Monday, March 05, 2007

Four Questions.

Question number one:

Am I a bad person because I went through the 20 items or less lane with *gasp* twenty two items?
Ok, this is huge because I am normally not a rule breaker. I just can't break the rules. And also, one of my biggest pet peeves is people with a cart full, trying to sneak through on the speedy checkout lane. But yesterday when I saw that all the lanes were backed up at least three carts and every person looked like they were stocking up for the next two weeks, I glanced over at the 20 items or less lane. Not so bad. One family checking out, one guy with an arm full of stuff and room for me. YAY! I did a quick mental tally of the items in my cart and figured I was right at 20 items. Oops, I guess two bunches of bananas count as two seperate items, as do two cans of liquid squirty cheese. We are a picture of healthy eating. So long story short, my conscience ate away at me as I piled my loot on the 12" by 12" square of counter top. The glares coming from the couple behind me didn't really help. Sure enough, when I was handed my receipt the number of items sold read a shocking 22. I didn't sleep well last night.


Question number two:

Am I the only one who dances in my car?
I really need to know because I don't want to be the only dancing-while-driving idiot. I never notice anyone else getting their grove on while stopped at a down town traffic light. Sometimes a really great song will come on and I just rock it out. I don't dance well, but something about sitting down with a seat belt across my shoulder makes me feel a whole lot better about my abilities. My passengers think I'm weird. What do they know anyway? None of them have even hit puberty yet.


Question number three:

Not really a question but just an apology for my commas, again.
I warned you in my profile, I suck at commas. I read through an old post and was shocked at my lack of comma skills. Believe it or not, I did really well in grammar and all other forms of English in school. Once I graduated, I made up my own rules and decided to just throw a comma in anywhere I wanted a pause. So sorry. Also, just to get it off of my chest, I don't remember how to write in real cursive. I made up my own form of half printing, half cursive and I've just gone with it. There, I feel much better.


Question number four:

Again, not a question but just a loud exclamation of YIPPEE! It looks like no crazy ice/snow storms will be coming our way this week, which means that the kids will be back in school, Nate will be back at work, and we can all stumble back into some sort of a routine. A routine that includes chores, meals at predictable times, naps for small children and pregnant mothers, and coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. Hooray!

13 comments:

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

I am with you on the last one...YIPPEE! My house needs a break from all the games, hideouts, toys, dancing, music and other noise. Especially the kitchen!

Enjoy your day!

melanie said...

i totally dance in my car, and sing. and crank it up, and i am like 15. hope that i still am at 70, so you just rock it out!!

PastormacsAnn said...

I'm a car dancer too. And I think that 2 bunches of bananas count as one item. I take "20 items or less" to mean 20 DIFFERENT items or less. Okay, I'm stretching here but hey - at least you can get some sleep. Glad to hear at decent weather is in your near future, enjoy a good nap.

Brenda said...

I was sick last week so having Madison Home and No work was such a blessing!! God made it storm for me...........LOL I'm kidding of course, but anyway the answer to your questions, I don't think your a bad person for going in the express isle with lots of items because your heart was right....LoL ur so sweet....and Are you wierd for dancing in your van.....Yes....but I do it toooo Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......LOL!! Great Post!!!

Mary Craig said...

I am such a rule-follower, too. I have been at the store with a week's worth of groceries standing behind 4 other people in line, and a nice clerk will wave me over to the express lane to expedite my trip (when I have the kiddos with me). And even though I got OFFICIAL CLERK PERMISSION to go through the express lane I am sweating as I unload my cart! I guess as the oldest child and a former teacher I come by it honestly!

Oh, and I totally dance in my car!

Heth said...

Mary C- I think you are on to something with the oldest child thing. I'm the oldest too, hmmmmmm.

Unknown said...

Dancing in the car is definitely IN! I love jamming and doing some sweet shoulder moves while driving safely (of course). I especially enjoy seat-dancing even more when my hubby is driving. I like to do strange and quirky moves and see how long it takes him to crack or at least give a raised eyebrow in my direction. (On that note, maybe you should start hanging around more normal people). :)

Anonymous said...

LOL Heth...I personally think that 2 bunches of bananas count as one item, and ditto the cheese cans. I do that all the time. I figure nobody in their right mind goes into WAL MART if they are in a hurry anyway and if they do they need to learn a hard lesson, which I am happy to provide.

Oh, and you've been added to my blogroll; this makes your day, no?

Reverie Road said...

1. Those are really just suggestions anyway.

2. Tommy Callahan and Richard Hayden (aka Chris Farley and David Spade) do it too.. .and they also sing. They're really good. I would never do that though. never.

3. no, problem, thanks, for, sharing.

4. ah... I can smell the coffee and hear the silence.

Truth said...

That count thing happened to me once and I felt guilty for days. Dancing in the car? Absolutely! And I am an erroneous comma user also. I too was once good in grammar, but I started writing the way I talk. That equals rambling, run-on sentences so you just gotta throw in a whole bunch of commas to make it all come out right.

Julie Q. said...

Commas schlommas. Correct grammar is way overrated. And this is coming from a college professor here. I can't believe how much more fun it is to write without rules. Since I started blogging I have become a huge slacker and I'm doing all the things I tell my students not to do. Like sentence fragments. And starting sentences with "and." And to heck with commas. Just let it all hang out sister.

Deena Peterson said...

I too stress over having 12 items in a 10 items or less line...and gaze with envy at those with 23 items who don't even flinch...alas, I feel your pain!! LOL!

Janean said...

I have been known to squeek through the "Express" aisle. If you buy 10 of one item, doesn't it count as 1 thing? :D
And yess, I dance in the car. The kids think I'm insane.
I'm glad you're done with storms. I'm ready for some spring weather myself.