Whew! What a whirlwind that was. We had six Christmases in a span of three days. Two Christmases a day. Craziness I tell you, but wonderful and worth it.
I went into this Christmas thing feeling very unprepared this year. It seemed like I just never got one step ahead. Gifts were bought at the last minute and wrapped at the last minute. Food pantry donations went to the schools the day after the deadlines. Teacher gifts were bought the day before. We were wrapping just hours before piling in the car for the next gift exchange. It was exhausting. But there were oh so many highlights for me this year.
Watching the kids open their gifts from us was just priceless. They were delighted with what we had bought them and they all took turns playing with each other's gifts, even the little kitchen set that Gemma received. I'm sure the big ones wouldn't admit it now, but I witnessed each of them, taking their turn making imaginary pancakes.
We had a magical time with Nate's family. It was bittersweet. We have so many wonderful memories of Christmas with his Grandma Margaret. It seems like Christmas every year was her shining moment. She went all out and the traditions were set in stone and loved by all. I feel so blessed to have been able to join in those traditions for the few short years that I did. I too got to experience Christmas in Grandma Margaret's basement and all that it entailed.
And then there was new baby Emily, two weeks old. My newest little niece was an angel. I completely hogged her and held her every minute that I could. Andrea, Eric, and their kids are enroute to Ohio today. So Christmas was our last goodbye. I couldn't help but weep to see them go. The grief of having them live so very far away snuck up behind me. But oh what a special time we had together before they left.
So as I write this, I see that Christmas this year was just one big cry-fest. And also, there should be rules about church service on Christmas Eve. No tear jerking services when there are pregnant women present in the congregation. We dressed all the kids up in their cutest clothes and I even wore massive amounts of jewelry. Come on, it's Christmas, when else can a girl get away with that many bangles? But the one thing I neglected was waterproof mascara. When they showed the scene of Christ's birth from the new movie the Nativity, it was all over. Wow. That was amazing. And as I sat there surrounded by my beautiful children and my steady husband and every single one of my siblings and my amazing parents, I was completely overwhelmed with love. I felt so unbelievably unworthy. What a sacred blessing my family is. And then my makeup was completely gone as I sat there and sobbed. And Mom announced that we were taking Christmas pictures after service. GAH!
There were so many more moments, but I think the one that stands out most was the holy time we spent on Christmas morning at my parents' house. Every year it is tradition to sleep over. All sixteen of us. Then we all drag down to the living room at the urging of my brothers, the self declared "Christmas Council". I think Nate is an official member too. We all sit around the living room in the low light with Christmas music playing lightly. One of the grandkids reads an excerpt of the Christmas story from the Bible and then my Dad passes around his Christmas letter. Every year he writes a beautiful letter to his family and we read it on Christmas morning. But this year we added something new. This year we took communion as a family. I can't even begin to explain to you how special that moment was. I hope it is a tradition we continue every year.
Now all the gifts are put away. The train set and the swords come out multiple times a day from their respective Rubbermaid tubs. Noelle has been crafting away for the past few days and we have the homemade pot holders to prove it. I spent the whole morning playing Digi-makeover. By myself. Caedmon wasn't very happy about the afro I gave him. Nate has the week off from Christmas to New Year's so this whole week feels very festive, despite the fact that the tree is long gone. It had become very crunchy, kind of like shredded wheat, and was a potential fire hazard, so I sent it packing December 26th. Now if we could just get some snow around here. Nate and Tyler took off to go snowboarding on man made snow. Iowa in December is so very unpredictable. But even without the white stuff, what a wonderful Christmas this was.
Even though I didn't feel prepared, Christmas came anyway. And even though the world wasn't ready, You came anyway. I'm so very grateful that you did. Thank you Jesus.
7 comments:
Oh that sounds so wonderful! What a blessing you have with so much family. I loved hearing about having communion with the family-what a wonderful tradition to begin while yours are still small. I also love the idea of your dad's Christmas letter. My mascara would never have lasted either through your many Christmas'. Thanks for sharing.
Heth, that was beautiful. I love the idea of taking communion as a family!
So now you're gonna make my mascara smear too! Thanks for giving us a glimpse of your beautiful Christmas.
I join you in thanking God for giving us such undeserved love through Jesus Christ His Son!!!!
how sweet heth, beautiful. i don't know how you do all the Christmases, but you are so blessed!!
Heather,
This was so beautifully written. I can hear the joy in it all.
Beautifully said, Heth. You are indeed blessed.
imaginary pancakes...!
so sweetly written, heth
Post a Comment