Friday, April 24, 2009

Bookworm


These are the three books I'm reading right now.

Me, Myself, & Lies by Jennifer Rothschild is the study that our church's women's ministry is working through. Good stuff. It deals with our thoughts and the things we tell ourselves all day long. I liked the analogy she gave of our stream of constant thoughts being the "soundtrack" to our life. She challenges us as women to fill our minds with the truth about ourselves found in God's Word.

I'm about a quarter of the way through Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax. Wow. I can't say enough or even begin to do justice to this book. It has been amazing and I would recommend it to anyone who has a son or anyone who works in the educational system. It has been a real eye opener so far and I can't wait to keep reading.

I've just started Crazy Love by Francis Chan. Francis is the pastor of Cornerstone Church in Simi Valley, California. I have listened to a few of his podcasts and he doing some crazy things out there in California. I watched this You Tube video and was completely challenged. I liked this line from an online review of this book. "Chan writes with infectious exuberance, challenging Christians to take the Bible seriously. He describes at length the sorry state of lukewarm Christians who strive for a life characterized by control, safety and an absence of suffering." Ouch. I have a feeling this one is going to mess with me and I'm looking forward to it.

Have any of you read any of these? Thoughts? Reviews?

14 comments:

jenni said...

Haven't read any of those yet. I'm doing the Me, Myself, and Lies study too, but haven't got my book yet. I'm excited for the study. Hopefully next week I'll finally be there.

melanie said...

i haven't.. ive had crazy love sitting around forever and haven't picked it up.. let us know what you think!!!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I need the boys one...for sure.

Anonymous said...

I too love (and struggle) with that line - "The absence of suffering". My semester ends in 3 weeks, so it looks like I'll be picking up a copy of that book to read during my down time. Thanks for the good read. Although I have a feeling it's going to mess with me as much as it will mess with you. But in that good way:)

ann said...

They sound really good, Heth. And I love your new profile picture.

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

I am very familiar with all three. I have not read Crazy Love but know Francis Chan and his ministry well.

Good stuff!

our little acorns said...

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll add them to my library hold shelf!

Gretchen said...

I have Boys Adrift. Read it years ago, and loved it!

momzie said...

Ha, you know me....how often do I actually finish a book? But thanks to flying recently and airport layover time, I acutally finsished a whole book! A Tale of Three Kings. I would like to read, and finish, the Crazy Love book. But I don't have any trouble finishing a big cup of coffee or a dessert....
Don't have to sit still too long for those 1

Duckygirl said...

These sound good and intriguing...I'll have to check them out! Thanks for posting your thoughts on them.

-Laura

gretchen from lifenut said...

With everything we've gone through recently, I'd be very interested to read Boys Adrift.

Thanks for sharing some recommendations.

Also, I've seen that You Tube video and it made me hang my head. Ouch, as you say...

Tiffany said...

we are doing Crazy Love with our community group -- it has a lot of big concepts yet written in a very simple everyday style. we really have been convicted and challenged by a lot of what he has to say.

Lizzie M. said...

They all sound great, I really need to pick up on my reading!

Laura Fever said...

Hey, I am a good friend of Sara Janssens, we were actually in her wedding together. I love your blog! You are hilarious! I am in the middle of crazy love now and LOVE it!