This morning a verse jumped off of the pages of my bible.
1Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
This afternoon I was driving home from a shopping trip with a half empty bag of Frosted Circus Animal Crackers nestled in my lap. Slowly that verse eased it's way from the back to the front of my mind. I closed the bag and moved it to the passenger seat with a deep sigh. Sometimes conviction stinks.
Also, just for the record. All three of my littlest ankle biters were perfect angels in Target today. I just felt like I needed to write that down. And maybe date it. March 21st, 2007.
9 comments:
Ah, conviction. A couple of days ago I downed a bag of mini chips ahoy. So good, but so bad at the same time!
Ahhhh...the power of sugar! I say that with much love and admiration for the stupid stuff!
I am proud of you that you put the bag away...that is hard!
aw man, so much for my oreo's...
I don't think pregnant women are allowed to be convicted about sugar. Maybe God was just messin' with you.
:)
Uh oh. Does this apply to Twinkies as well, or are they considered "helpful?" Hehehe!
that's a great translation. i tried giving up sugar for a year, it lasted a very long month. i realize that it is a gift from Him to me, right..?
Ouch! I don't like conviction like that much-but I DO love those iced animal cookies. I had to quit buying them because my kids didn't like them.
You're so right about conviction stinking! That would be me. My problem is coffee - actually, not exactly the coffee, just the yummy stuff you put in it. MMMMMmmmmm....Southern butter pecan.
Rabbi Harold Kushner raised the question in his book "The Lord's Shepherd" - Why is it that people can fast or avoid certain foods if their religion requires it but we can't stick to our own diets? Obviously our promises to God matter more than our promises to ourself.
Not sure how that applies here, but your story brought it to mind. Good thing I haven't promised myself that I won't eat this whole bag of chocolate mini eggs.
Post a Comment