Hindsight is twenty-twenty, I'm sure glad that foresight isn't.
When I was sixteen years old, I had a lot of ideas about what my life would hold. Some of my hopes and dreams involved very fancy dinner parties that would require me to wear fabulous gowns everynight. Fast forward to a few days ago.....
How could I have known that on that day I would be in a bathroom stall in a women's restroom of a local pizza joint? How could I have known that I would be unsuccessfully wrangling a very wiggly eighteen month old while trying to assist a partially potty trained three year old with his accident. And with out going into too much detail about the details, I was trying to prevent his accident from dropping out of the pant leg of his pants and onto the floor. I was also sending up prayers that my five year old would still be playing arcade games when I came out of the bathroom and that he had not been abducted by a psycho.
Fast forward to later that afternoon. Now I am dragging my three littles through a Super-Store trying to stock back up on diapers, groceries, and various essential paper products. It was announced that a bathroom break was needed, so we abandoned our half full cart and headed once again for the bacteria cesspool, I mean public restroom. Before I could stop him, partially potty trained child was attempting the ever advanced "standing to urine" position. It didn't end well. Again, I was tying to keep little miss eighteen month old and her grasping hands from touching anything, while wiping up the spray that was now on the walls, toilet, and floor.
The third detail in this adventure was the fact that it was a very cold day and my children were all wearing boots. Well, at least they were when we went into the store. At some point, (before the second bathroom event) while riding in the semi truck version of a shopping cart, (you know, the one with the molded seats that face each other but make for more trouble than they are worth and the seatbelt straps are always broken and even if they aren't, they never prevent the children from escaping the confines of the cart) one small child decided that he didn't need his boots any more. Off they came and a very gracious employee chased me down and returned them to me. I could see that the boots weren't going to stay on those little tootsies and by now the child had decided that socks were optional also. I proudly pushed my cart full of groceries, diapers, paper products, a non-abducted, still here, five year old, and a barefoot three year old. Still wrangling the baby.
You know, it's probably a really good thing that my sixteen year old self couldn't see this coming. She would have probably mourned the loss of her dinner parties and dresses and maybe even ran screaming from the room. But this twenty nine year old version of myself isn't mourning anything. As much as I dislike shopping with barefoot partially potty trained squirmy video gamers, I am eating up every minute of it. Because know what? I have no idea what is coming next, but it can't get much better than this.
20 comments:
There was one day when I was very pregnant and my mostly potty trained daughter had to go when my cart was mostly full. I dragged her into the disgusting bathroom and into a stall at which point she realized that they were automatically flushing toilets, which she couldn't handle. She tried to cry and get out of it but I believe I said something kind and gentle like "you WILL use the potty now!!!!"
She went. I paid for our groceries. We went home. It was lovely.
If it makes you feel any better...my "potty-trained" three year old went to the bathroom at church yesterday..."all by herself". Needless, to say, a three year old and a handicap toilet don't mix well. I spent the next twenty minutes in the ladies room tending to my little one...who was throughly upset that she could no longer wear her tights. A teenager came in and turned around and left...the smell was too much for her! ;)
You gotta love when your older girls come running to you telling you that your littlest one...blah, blah, blah...I did need to apologize for the inappropriate details given by them to the poor lady that I was visiting with at the time. Ugh!
Glad to hear that all in well in poopy-ville!
i love it!
take me next time! sounds like fun!
Fabulous post!! I still think this is why I had all my kids so young - I was too naive to know there would be any other kind of life! Now that they're older, it's fabulous to be left out of all those "bodily functions". ;-)
So glad that I am not the only one with catastrophic visits to the public bathroom. Its so much fun with 3 boys, the oldest of which refuses to go in the ladies room.
OHHHHHHHHHH i love your adventures I would have loved to giggle with you as they brought back the boots, im laughing sooo hard...I love our life and wouldnt trade it for anything! I only have 5 but the adventures make it worth every single moment...and um I did catch the sneeze in the comment section and If I catch the babybug I know who to blllaaammmeee heheheh
Heth, you are my hero. I'm not kidding.
You always make me smile Heth...and you're right, you at 16...you probably would have said..."LIKE, whatever!" and went off to drink some Mountain Dew and Butterfingers. But I love the 29 year old mama who is full of wisdom and spunk. I love her I love her I love her. Because I can barely deal with ONE toddler potty accident in the public restroom!
You know what I HATE about those carts? Not that anyone asked... but, when you are unloading the goodies on the conveyor the kids are the furthest away from you and they are right next to the candy! I hate that.
I am soooo with you ...
I lost a perfectly good pair, and very expensive (because of double width little Smilee) of shoes that way because she thinks it's comical to discard ANYTHING on her feet as we wisk our way through the Super Mart ... usually in the "bacteria pond" they call a rest room, while Princess is checking out the place, oops, I mean going potty like a big girl. :)
The joys! I'm glad I'm not alone ... in thinking these are the best days of my life. I know!
oh that is so cute
Your not the only crazed woman who has lived through that type of day and lived to love it! me too me too
I Love your atittude it's awesome!
except my youngest is 3 so I can look back now with love too
Ah, you're so right. I had no thoughts at 16 that I would even be married, much less married and mother of 5 children getting ready to adopt two more. Would my 16 year old self have chosen this life? No probably not. Good thing I didn't know what I'd be in for - think of all the joy I'd have missed.
Well said Heth. Bravo!
Oh my gosh, this reminded me of when my son was potty training. Not that this is funny or anything. But he ran in to go while his 5 year old sister was already sitting on the pot. He'd just learned to stand, so stand he did. Then he proceeded to go all over his sister's shoes, and pulled down clothing that was around her ankles.
I miss those days. Well, sometimes.
You are a brave woman. Great post...
That is so true !!!! I think we all have our days like that as parents.
It's probably a good thing we didn't see those days coming when we were 16 :)
Deborah
Your perspective is wise beyond your years. I feel most sorry for the children whose parents are so mean-spirited to them for the child-like behavior in the shopping carts. If only those kids could look up into the loving eyes of a mom like you.
Im still smiling at this post heheh
Oh, I love it, Heth. I'm laughing while reading your stories. Someday in many years while pounding the pavement together, I'll be telling you the exact same story. You can laugh and say, "Oh yes, that's what made life fun." I think I'll go read your blog again, like usual. They're too good to read only once.
WOW! YOu know, I've been having a hard time lately with the fact that I won't be having any more babies.
Well, you cured that with one ten-minute read! :D LOL
I REMEMBER Now! THank you!
God bless and thanks for the giggles.
Post a Comment