Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Ponder

I didn't realize it was the last time until it was too late. Suddenly it sunk in, Gemma hasn't nursed for a few days now. I missed the last time. I wanted to cherish it, to soak in every minute, committing her little face to memory as she looked up at me.

These are private moments. Sweet, tender, precious moments. Moments that I don't ever want to forget. I want to remember the first time I held Gemma against my body. She was a tiny, wrinkly, squinty little thing, fresh from my womb, eyes shut tight and fingers clenched into tiny fists. I also want to remember the last times Gemma nursed, pausing from her adventures long enough to snuggle up in my lap, then sitting up and smiling at me.

I was reading my Bible this morning in the second chapter of Luke. The same phrase popped out at me twice, in verses 19 and 51: "And Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart." I sat and thought about that for a little bit and I realized how much this applies to all of us mothers, not just the mother of our Savior. I can write about my kids' milestones and adventures. I can share the stories with my friends and family. But none of those things are as precious to them as they are to me. So I tuck all of these things away in the back of my mind and in the corner of my heart. Someday when I am old and wrinkly myself, I will pull these moments to the forefront of my mind. My children will be grown and will have little ones of their own, but I will still remember.

I will remember the way Jack, when he was three, woke every morning and announced to me with a furrowed brow "Mom, I didn't get ceeyo yet!" I will remember Tyler at eleven, still willing, every once in awhile, to hug me tightly and to tell me how much he loves me. I will remember the way Caedmon at five, held his sandwich in his fist, gnawing on it like a little starving beaver. I will remember Noelle as a nine year old and her stash of rocks in a Poptart box that she kept on her bed as a secret treasure. I will remember Camryn at age seven, with her fingers wrapped over her freckled nose as she still sucked her thumb, but only when she was tired. And I will remember Gemma weaned at 14 months without her mother even knowing it. I will treasure the way she wrapped her arms around my neck and patted me on the back as she snuggled into the crook of my neck.

I will keep these things and ponder them in my heart.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lump in my throat. So bittersweet it is....My one year old weaned this summer too....

Mary, mom to many
http://owlhaven.wordpress.com

Janelle said...

That's such a sweet post! I know just how you feel.

Natalie Joy said...

What precious moments to remember. I was just using that verse this morning in Bible study and how God often gives us as women dreams or goals that are too precious to Him to go spreading all around town. Thanks for sharing with us your deepest thoughts.

Sara said...

Tears here Heth. What a sweet post. I often wonder what it will be like when Bella weans...nursing is such an amazing, wonderful thing. I'm so glad you gave her the best thing she could have in her little tummy!

Well...I guess it's time for another baby to nurse :) tee hee.

Truth said...

Your post brought a flood of my own memories flowing from my heart where they are stored too. It seems like not that long ago that my baby girl weaned, but before me stands a young lady of 14. Could it really have been that long ago?

I love the way your posts tug at my heart.

Big Mama said...

This is such a sweet post. I'm always trying to store up all the memories I can because I know the days go by all too fast.

Anonymous said...

I loved picturing each kid as you described each memory. Precious.

Keithclan said...

I try to make my memories clearer by making them conscious, but they seem to fade to memories of memories, ocassionally. I seem to remember each child most clearly at different ages, usually the age they were right before their next sibling was born. I hope that i don't end up with a lot of "what kid was that?" Memories. If only I could pick and choose what is stored in my brain, I would get rid of 80's song lyrics and replace them with the exact smell of my babies to recall clearly at will...

Laura said...

Came over from your comment on Shannon's blog... tears streaming down my face now. With a 5 year old, I remember all too well how fast the years have gone by, before I even knew it... now with our baby almost 2 (in less than 48 hours!) I can't seem to make the clock stop long enough to enjoy them anymore.

Thanks for sharing such tender moments...

Anonymous said...

Keep writing, print it out, scratch it into a journal, write it on a gum wrapper, just get it in ink. All you mommas. If you don't want to forget a moment, then jot it down and stuff it in a folder. (I wish I would have written more.) And someday when you pull it out and share it, the siblings will fill in the other angles to the story and it will be such a great telling of the family history.

Sweet, sweet entry, Hezzie. Sniffle, sniff.....

melanie said...

girl you have got to stop this. everytime i read your blog i leave with tears and choked up. i picked the same verse, even when she was upset with Him at the temple she still pondered the moment in her heart. What type of a mom was she?
very sweet post heth.

Anonymous said...

Oh Heth. I know. Tom's last nursing was the same. It just sort of happened, and then he didn't want any anymore.

What a lovely, and bittersweet post.

Thanks.

Randi said...

Such sweet words...

I feel myself pondering so many things these days, mostly because my oldest is 18 and will move out soon. Ah, I will miss her so much (even if she lives a block away) and I am thankful for so many memories that are stashed away in my heart!

Anonymous said...

OK, this makes me cry and I'm not even nursing anyone.

Perri

Anonymous said...

I am facing weaning myself. He is almost 2. He was on the downslide and he got sick. Now he nurses all the time. Now that he is better I know he will beging to taper off again. Those are the best ways to wean though, is when you don't even realize it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Heth, I'm choking back tears reading about your precious children...and thinking about you and Nate as great parents. I know you're not perfect, but you two are really are A+, super. You truly demonstrate one of God's commandments - how to love. I need to go blow my nose now and have another good cry. :)

PastormacsAnn said...

What a beautiful post. I've often asked God to sear the memory of these precious times into my heart so that I would always remember them.

Beautifully said.