Wednesday afternoon I made a double batch of chocolate chip cookies. I nibbled on the dough a bit, because know what? I can. I am the mommy now and I don't have to ask to lick the beaters. Or share them. I baked up six or seven dozen, I'm not sure, I lost count. Last night, Thursday night, while all of the children were sleeping soundly in their beds, I opened the container and pulled out the last three cookies. I looked at them sitting next to my glass of cold milk and I faced a huge decision. Should I eat all three? I promise if there were five or even seven, I would have asked the same question. Should I eat them all? But my mother's intuition kicked in. I ate two and bagged up the last one to be stashed in a secret place. In a place where no one would find it except me. Because I knew.What did I know? I knew that today was no school. I knew that all the kids can't possibly be on their best behavior all at once. I knew that they would start bickering about things such as whether or not "one, two, skip a few, ninety-nine, one hundred" is a legitimate way to count to 100. I knew that sometime in the middle of the afternoon, my body would start screaming for a chocolate chip cookie and I would become desperate. I knew that I would need a little nest egg. One little cookie. My secret hoard. And it is so worth it.
13 comments:
Uh ... YEAH! Hiding that cookie was smart -- Especially since you'd probably have to whip up another SEVEN DOZEN COOKIES only THREE days later!
And you didn't share with us! Humph.
From the woman who has been eating cake icing all day: I UNDERSTAND.
Wise, wise mommy. (I would have snarfed it and regretted it later)
My son was lead, by God I can only assume, to make a double batch of brownies yesterday. I didn't find out until late last night that I'd have all three home (with friends) so I started first thing, brownie for breakfast... coffee and brownie snack... brownie lunch... so far so good. :)
Kinda like that commerical where the mom hides the Mint Milanos. Like what is funny about that???! Doesn't every woman have a secret stash?
That was wise choice to save it for later.I also make choc chip bars they were also very yummy.My father in law did me the favor of eating them He ate them all.
Love,Char
My kids think it's great to count to 100 the same way.
I don't think I could have save one cookie til later. I would have eaten all 3.
This is so me--I stash emergency rations too!!
Mary
Yeah, I would have eaten them. Except this one time, at Christmas, the kids got a big huge bag of M&Ms. When we brought them home I put them in a cupboard but we all totally forgot about them. About a month later, I found them!!! I didn't tell anyone, and so I'd sneak in there and eat them, handfulls at a time. I ate the whole bag. Didn't take very long either, maybe just a couple days.
Totally relate. I've got plenty of my own little "nest eggs" hiding around my house. Mamas have to survive, too!
Oh this cracks me up. It's amazing how a little chocolate on a crazy day can keep me from going postal.
It's funny how a little sugar can give a person the energy to keep up with the kids! Don't all mommies keep a little stash on hand? I do!
Your blogs absolutely make me laugh! Love 'em!
Post a Comment