicey this year but, yeah, the whole sneak up thing.

You have a seriously May Day fanatical neighborhood. Impressive. And oh-so-nice.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

We used to do May baskets in school every year and the only one we receive now is from my mother-in-law (she remembers everything). We hand delivered them though, have never heard of dropping them on the doorstep, that is so cool! It's funny how the tradition got lost in some places (or never started maybe).

Briana said...

I want to celebrate May Day, what is it? Who started it? How can I get my neighborhood to embrace the joys of giving and receiving candy? ~Briana(visiting from link on Sarah's blog)

Anonymous said...

I love May Day too! But my kids love it more!

Like you, it always sneaks up on me. Not this year. I was ON IT. Prepared as prepared could be.

Then ...

we were in the hospital. Darn it!

Came home to about 40 little cups and baskets on the porch.

I admit, I felt a little guilty, but ... it was a very nice homecoming! :)

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? I've never heard of such a thing! Candy on the doorstep!? It must be very regional.

I associate May Day with Communist goosestep-and-tank parades. They hijacked it from rural European peasants and workers (the whole dancing around the maypole thing...)

Kiki said...

I loved May Day as a kid but haven't gotten my kids into yet, they are only 2 and 1, so maybe next year. But I totally relate to the May Day sneaking up on me, I wrote the same thing on my blog yesterday. BUT, i have no guilt because we received no May Day baskets.

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous I want candy on my doorstep!

Tina said...

you know, reading these posts, I wonder ... what really IS May Day for anyway? Or do I really care? I mean, candy and popcorn from Heaven that's what I say!