Last night we sat around watching home videos from four year ago. Four years isn't a very long time. Or is it? I was shocked at how much my kids had changed in that short time, some of them weren't even born yet. They all giggled at their own antics and I giggled too, at least a little bit. Part of me was really sad. I mourned the passing of that stage in each of their lives. Looking back you can see a bit of who they are now in the who they were then. But time doesn't let you look ahead to see a glimpse of who they will be. As I watched those moments on the tv, I tucked some of them away in my heart for a rainy day.
Jenni over at One Thing has written a beautiful reflection on the passing of time. Make sure you read her post Not I, if you explore her site at all, prepare yourself for some breath taking writing. And if you have a few minutes of extra time today (who really does?) why don't you pull out a home movie from four years ago and soak in how much of a difference a few years can make.
14 comments:
*****BLUSHING FURIOUSLY*****
That is so funny, we were watching home videos just the other day and I couldn't get over how much things had changed. I thought it was just when the kids were babies and such that it would be noticed. But nope, it is still huge.
I'll have to go over and read that post...
Heth,
Thanks for sharing this post. It was beautifully written.
Looking back on old videos and old pictures fills me with so many mixed emotions too. Its hard to see how fast they grow up sometimes, but its also a beautiful thing.
We don't get out the videos often enough. We do have the baby books where they are easy to pull out and we look at them a lot. Somedays I feel like it's been a hundred years since my oldest was born. Other times it seems like just yesterday. Is it just me or does parenting really warp your sense of time?
I wish I had video of my little ones when they were younger. I do love looking at old photos and remembering. Thanks for sharing.
It's hard to see em grow huh???? *tear*
ugh... i still need to transfer all my videos the camcorder tapes to the VHS tapes!
but i guess whenever i finally get around to that, i can watch them while i record. :) i know i will be in shock to see how much has happened in the seven years since we bought the camcorder!
that is so true, you can look back and see glimpse of who they have become, but you can never look ahead and peak at what they will become.
it would be crazy to watch it watches it all at once as He does with us.
jenni's post was beautiful. Especially her last paragraph.
The post you did about Grandma Margarette was similar. Funny how we don't think much about the womem who have passed through before us thinking and feeling the same things we do. I was always amazed at what my grandma could remember about her children without the help of dozen's of photos or video.
I think I will go find a video of YOU to watch- maybe 9th grade cheerleading practice??
oh ...dont make me cry! It goes so fast~ Im at the Paris in Vegas for a convention...thanks for the comment!!
It's so happy/sad! I don't have nearly enough footage, I feel, only snippets here and there on borrowed cameras. I wish I could put all those moments in my pockets and never lose them...
WE HAVE SPENT OUR DOWN TIME WITH HEAD COLDS WATCHING OLD HOME VIDEOS.
BECAUSE ITS IN HAWAII, WE REALLY FELT WARM ALL OVER. GREAT POST!
Post a Comment