
I think I have made it abundantly clear that I love Twinkies. Let's all take a look at the math going on behind this lovely treat.
Sponge cake + creme filling = perfection.
When I turned 30 this year, (I still don't want to talk about it) two of my dear friends hooked me up with a dream come true. (my running partners of all people!) The flower delivery guy came to my door with 30 balloons. You can see them here where Jack was releasing them from their ribbon leashes to dance upon the ceiling. Tied to the bottom of these beautiful balloons was the perfect gift. A bag of pecan pie flavored coffee and a cook book. Not just any cook book, a Twinkie cookbook full of 40 recipes to be made using a secret ingredient: Twinkies. Some of the concoctions include Twinkie Sushi, Twinkie Pancakes, Ribbons and Bows Twinkie Wedding Cake, Twinkie Milkshake, Twinkie-Misu, and Deep Fried Twinkies with Raspberry Syrup. Because if a Twinkie is only 150 calories, you DEFINITELY need to deep fry it to add some more Yippee! to the party.
We tried the Twinkie pancakes as soon as we possibly could. Basically, you make your regular pancake batter and when you pour the batter onto the griddle, you place 3 thin slices of Twinkie onto the top of each pancake before you flip it. Then you flip it. Then you put in on your plate, drown it in butter and syrup and gobble it right down. I can't begin to express to you how fabulous those pancakes were. The marriage of my two food loves. *sigh*
Last night we tried another recipe from this now-a-family-heirloom cookbook. Twinkie Ice Cream Cake. Because I am a kind and giving and loving person, I am going to share this recipe with you. A couple of notes: Make sure you use an extra deep pan or you will be swimming in melted ice cream. I didn't plan ahead so I had to cut back on the amount of ice cream I used so that it all fit into the pan, but it was still delicious. Also, make sure you set aside some Twinkies for eating while you make this. Don't muzzle the ox.
Twinkie Ice Cream Cake
Crust:
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 gallon chocolate ice cream (in a box), slightly thawed
18 Twinkies (plus the ones you are going to eat)
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, at room temperature
1/2 cup chocolate sauce
1 cup frozen nondairy whipped topping, thawed
candy sprinkles or toasted chopped nuts for decorating (optional)
To prepare crust, combine the cracker crumbs, confectioners' sugar, and melted butter in a bowl and mix well. Transfer to a 9 by 13 inch baking dish and press evenly into the bottom of the dish.
Cut the chocolate ice cream crosswise into 1 inch thick slices and arrange on top of the crust. Cut 12 of the Twinkies in half lengthwise and arrange cut side down in a single layer over the chocolate ice cream.
Cut the remaining 6 Twinkes into 1 inch pieces and stir into the softened vanilla ice cream. Spread the vanilla ice cream mixture over the Twinkies. Drizzle on the chocolate sauce, then spread with the whipped topping. Decorate with candy sprinkles or nuts.
Freeze for at least 2 hours, until firm. Set out 10-15 minutes before serving. Cut into squares to serve.
Now print this out and make it. I mean it.
18 comments:
LOL!! "Don't muzzle the ox" I love it!
The Twinkie cake sounds yummy! My husband's favorite sweet are the Ding Dongs, lol. I am going to be making the Twinkie cake substituting with the Ding Dongs for his birthday. I can't wait to see the look on his face! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
Mrs. Carrot
OH how funny. A twinkie cook book!
Side Note: I don't know about you but the pregnancy is wearing me out yet again. I ran the dryer with no clothes in it yesterday....for the first time in my life!
Oh, Heth, I love you! This is a really bad time of day for me to be reading about Twinkies...4:15! Now I am totally craving a Twinkie, I don't know that I have ever even liked them. But being the cool girl that you are, and me wanting to be cool like you...I find myself convinced that I need to go buy a box of Twinkies! Thanks!
hahahaha. love it. i never knew you were a math genius!!
Yummy yum....
I absolutely love YOU, but I can not share your love of twinkies. The cream just makes me gag! I do love dessert though, so we'll have to get some this weekend! YAY!!
That sounds delish!!! What a great gift!!
I love twinkies too, but I don't buy them. My son and I are the only ones in the family who like them, so guess who would eat the box full now? But hey, maybe they might change their mind if I created something else with them. Nope, probably not. I'd eat them before I ever had the chance to cook 'em.
Oooooo ... sounds yummy. I'm going to the store this morning ...
I'll be picking up some twinkies!
Dang.
I'm sorry...but posts like these need to come with a warning label: "Reading this blog can cause intense food cravings. Before reading, make sure car has gas and keys are in hand."
Anyone got a Twinkie??
Oh my goodness. The Twinkie Cookbook horrifies me, LOL. I've just managed to avoid making the Krispy Kreme bread pudding. Now there are Twinkie pancakes?
It's from the devil... ;-p
What's this?! Krispy Kreme bread pudding?! I haven't heard of this yet, Angelika, do tell!
My kids want to live with you :-)!
Krisy Kreme Bread Pudding...hmmm, do tell!!!! I'm with you, Heth, never heard of it, but now I'm craving it!!!!
oh my word....
Who needs the Betty Crocker cookbook when you have the Twinkie cookbook? So glad you're getting some use of the book. I think I'll go grab a Twinkie now. :)
Post a Comment