Everly is one month old, but according to her ever-so-wise, still in diapers himself, big brother Toby, she is still "the New Baby". Like, that's her name. He can say "the Ah-ver-lee" and he says it with such a charming English accent, but for the most part he calls her The New Baby. So I'm wondering when that newness will wear off. When she'll become a regular old part of the crew and her celebritydom will cease to exist according to her big brother.
Will it be when her infant acne finally clears up and her skin returns to it's original porcelain state? Or maybe when (please dear Lord) she starts sleeping through the night. Right now she's very bi-polar when it comes to sleeping, some nights are awesome, some are miserable. According to Noelle, she's nocturnal.
Maybe her newness will fade when she spits up on big brother for the first time. Not so cute when she's projecting goo all over you is she Tobes? Maybe it will be when he loses interest in her "toys". The pacifier is so enthralling and what two year old boy can resist trying to sit in a gorgeous pink and brown bouncy seat?
Is she still new until she quits bathing in the kitchen sink and finally moves to the tub with the rest of the big kids, soaking amongst the squirty toys? Is it when we have to start picking up choking hazards because she is on the move? Maybe she isn't the new baby any more when she starts pulling hair and biting. Maybe when she says her first words.
I don't know when. I know right now it feels like she is such a mystery. I find myself looking at her and wondering who she is and who she's going to be. While at the same time it feels like she's been here forever and I can't remember life without her. I think in my mind, all of my kids are still "the new baby". Even the 14 year old in football cleats. Do you think he would be embarrassed if I started calling him that from the bleachers?
7 comments:
"Not so cute when she's projecting goo all over you is she Tobes?" I laughed out loud when I read that. You are so funny and what a great post.
And yes, a 14 year old would be embarrassed...maybe you ought to try it. At least in the car on the way to the game. And take his picture as he rolls his eyes.
Through my old job we had a few babies and wee smalls come through our house, the agreement with my children was that once there was walking and talking small people were babies no longer.
i don't know, heth...alex just turned 2 and he is still the new baby to us. i think he always will be, unless we do ever have a new baby again.
my favorite post ever. the sweetest.
Sweet post, Heth. I can't wait to meet The Ahverly.
To yell that from the bleachers would be worse than getting picked up from school is a certain vehicle. ;-)
Sigh. We just hit the one-month mark too (yesterday) and I am moping around in denial. I want this babe to be a newborn forever...is that wrong?! One of the older boys said the other day, "I can't wait til Ari starts CRAWLING!" and I thought, "dear Lord, NOOOO!" I'm so not ready to have one "on the move" again.
Post a Comment