Thursday, December 03, 2009

December? Already?

Am I the only one that feels like Christmas has tiptoed from behind and then pounced? I hear talk all over of people putting up their lights and trees and being done with shopping as the month just begins. This year seems to be a little more laid back for the Laundry Pile family. We still have a wooden pumpkin hanging from our front door. Now mind you, it's the inside of the front door but it hangs just the same. Our thankful paper chain decks the halls in our kitchen. So far, there are no lights on the outside of our house, a first since we have lived here. And now it's a little too chilly to ask poor Nate to climb up on the roof to wrestle with half lit strings of lights, never to feel his finger tips again.

And I'm ok with it. At first I felt a little panic rise up inside me, maybe mixed with some guilt. Isn't it our responsibility to "make Christmas" for our kids? But as I've thought about it, I think this year we are going to just take things at our own pace. We'll eventually figure out what we want to do for a tree. Gifts will be purchased. Carols will be sung. I refuse to let it become insane. I'm going to take a deep breath, and just live December. I'm going soak in the Christmas story, remembering Jesus and why he came to walk on this planet. I don't think He is honored in our chaotic insanity. I think He's honored in our intentionality. I think as December unfolds before us, I'm going to ask Him which things He would have me put at the top of my to do list. And I'll wait patiently and expectantly for His answer.

16 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I feel like this post needs an AMEN! :)

I'm taking the "wait till the last minute" stance this year. It's gonna get crazy either way, I may as well savor the quiet right now.

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure I heard him say" Go to your mother-in-laws and make cookies!" lol you have the attitude I always wished I could have and stick with. When the kids were little, I always wanted to remain focused on the real reason, but it is so hard to do, it actually seems easier the older i get. yb

Sincerely, Jenni said...

I got my shopping out of the way (ALL DONE as of Monday!) so I can spend the entire month of December baking, watching Christmas movies, and enjoying time with my family. I wouldn't be able to do that if I was spending every eaking minute at the mall, I guess.

Good post. Do what's right for you and your family. And don't forget - decorations and outdoor lights don't make Christmas.

gretchen from lifenut said...

We are right there with you. I have nothing Christmas-y up. Yesterday, we got the boxes from the basement and I found the cards I bought at Target on clearance last year. That's always a feat.

I am not in a rush because when I am, I find myself tired of Christmas before Christmas arrives....

Beck said...

Christmas REALLY happens fast for us, because we celebrate St. Nicholas Day and that is THIS WEEKEND - and the next day is my husband's birthday, AND we celebrate Advent. So I have to be fairly well-organized about Christmas - but because I do most of the work for it in a bit panic in October, December is just relaxing and baking cookies.
I still don't know what I'm getting for my father-in-law, though. NO CLUE.

Anonymous said...

the same thing unexpectedly happened to me last december, and i'm purposely retaining the same attitude this year.

i'm over the craziness of the season; i want my family to just enjoy being together. we don't have a tree yet, all the autumn decorations are still piled on the dining room floor, i haven't thought about what to give anyone this year, and i'm not letting it bother me. we're traveling to see both our families this year, and i say that's a good enough gift for everyone.

nice post.

Anonymous said...

I love this! I told myself this year that I would only do what I wanted to - nothing more, nothing less. Soooooo not feeling the whole "send out a bazillion Christmas cards" thing - so I'm not going to:)

This will be a stress free Christmas full of the things we love to do because we want to, not because we feel obligated to. I think I'll start with a batch of chocolate mint cookies....and coffee:)

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

nicole said...

I'm trying to do the same. To just let the craziness whirl around me, but not IN me. Some days are frantic and I don't like that, but I'm trying to keep a sense of balance.

Natalie Joy said...

Christmas will come with or without our craziness... so might as well make it NOT crazy!! I really do hope you enjoy this time. :)

Truth said...

I like this post and hope I and hope I can remember those last words about waiting patiently and expectantly. Whew!

K said...

amen and amen. I may even quote you on my blog one of these days....He is honored in our intentions of remembering Him, not in our chaos of making Christmas the BEST EVER, or some silly notion like that.

K

melanie said...

so true girl. a breath a calmness :)

ann said...

Yes :)

Anonymous said...

You are a wise woman.

our little acorns said...

Thank you for this! I am feeling the chaos these days and the stress is settling in. And then I look at this new little babe (how are these babies 3 months old already?!) and want to just sit and snuggle him before he gets one minute older. Thank you for reminding me to slow down and not be scared to cut some things off the list.

jody s. said...

Can I just tell you that you are one of my Heros? You are. (Sara Otis Janssen ranks right up there too)
You let your love of life and your family and your God rule your life. That is how it is supposed to be - but we humans don't do too good of a job of it. I've been "admiring" from afar for quite awhile now. I'm praying blessings all over you today.
A voice from your past.