Monday, January 29, 2007

Randomness on Monday Afternoon

Whew!

Just peeking in from the sick house to throw some sort of an update out there. Last week Nate was struck with The Plague which resulted in him remaining unconscious for almost two days straight. (Sleeping, not a coma or anything) As his stomach bug passed, my sinuses began their biennial pregnancy induced revolt. It's so fun how this always happens when I'm NOT allowed to take Nyquil. I love the stuff and would drink it straight from the bottle and sleep through the whole ordeal if I could, but alas, unborn child and everything. So I toughed it out armed with only Kleenex and breathe-right nose strips and large spoonfuls of butter cream frosting straight from the can. Don't the old wives always say "starve a fever, feed sugar to a cold?" I thought so. I'm going with it.

Because she was feeling left out, Gemma, who was on antibiotics for an ear thing, decided to have an allergic reaction to the pink stuff. It runs in the family starting with big sister Noelle. The last two kids to react have waited until day seven or eight of their prescription. When it happened to Caedmon, we were just sure it was the chicken pox despite his vaccinations. This time we were a little older and a little wiser and I recognized what was happening right away. She looked terrible, her whole little body was covered in red spots. It has slowly faded, but she still looks like she has the hydra-phobie, which is what we call every illness in honor of poor Old Yeller.

I'm a little less sniffley today, which is a good thing since the frosting is long gone. I have spent the morning laundering. I just wrapped up the fifth load of regular clothes and I'm ready to move on to the bedding. Good times. I also did a great job of covering up how techno-impaired I am. This morning the internet was down. I did all the right nerdy things that a good techno nerd is supposed to do, unplugging the modem, unplugging the router, rebooting the computer. Nate has taught me well. I finally resorted to calling our cable provider and waited on hold for fifteen minutes. She then instructed me to do all the things I had already tried, unplugging everything blah, blah, blah. But this time I noticed that when she had me unplug just the modem, the lights were still on and flashing. All the previous times I had been unplugging something else that wasn't the modem, who knows what, just not the modem. Hey, it's a whole tangled mess of cords back there, how was I supposed to know! Lo and behold, once I found the correct cord, it worked and I was up and running in two short minutes. "Oh wow! Thanks!" I exclaimed into the phone. I never told her that I had been doing it wrong the whole entire time. Promise me you won't tell Nate. How embarrassing. I guess I'm just a techno poser.

Back to the laundry and also to finding a substitute for the frosting. There has to be something else equally healthy around here, and I am determined to find it.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you and your whole household starts feeling better soon. I come from a family of 9 and we are all allergic to penicillin.

Handfuls of chocolate chips make a good substitute for frosting ... or popcorn spinkled with M&M's.

Congrats on the pregnancy ... not sure I knew about that :) !!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the sickies at the Laundry place. Just do like I do, on Sunday night by the donuts they have on clearance and make sure they are one your kids give a disgusted look too. (Or poke holes in them with your fingers so it looks like someone has licked them or taken bites.) Then nobody will eat them and you can have them all to yourself.

Heth said...

See, you guys are full of great tips. Handfuls of chocolate chips? M&Ms? Donuts? Yum.

Truth, you are a genius.

Anonymous said...

Honey toast? That might be good.

Mu kids are sick too today. Wish me luck.

Anonymous said...

I love the frosting too, but since it's guaranteed to make me sick as a dog, I had to find my own substitute. I love frozen yogurt. Not the smooth sugary stuff you can buy if you live in a real city, because I don't. Nope, I just pop a cup of yoplait in the freezer for a couple hours. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're starting to feel better, Heth! Speaking of chocolate chips, I went to make choc chip cookies the other day, got everything out but saw I had no vanilla. So I just ate the choc chips.

Anonymous said...

Five loads of laundry! I am impressed! Hope everyone is feeling better this morning. It is going around here too! The Church Guy came home not feeling well.

I missed you this morning.

Anonymous said...

you could just make chocolate chip cookies and say to the kids that you ''acidently sneased on it'' hahah

Anonymous said...

dang spelled sneezed wrong

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are sick! Even more Sorry you are having to care for a sick family while being sick yourself!

How about something with powder sugar...hey how about making that easy coffee cake with pie filling and powder sugar icing?!!? Too much work?!?!

How about just eating a can of pie filling? Boy, that could even count as a few servings of fruit for the day!

If all else fails...eat a bag of licorice! :)

Anonymous said...

hope you get better soon!

Anonymous said...

Your week does NOT sounds fun! I hope you are feeling much better and that your laundry pile is getting smaller!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that everyone in the house is not well. I will certainly keep you all in my prayers. Congrats on the pregnancy.