Last month I decided it was time to change again. I had new dishes and I wanted to use them as a catalyst to get myself a whole new room. I chose some paint and got to work. Now let me just note that we were having a dinner party at our house on a Saturday night. What would a crazy pregnant lady like me decide to do? How about paint the kitchen on Thursday! So I did. I also had a whole list of projects for Nate to take care of like hanging curtains and installing a new light fixture and hanging up my pottery-barn-knock-off-message-center thingy. We worked our ever-loving butts off and got it all done just in the nick of time. Without killing each other. Here are some photos of the finished room. My flash really distorted the colors. The walls truely are blue, not the washed out white that shows up here. The bulletin board really does go with the dishes, I promise. Just trust me. So here is a quick tour.
This is the pottery-barn-knock-off-message-center thingy. I saw it in their catalog but didn't want to pay a couple hundred dollars for it, so I hit the lumber yard. I picked up some cork board, some peg board, and some masonite . I painted the pegboard red and the masonite with black chalkboard paint and then made Nate hang it all up. Like I said, the flash killed my wall color in this photo. Picture "Heavenly Breeze" blue.

This is me winging a window treatment. I picked up the curtain at Target with my fingers crossed that it would match. It did. Hooray! Then I needed something to hang on the three hooks that have been above the window since forever ago when I had actual plants hanging there. I decided to make a little craft and hung these letters. It' helps to remind the kids why we are all sitting around the table every night. And again, the color is all wrong. The blue in the frames is not near that dark and the wall is not so bleh.

Now when you see this picture you might think "what the heck?" But this is just me being a dork with my camera. For the first week or so after I finished the kitchen, I would come up the stairs from doing laundry or surfing the internet and I would get a glimpse of the room and remember "Oh yeah! That's right, I re-did the kitchen!" And I just loved it with the light fixture and the flowers and the paint color. So I took a picture. This photo is a whole lot more true to the colors in the room. That would be because I ditched the flash.

So there you have it. My kitchen is new. Well, except for the gold linoleum floor that we have been intending to replace for, let's see, seven years now. In fact when we painted the kitchen yellow, we pulled off all of the baseboards and didn't put them back up because why put them back up when you are going to get a new floor?.......seven years later. And there's also the non-wood super dark nasty cupboards but I don't want to talk about that.
22 comments:
Nice job! Lovely color and I really like your EAT sign.
You definately have a creative flair. I love what you have done. I found through the years, if you can do like you've done, it magically makes the "uglies" disappear into the background. Can you paint the cabinets? Gosh, since you do such a lovely job with paint, why not paint the floor too?
(Pregnancy must bring out the best in you!)
OH Heth it looks soooo serene...and those tulips in that vase are absolutely gorgeous...
Ok so you paint and you're cheap labor...hmmm and you have a man that will do what you ask...smart man...sooo well of course you cna come paint my rooms! I would even feed you... hehehe
Love you friend and I love tha tlast photo ...I can see every color and prefer a shot like that...
Very nice...
Love the window treatment. Good work!
WOOOOOW Heth. That is really a beautiful room! So creative too! I love it all, every little detail. You are the woman.
Cute, Heth! You are so crafty.
I love looking at people's remodel jobs. GREAT JOB! You were right, it was a little hard to see the true colors til the last picture. LOVE IT though! You know we put those sticky tile squares down in our laundry room and bathroom and it looks amazing. It took no time at all, and they were very cheap. Anyway your room looks amazing. Hope you had a great get-together.
Looks great! It has truly inspired me to forge ahead in our kitchen. Our house is about 30 years old and we did some "cosmetic enhancements" to the kitchen, but it needs a whole lot more. I let Randy know last night, in fact, that I am painting the hideous dark brown cabinets white this year....
Ooooh...it's divine. I love it. You are so creative. I think that your paint color is similar to my new bathroom color. Of course, I never want to see another paint can in my entire life after this whole apartment remodel. Oh my. I wish I could see it in person!
We pulled up baseboards eight years ago. Have we replaced them? Heck, no! I'm going for a new look. "Redneck Chic". It goes with the lawn littered with kid toys.
BTW - you should have your own HGTV show. I'd totally watch!
Love it, Heth! Great job on the board-very impressed you made it! And I love the E-A-T, too. Very cute.
BEAUTIFUL!!! I just love it! You are such a creative girl. I can't believe you've been there for seven years...Wow!
so cute, i love it. i do not (and would not) know where to start on my house!
I LOVE it. That message center is AWESOME. I've done a few Pottery Barn knock-offs around here too.
I have been wanting to do one for our home for quite some time now. I am looking to go for the fabic/ribbon type board....just can't figure out where I want to put it so I will know what size I need to make. I like that one though!! Great job!
It all looks so good! I love the E A T and the message board.
I followed you new dishes link and I love them! I wish it was time for new dishes for us - I would definitely buy those.
it IS awesome! Love Love Love Love it.
I'm loving what you did and I truly think when it comes to renovation, the journey is definitely NOT half the fun! Sighing with happiness at the END, yes.
It also strikes me as funny what we learn to put up with. When we first moved in (4 years ago) I was desperate to replace the kitchen countertops (pale blue). Other things took priority, however, and now I hardly think about them being blue anymore. Someday, though.....someday.....
I now have hope that I might be able to pull of my remodel jobs. I am not pregnant, nor do I have a dinner party any time soon. I do have a wedding in my back yard on June 2 (my oldest is getting married!!!) so I do have to have the bathrooms finished. One is almost done, the other is oh, so ugly and not even close. The wallpaper is partially peeled, the walls underneath are in bad shape so I will have to texture this room by hand and it has more wall space than the last one. I am tired, my arms and hands begin to ache just in the pondering process of it all. BUT, if you pulled it off, perhaps I can too!!!
Oh, I just love it, especially the EAT sign. In some ways, your kitchen reminds me of the perfect coffee shop.
Post a Comment